Scotoilers....what's the deal?

The essential art of farkling.
Alun

Scotoilers....what's the deal?

Post by Alun »

I'm looking into buying a Scotoiler for the 955 Tiger. The idea is less maintenance and extended chain life, which would be nice. Has anyone used one? Did it perform as well as expected? Did it enhance your life! What's the downside?
Treadtrader

Re:Scottoilers....what's the deal?

Post by Treadtrader »

I would'nt say there is a downside.
Just did 1600 miles touring Scotland on the Trophy with scotoiler, chain is just nicely oiled and clean, no crap on bike either.
They can be a bit fiddly to set up but, once done, no more maintenence.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Re:Scotoilers....what's the deal?

Post by Alun »

Hi Dave, on a scale of 1 to 10 how fiddly is fiddly? Trust you had a great time up North.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

About 7/10
I'll post a trip report soon, but great trip.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Look forward to reading your trip report Dave. And I've just read the scotoiler fitting instructions for the Tiger....
As you'll probably know all 955i engines have hard plastic, corrugated vacuum tubes which won't seal on the inside with a T-piece, so, we supply a "T-piece with Viton" which has Viton rubber tubing on the straight through barbs. You cut the vacuum tube (choose the longest one to give you room for the T-piece) and push the cut ends into the Viton so that it seals on the outside of the corrugations.

There isn't a lot of room for the reservoir but it can (just) sit under the seat horizontally - not ideal on its own but with a Lubetube, it doesn't matter.

Note. The Lubetube can sit lower or at the same height as the RMV but must not be placed any higher than it.

The most reliable method of mounting the dispenser is to secure it with the dispenser plate on the rear spindle. I've also sent you a couple of self adhesive tube clip to route the delivery tubing along the swing arm (see photo of CB1300 swing arm) as superglue doesn't bond well with the bare alloy and the conduit supplied in the kit. Just make sure the surface is totally clean before sticking them on.
That reads like major surgery to me, I'll need a nurse to mop my brow on this one.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Reckon i could sell tickets for this.

"Alun trying to do plumbing"
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

There are alternatives;
I have the ProOiler, Belgian company but with good email backup and advice, fitting was fairly straight forward with an electrical feed and a connection into the Speedo hall sensor. It’s pumped and can take differing types of oil and can change the flow on the move to suit conditions. Works on fling off process same as the Scotty, so expect oil spots to cover the back. I check the reservoir every time the seat is off and keep it topped up, if needed a larger pot could be fitted as it comes supplied with a standard 110ml Nalgene bottle as oil pot.
The flow, being pumped requires calibrating for your wheel / hall sensor and that took a while but I’m more spanner and hammer than fine gauge and counting.
Recommendable,
fiddly to set up but easy to fit, now its calibrated at least an 8 out of 10 build quality is very good
http://www.pro-oiler.com/
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Paul C

Post by Paul C »

I've been doing a daily 40 mile commute, with a Scottoiler fitted, for the past year or so. In my experience it's difficult to get the balance right, either too much or not enough. The flow rate varies with ambient temperature, so you have to turn it up in winter and down in summer.

I thought I had a small oil leak from the bottom of the engine recently, but it seems to be a build-up of excess, flung off the front sprocket (TBC).

I'd still recommend one for extending chain life, but you and your bike will probably end up covered oil spots...

- Paul C
...I just want to ride!
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Did a 1600 mile tour of Scotland last month on my Triumph Trophy.
Fitted new chain & sprockets before i went.
Came back in the rain, very little oil on rear wheel but a nice oily sheen on chain.
The Africa Twin i recently sold had done 12,000 miles on it's chain with no signs of wear.
Works for me.
Alun

Post by Alun »

The Scottoiler is on and I hope it's worth the effort. I went for the touring version so there's a nalgene bottle and a feeder tube wedged under the seat. Apparently the bottle plus tube is good for 3000 miles. Can't comment on anything else other than how well it looks on the driveway. First ride out tomorrow.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”