Triumph Warranty Woes

The Things We Ride
digitalcaptive

Triumph Warranty Woes

Post by digitalcaptive »

Right first of all I have to apologise to Jim Simpson (africajim) for if I'd have listened to his gripes instead of defending thid brand/dealer network I wouldn't be in this situation. Jim, I humbley apologise
I purchased My July 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS with 3500 miles on the clock on the 25 feb this year, those of you that know me will know that I've had a dreamy eyed love for the Trumpet brand since owning my 955 Tiger a few years ago, I like the fact that I live within spitting distance of the factory (I didn't realise just how much I be spitting at it though), I like the whole triumph success story over the past 20 years and most of all I love the triple engine (what a peach) and certainly for the last five years I've been one of triumphs biggest advocates.
Well a couple of weeks into ownership of this XC I got the chance to give her a proper "toothbrush" clean and soon discovered what appeared to be light corrosion in a couple of areas on the lower front of the engine case, I promptly went to the dealer Strathstones of Leicester and reported my findings to which the dealer principle Garry Knowles and a guy from the service department suggested they would report it to Triumph and commented that "there shouldn't be a problem". Two weeks past by then a phone call from Garry informed me that triumph had rejected my warranty claim saying that the effected areas were caused by stone chips (absolute b0!!0ck5) to which I was furious (theres absolutely no evidence of chips at all anywhere on the casings). I did infact telephone Triumph directly and asked to speak to whoever deals with warranty, they abviously did not what to talk to me (and suggested that it was strathstones that suggested that this was not a warranty issue (which Strathstones deny)
Garry said "not to worry" "we'll sort this as our commitment to you.....Our customer" and promtly booked my bike in for 23/04/2012, So dropped the bike of yesterday and felt reassured that everything was OK!, that was until today when I got a call from Strathstones telling me that their painter had looked at my engine and decided that he couldn't do anything with it in such a way that the problem wouldn't keep comming back (as an ex vehicle painter myself this actually sounds like "MMm that looks like a bitch of a job, dont think I fancy that one").
Anyway, I flew over to Strathstones to sort this out, Garry the principle told me that as far as he was concerned that was it case closed, I demanded a refund (after all it was he that sold me the bike) He very kindly offered me £1200 less that I paid for it 2 months ago (intially £1500 less was his first offer)
His manner was quite aggresive (strange that because previously he seemed like my best mate). It took everything bit of restraint within me not to lash out physically at someone, but I kept relatively calm and suggested that he and triumph were not complying with the consumer act on a number of levels he said that I could persue legal routes to resolve this if I wanted to (knowing that I damn well couldn't afford to)
I deliberately haven't mentioned the issues with my bike to anyone (no not even Hudders) believing that I had to give triumph and the dealer a chance to resolve the problems well now they've had their chance and failed miserablely......I am so dissappointed I've waited twelve months to be in a possition where I could buy this bike and now feel powerless to do anything about the problems.

I will end by saying I do absolutely love this bike, ist everything I wanted it to be and I wont have any issue living with my purchase long term, my one saving grace is that I can resolve the paint issues myself (on closer inspection it appears not so much a corrosion problem but more one of lack of adhession and water ingress on the very edges of the lower casting) so good preparation and plenty of patience and a satifactory finish should be achieved .
I will never buy a triumph again, I will never buy from Strathstones again and I hereby give permission to anyone who hears me suggest that I might to take a running kick at my b0!!0k5 just to remind what I'm doing.

So once again Jim Sorry mate
stanbloke

Re: Triumph Warranty Woes

Post by stanbloke »

Triumph Wellingboro offered me a great deal on my 990 against a fully loaded 800XC. I have to admit when i had an extensive test ride i absolutely loved the way the Tiger rode and handled....tempted ?.....you betcha.

But....while i was talking to the dealer about the proposed deal i overhead a conversation which sounded very similar to yours Russ.....thats when i decided to keep my KTM. The standard of service i have received from KTM Hemel over the past 4 years has been outstanding and has welded me to the brand.

Sorry to hear about your trouble though Russ, hope you get sorted mate. :)
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I had my fair share of Triumph warranty problems, when i bought a new Tiger 955i back in 2005. Having to argue against Triumphs stance of 'rider fault' excuses with many of the problems i had with this bike. The corrosion issues i had were never resolved to my satisfaction.
The problems were not caused by my dealer, but were Triumphs head office, by using any excuse possible to get out of agreeing warranty work.
I chopped the bike in after 18 months, at a big financial loss, and went back to a Japanese bike. To be honest i was glad to lose the money just so i didn't have to deal with Triumph again.
That 18 month experience of Triumphs crap customer service was enough to put me off the brand for life.
garyr

Post by garyr »

Can you post a photo of the damage, and if you do repaint it could you do a write up of the repair. I have a honda with flaking paint, and this could be a good project. You are kidding about a toothbrush clean !!! :P
who dares, bins
digitalcaptive

Post by digitalcaptive »

garyr wrote:Can you post a photo of the damage, and if you do repaint it could you do a write up of the repair. I have a honda with flaking paint, and this could be a good project.:P
Yes I will do, but will probably do it after Croatia in June, I'll post the photos when I get home tonight

garyr wrote:You are kidding about a toothbrush clean !!! .:P

What's to joke about ;) No seriously though I'm not joking......This has got to be the most difficult bike in the world to keep clean.......I'm averaging at the minute four full on cleaning sessions a week, god I hope the sunshine comes soon B)
claw

Post by claw »

Sounds like yours isn't the only one, just been reading the thread and i noticed your post there... http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,4811.0.html

Reading the post seems as though Triumph are going to sort his!

Hope its sorted, not the type of publicity they need with the new explorer just being launched.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaim: "Wow, what a ride".
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

According to Triumph... their bikes must be cleaned after EVERY ride.
This was the excuse they used to get out of repairing corrosion on some guys Triumph Bonnie. It was only when the story was reported on Radio 4 consumer program did he finally get a result and got his money back from Triumph.

Triumph are also still saying in their T&C's, that their bikes must be serviced by a Triumph main dealer to keep your 2 year warranty.
This totally controvenes the EC directive that vehicles can be serviced anywhere.
digitalcaptive

Post by digitalcaptive »

Zookman wrote:According to Triumph... their bikes must be cleaned after EVERY ride.
This was the excuse they used to get out of repairing corrosion on some guys Triumph Bonnie. It was only when the story was reported on Radio 4 consumer program did he finally get a result and got his money back from Triumph.
Jesus I'm already averaging 2 X 500ml cans of WD40 a week as it is :blush:
digitalcaptive

Post by digitalcaptive »

Zookman wrote:According to Triumph... their bikes must be cleaned after EVERY ride.
This was the excuse they used to get out of repairing corrosion on some guys Triumph Bonnie. It was only when the story was reported on Radio 4 consumer program did he finally get a result and got his money back from Triumph./quote]

Jesus I'm already averaging 2 X 500ml cans of WD40 a week as it is :blush:
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I bathed mine in ACF 50 the day I picked it up. Rode it all winter and when it got really filthy, gave it a quick hose down with cold water. I top up the ACF50 once a month and I have no corrosion at all, not even a part furred bolt head.

DC - you need acf50 not wd40. WD is not ideal for corrosion protection.

Return to “BIKES”