FFS......

The essential art of farkling.
snaphappy

Re: FFS......

Post by snaphappy »

On a long haul, overlanding for a year or more completely self sufficient...Brilliant idea, dont think they have been made for the weekend rally rider.

Have a look at the trailers available for overlanding pushbikes. Much better weight distribution, Would use it with a chain drive only though, Sprocket tuning is easier than re-gearing a final drive.

For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

They're not dangerous.
NOW THIS WAS DEADLY!!

Harty

Post by Harty »

Not as bad as this!!! :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

And you Panza boys wonder why you get the piss taken out of you ;) :laugh:
.....eat my dirt!
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Or there's the B&Q version.

Happiness has 125cc ...
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Freeloadeur wrote:Or there's the B&Q version.

Speed rating of a barrow tyre is walking pace. boom. :woohoo:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
davsato

Post by davsato »

(this particular one may be ABR obsession gone too far, but.....) i cant see why a single wheel trailer on a UV jointed hitch would make much difference to the bike?
in fact it makes a lot of sense to me, the bike suspension isnt overloaded, and its narrower than the bike with panniers on. just remember the extra length!
Dave
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Harty, that tent in your pics, for a minute I thought the URL printed on it started with an N :laugh:
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

I have towed trailers behind my GS for many hundreds of miles. Mostly two wheels - the only single wheel trailer I have towed was very small.

The effect on handling is very slight - it is realy hardly noticeable. It is certainly much less than piling a bike high with luggage as you often see. There are other advantages too - I don't have to swing my leg over a stack of luggage on the pillion seat, and if I unexpectedly need something en route (tools, or puncture kit for example) I don't have to unload everything to get to the bottom of the panniers.

Then the extra space available means I can upgrade much of my kit. I can have a tent in which I can stand to get dressed, and a bed instead of a karrimat. I can also take a comfortable folding chair, and if it pisses down I can sit in the chair inside the tent. When the weather is nice, I have a BBQ.

More luggage space also means that I don't have to squeeze everything as compact as possible, which means less time and effort breaking camp in the morning.

There are some disadvantages too. A trailer does hamper your filtering capability, but on holiday I tend to avoid areas where I might need to filter. For me, getting away from that sort of crap is a large part of the value of a holiday. When commuting, I tend to use Givi E21 panniers and/or tank bag and/or top box and/or tail pack - whatever works best that day. Occasionally, however the trailer is useful for work. A couple of weeks ago I was working at a client's site for a few days - using the trailer meant I could arrive on site, dump my bike gear in the trailer and be dressed for work within a few minutes of arriving.

Lower speed limits do apply when towing a trailer - 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways, 50mph on other 'national speed limit' roads. You can treat those limits with exactly the same level of respect which you give to ordinary limits. Gatso cameras don't recognise trailers, so you won't trigger them until you exceed their normal threshold.

Travelling more slowly has some advantages - lower fuel consumption and less fatigue mean less time and money spent in service stations, so overall journey times tend to be similar.

So, given the choice of a GS loaded to the limits and with a couple of spare tyres perched on top, or one with the same amount of kit stowed onto that trailer, I would take the trailer every time
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

If you're going to get all logical then I could see for a two up mainly road tour it does make sense in a strange kind of way. Possibly less sense is making it using four panniers instead of one large box.

Then again who needs logic ?

Happiness has 125cc ...
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Freeloadeur wrote:If you're going to get all logical then I could see for a two up mainly road tour it does make sense in a strange kind of way. Possibly less sense is making it using four panniers instead of one large box.

Then again who needs logic ?
The idea is very logical; any potential thefts would involve breaking into 4 things not one, the Cof G can be kept low, if there was an accident the user hasn't the potential to loose everything in one box, when the destination is reached 2 boxes could be removed and used on the bike if desired, and any additional items could be strapped over the boxes in the accepted fashion.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “ACCESSORIES”