Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

The essential art of farkling.
strimstrum

Re:Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by strimstrum »

I use Touratech Zega Aluminium panniers and they fit both my 1200GS and KTM 640. They have never leaked and I've been through some pretty shi**y weather on the continent. I don't use the expensive liners... Tesco's Big Green Bag fits just nicely and is easy to lift out and put back which means you can leave the panniers on the bike although even I've got to admit that checking into a hotel with a Tesco's Big green Bag as your luggage looks a bit naff - I tend to check in first then get my bags off the bike and scuttle past reception.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I have to defend my Triumph panniers, never leaked and well designed.
Picture_076.jpg
Picture_076.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
If you look, in the background is my old Volvo estate that Trimuph based the design of the Trophy on.:laugh:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

Treadtrader wrote:
If you look, in the background is my old Volvo estate that Trimuph based the design of the Trophy on.:laugh:
Well, that explains why Trophy jockeys always ride like Volvo drivers...

"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

africajim

Post by africajim »

It's not that your Triumph luggage didn't leak, it was just the weather never got past that sail of a fairing to get to them! That's not a bike, it's more like a schooner!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

I like panniers.

Secure, and allow more stuff to be kept low on the bike, rather than up high and back. Having done a lot of touring with a pillion, they are also inevitable two-up.

I had considered grafting my Project VND panniers from my late 1150 GS to my now TA600, but that never went anywhere. HOwever, I found that a set of Givi/Kappa E21 panniers are slim, yet still a very usable size. Sleeping gear in one, clothes in the other, leaving the topbox for the tent, stove, food etc...
davsato

Post by davsato »

you were lucky then, id heard too many warnings about triumph panniers to risk them. there was even a test in MCN at the time that tried to say they were fine, "only letting in a few teaspoons of water" in the jetwash test. one drop would be enough to reject them for me, especially at that price!
and they are still not great nowerdays, my neighbour has a tiger1050 and his panniers leaked, then triumph recalled them and put a massive thick rubber seal around them cutting the internal capacity a bit, and they still leak!

if i had to pay for luggage i would never choose oem stuff, (even though my honda luggage has been great) there are many cheaper and better options
Dave
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

africajim wrote:
It's not that your T:laugh: riumph luggage didn't leak, it was just the weather never got past that sail of a fairing to get to them! That's not a bike, it's more like a schooner!
You're all only jealous.:laugh:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
paula

Post by paula »

I have been looking at the wolfman soft pan's too, they look great only thing is being bright yellow and my bike being bright yellow I may be in danger of looking like a big blob of custard going down the road ....to the untrained eye! lol :silly:
davsato

Post by davsato »

remember the old tv ad campaign- "get yourself seen"
Dave
davsato

Post by davsato »

Alun wrote:
I'd like to see a pic of that bike with a body board sized bag davsato.
got my mate to dig out a pic
DSCF3620.jpg
DSCF3620.jpg (91.62 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Dave

Return to “ACCESSORIES”