Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

The essential art of farkling.
Treadtrader

Re:Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by Treadtrader »

That's some topbox :woohoo:

Saw a similar sized one on a CB125 in Coventry recently, no idea what he had in it.:ohmy:

I swap between Givi E45 (two-up)or Kappa E21 (solo), nice to have a choice.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Kev P wrote:
My bike came with TT 35L panniers, and I do find them handy when I need to carry alot of kit.

At the HU meet at Ripley I saw the Wolfman Expedition soft panniers and I'm seriously considering replacing the TT ones.

Kev
I bought some Wolfman tank panniers at Ripley and used them on a recent trip to Italy - Would recommend them - totally watertight.

Martin
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

Jesse boxes stay on my 1150GS all the time - they're narrower than the bars so never cause a problem.

Always handy having the space to carry stuff you've bought but never thought you needed when you're out and about
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

E.T.

Post by E.T. »

I had side panniers on the XT660Z Tenere, and they were slim enough for filtering, and okay for getting a laptop and change of clothes in. 25l in all I think.

On my TDM900 with the genuine Yamaha hard boxes, it made the bike Soooooo wide that filtering was a nightmare - I used them twice.

With my current bike KTM990 Adventure, I have a lockable top box, a 30litre Ortleib Drybag (opens lengthways, rather than at one end, so more like a sports holdall to get to things) and a small 20l (orange ha ha) lightweight drybag, to take extra layers and snack etc, that gets strapped on the top box if needed (very rare)

I also bought a pair of Cargo entry level throw over panniers - that's more for buying food and keeping the cooker in, +any other pieces of heavier kit (keeps the weight a bit lower) I need.

And finally I have a Camelbak, which has enough space for a snack and an extra fleece + 2l of water.

Oh yes, and I have just acquired a tank bag too!:cheer:

As Trailqiest said, time and place for everything - I've yet to use all of it at once, that would be over 120l :dry: of storage without bulky side boxes! B)
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Talking of panniers.... did anyone see the two lads at the HU meeting in Ripley who made their own panniers for a RTW trip out of old fridge drawers ? I'd love to think that they will make it round with those bungeed to their bikes but I have my doubts.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I've always used either soft or hard luggage on my bikes, depending on either what I can afford or what they come fitted with.
With the Vara however, I got the opportunity to make up my own using some "donated" Peli cases . .

Front view

Rear view

As long as the rear bustle is no wider than your handle bars, filtering is easy.

Just my tuppence worth . .

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Alun

Post by Alun »

As I started this post, I thought it time to update my pannier situation. As I said, I wasn't going to use panniers on our Euro tour this year but having to ferry over a 100 or so magazines to the exhibition I was attending in Germany, I did.

After the exhibition we headed down to the Stella Alpina route and I promptly dropped the Tiger and holed the left hand pannier on a rock. Ah well. No sweat, they both leaked like drains before the off and I'm just as well without them.

That's two sets of Triumph panniers I've bought and both sets have leaked. Tin boxes for me next time.
africajim

Post by africajim »

My Triumph boxes leaked from the word go, I'd never had this issue before with Nonfango, then Givi luggage. I would not have Triumph luggage again!
Honda, the power of dreams.
davsato

Post by davsato »

when i got my SprintST they were running an offer of free official accessories out of the catalogue, expecting everyone to get panniers but it was worded so you had the choice of £700 worth of anything. the dealer really pushed me to have the crap boxes but luckily i knew what they were like and demanded other stuff. put his nose out of joint when i said id rather bungee binliners to the bike than use triumph panniers, and anyway £700 was a joke. i had a set of 2nd hand kappa plastics that never let me down in the years i had it.
Dave
davsato

Post by davsato »

strimstrum wrote:
Talking of panniers.... did anyone see the two lads at the HU meeting in Ripley who made their own panniers for a RTW trip out of old fridge drawers ? I'd love to think that they will make it round with those bungeed to their bikes but I have my doubts.
me too, thats really brittle plastic
Dave

Return to “ACCESSORIES”