Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

The essential art of farkling.
Alun

Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by Alun »

Jason mentioned to me the other night that for this years European tour he'll be travelling light. I take it he meant doing what I did last year....fitting all my stuff in a top box and a bin liner on the pillion.

The advantages of riding a 'slim' bike are obvious and was brought sharply into focus on our return to the UK when one of our parties aluminium panniers took out a few wing mirrors whilst filtering through a 20 mile jam on the M25.

Overall I'm starting to think that Panniers are more of a pain than they are a gain when touring. Sure you can stash more stuff, securely, but the width restrictions are a trade off I don't want to pay. So for this summer the panniers that came on the Tiger are being whipped off and the bin liner is making a come back.
snaphappy

Re:Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by snaphappy »

Just before my last trip I was set to go light, my plans were changed when the news of a biker on one of our local roads had a fatal off. He was away for the weekend with light luggage, his sleeping bag came loose and logded itself into the rear wheel,the resulting off decapitated him.
Panniers are bulky but have their place, I filtered through London South circular and down the A55 on route to Holyhead, Just need a wingmirror sticker for the LHS.
I'm dead against the use of binbags, if your travelling light get a good Tarp drysack and strap it tight. I have a drysack from our local dealer that was only a fiver, but is strong enough to withstand a ratchetstrap and is 100% waterproof

http://www.louis.de/_2001257a0f147e762f ... 10&lang=en
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Alun

Post by Alun »

Good point about the binbags snaphappy. Just to point out, I use the heavy duty rubble bags and secure them with a couple of nets. The chances of them getting loose are next to nothing, or about the same as Germany winning the world cup.

I have a sneaking suspicion I may live to regret one of the above.

As it happens I need to take about 100 magazines (Adventure Travel) with me to a trade show in Freidrichshafen, so the panniers are making a comeback.
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Hi all

I have thought long and hard about having panniers. I seam to manage to fit everything in my top bag although I did buy a dry bag just incase. :)

Paniers are a fixed shape and you have to plan more carefully to make sure you use all the corners and they would add weight to my bike. :( On the other hand a few worldly wise fellows have suggested if I come off they may give me some protection from the bike squishing my legs.:blink:

I spent the money on tank and cylinder bars instead ;)
davsato

Post by davsato »

at the coupes moto legende i saw many french bikes with a new fashion, a huge sports bag (about cricket gear bag size or body board?) strapped to a plank of wood bolted longways on to the luggage rack so it went on the pillion seat and stuck out about 2' from the back. it kept the bike narrow and gave enormous and secure storage. i suppose it was ok how far it stuck out the back.
Dave
Alun

Post by Alun »

Hi lolo, for most trips I'm the same as you, I travel light and can fit just about everything in my top box. Perhaps we need a 'what the hell do you carry in your panniers thread? Now that could be revealing.

I'd like to see a pic of that bike with a body board sized bag davsato.
Kev P

Post by Kev P »

My bike came with TT 35L panniers, and I do find them handy when I need to carry alot of kit.

At the HU meet at Ripley I saw the Wolfman Expedition soft panniers and I'm seriously considering replacing the TT ones.

Kev
KevP

www.toddington2timbuktu.co.uk

"smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast"
Trailqiest

Post by Trailqiest »

As always there is a time and a place for most bits of kit. Having used a variety of combinations over the years I currently have a Touratech aluminium top box and Touratech soft side panniers. The lockable top box provides a little added security whilst the soft panniers are great as they can be expanded to take more gear as needed and can double as hand luggage when flying or as back packs should you need to leave the bike and walk somewhere.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Alun wrote:

I'd like to see a pic of that bike with a body board sized bag davsato.[/quote]

honestly they are huge, from the back of the rider to stuck out maybe 2' behind the bike. i'll try and dig a pic out but i dont know if i took one. i do have a pic of a topbox 1m square dog box, complete with alsatian? french bikers.......
Dave
davsato

Post by davsato »

hows this for a topbox then? it came complete with a 10stone alsatian
CML025.jpg
CML025.jpg (384.57 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Dave

Return to “ACCESSORIES”