A few questions

The Things We Ride
5headh

A few questions

Post by 5headh »

Haven't posted on here for a while as only just got back on the road after 6 months of not riding down to bad vertigo.
Now I'm back on the road I'm not exactly on an 'adventure' bike, but boy have I still got the adventure in me, I'm just stuck on an Nsr 125 for now :blush:

I swapped my working cb500 for a tdm850 getting all excited that I would have a proper big girls touring bike, only to find the tdm is running on 1 cylinder - I know I should have checked first.

First question being, any ideas as to what could be causing this? I dont have £100's to give it to a garage to strip down, just wondered if there is a slight possibility it could be something simple :/

Second question, is it possible to 'tour' on a 2 stoke 125 'race bike' I don't mean is it comfortable because its obvious its not going to be all that great and I know anything can be possible but I mean, am I likely to blow it up? I don't wanna got too far and only inside the uk for now.

I think that is all for now :D
I'm glad to be back.
Bigtim

Re: A few questions

Post by Bigtim »

TDM's are pretty bulletproof and usually just run and run. If it's the early TDM and only running on one cyclinder then it's likely to be a plug or a lead, if it's the later model (4TX) then it's probably a coil pack which has died. dead easy to change and only cost about £25 to £30 from Wemoto. Just take the tank off and the airbox and the coils are easily accessible. Good luck

HTH

Tim
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

5headh wrote: Second question, is it possible to 'tour' on a 2 stoke 125 'race bike'
Of course it is! There is at least one person on this forum who tours the world on a scooter.

I did my first tour of Scotland many years ago on a 125 'crosser with camping gear and had a great time.

Get out and have fun B)
*Touring Ted*

Post by *Touring Ted* »

Pull the plug out of the one which isn't firing..

Ground it to somewhere metal on the bike and crank it over and look for a spark..

If there isn't a a spark, you know it's an electrical problem.

If there is a 'healthy' spark, then you have a problem with fuelling or compression.
5headh

Post by 5headh »

Thanks guy :D

Its the early model, in a pretty poorly state and looking a bit bad cosmetically but I couldnt care less as long as it runs, Ive wanted one for soo long!!

Someone has offered me £500 for my nsr (I only paid £450) so just wondered if I would be able to get the tdm running for that ?

I'm gunna have a little look I think :)
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

Hi

Log onto carpe tdm forum for all answers and more help. They are a really friendly and helpful bunch.

Tim
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

Hi

Log onto carpe tdm forum for all answers and more help. They are a really friendly and helpful bunch.

On the early engine you can swap the plug leads over and see if the engine misfire changes to the other cylinder as it's a "big bang" engine where both cylinders fire simultaneously.

HTH

Tim
5headh

Post by 5headh »

Cheers Tim :)

I tried to log onto that forum, it wouldnt let me for some reason :S

The bikes in my dads workshop and his 'misplaced' the keys :angry: But once I've found them I'm going to give this a go, its can't be too hard can it :whistle:
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

If all it needs is a new plug, then you should get it running for under a fiver!
Gary117

Post by Gary117 »

2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

Return to “BIKES”