Me Too!!

The Things We Ride
sambarghout

Re:Me Too!!

Post by sambarghout »

Hi Guys,

Just for your info I have a 2003 Tiger 955i which i use for scratching and two up touring. It had an old Hagon on when i bought it and I changed it immediately for a new one with remote preload becuase without the remote it is a right pain to adjust. Two up with luggage i just crank the preload up to max and the damping to 1/4 turn out from max and it works just fine. The damping is good and the front wheel is not trying to lift all the time. If I dont adjust the shock like this the handling is truly awful. I weigh 15 stane and the wife 10.5.

As for the rest of the bike I have had an 1150 and a 1200GS and I do rate the Tiger. The engine is a gem and the riding position the same as a GS. I bought the gel seats and must admit that they are too firm. I am just going to get the originals reworked over the winter. I got mine last year for a measly £2450 from a dealer who couldnt shift it. It was in excellent condition but 24K miles. I went through everything on the bike replacing bearings and greasing linkages etc. I also serviced the brake calipers replacing the pistons and seals. I fitted a new Hagon, sports end can and heated grips and metal fuel couplings (the original plastic ones go with age). Even with the money i spent on it it still worked out far cheaper than a GS. The GS is a superb bike but I cant quite justify (or afford) the extra money for one whilst we are in this blasted recession and money is tight. The reliability issue that bothered me was the problem with the "ring antenna" that caused the mystery breakdowns for so many. My mates brand new 1200 Adventurer broke down with this a couple of years ago on a weekend away and the recovery driver told him that it was a regular occurence. I understand that BMW have now resolved this issue.:)

Lastly, i am very impressed with the finish on the Tiger. That engine lacquer just cleans back up every time I wash it.
appleby

Post by appleby »

Alun wrote:
africajim wrote:
The Tigers strong points are the sound, that triple motor sounds so sweet and the power is syruppy smooth! It's a great bike to ride, handling is strange for a start, tends to dive into corners but once used to it the pegs touch down no problem on Anakees.

Now for the bad parts, lights are terrible, scary in fact. I was terrified by mine in the dark. Wind noise is rediculous, I tried three different screens, none any better, the front just isn't wide enough to give protection. Finally, the suspension is like Vauxhall cars, brilliant solo but with passengers? Well, it gets by, you can tour two up but it does feel a bit like a bouncy castle!
Agree 100% with Jim on the strong points and if you throw in the race can and engine re-tune a sports bike would need a very fine jocky to shake you off.

The bad parts; the lights are easily sorted with a relay and a couple of new bulbs. Wind noise and buffeting on the stock model is beyond a joke but I've managed to sort it with a combination of mirror extenders and a Vario screen (Palmer Products screen is just as effective). Solo the suspension is no problem but crank up the weight on the back and it becomes scary, with my son as pillion, and suspension fully adjusted to accomodate, the front wheel just skims the surface and the bike does not want to turn.

When I think of two-up touring I want to trade it in and then I go out for a solo ride and decide to keep it. I'll either get that back sus sorted or move to a GS or (mighty) Varadero.

So, in summary, if it's just you a 955i Tiger at the prices you can pick them up is going to be hard to beat, if you plan on a lot of two-up touring look elsewhere and save yourself the hassle.
Alun, Anytime you want to try my GS1200 out, let me know & I'll pop over . . . but you will want one!

It's nothing to do with the propeller badge or Ewan McGregor - it's just a great bike that does everything with quirky brilliance.

And despite their niggly faults (none on mine by the way) they get under your skin like no Jap bike ever could.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Thanks for the offer appleby, I just might take you up on that soon.
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Had my GSA about a week now (and loving it). After work tonight, I had my first off-road (well, gravel car-park) experience. I played with the ASC and ESA settings and was surprised by how balanced and controlled it was, even in the deeper gravel that had collected at one end. It was fantastic fun drifting the back end and spitting gravel! I have never ridden a motorcycle off the tarmac before, it was my first time standing too. Given that I'm such a noob, I put a lot of my "success" down to the bike. Big smiles from me (and an upset grounds keeper).

I bought a Beemer because it was right for me: no chain, big tank, better protection and a good mile eater. A good all-rounder. I've heard equal amounts of praise and criticism for them, so don't know what to think about reliability. Time will tell I suppose. Bloody good bike IMO!
...I just want to ride!
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

In all seriousness if I had the money to buy and run, a good condition 1200gs I would without a doubt. No matter how many horror storeys I hear I still love the look of the bike, and I cant help but think a lot of the horror stories are blown out off proportion, by owners that payed a premium for a bike expecting it to never have a problem.
The fact is the premium was payed for the brand and the gadgets.
Brands these day don't automaticly mean quality, and the more you add to something the more there is to go wrong.

I own an Africa Twin because that is what I could afford at the time. If my circumstances change I would also own a GS.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Paul C wrote:
Had my GSA about a week now (and loving it). After work tonight, I had my first off-road (well, gravel car-park) experience. I played with the ASC and ESA settings and was surprised by how balanced and controlled it was, even in the deeper gravel that had collected at one end. It was fantastic fun drifting the back end and spitting gravel! I have never ridden a motorcycle off the tarmac before, it was my first time standing too. Given that I'm such a noob, I put a lot of my "success" down to the bike. Big smiles from me (and an upset grounds keeper).

I bought a Beemer because it was right for me: no chain, big tank, better protection and a good mile eater. A good all-rounder. I've heard equal amounts of praise and criticism for them, so don't know what to think about reliability. Time will tell I suppose. Bloody good bike IMO!
Good to hear the new GS is putting a smile on your face Paul - that's the main job of a motorcycle, is it not? I also reckon the GSA is the best looking adventure bike at the mo.
flyinwalrus

Post by flyinwalrus »

thanks for replies guys....very informed cheers..its gonne be a toss up between tiger n vara i think...budget fell a little (women!!) lol if i can find a good vara might just pip it.....i have owned a triumph triple before...you're right..an absolute peach of an engine....not scared of suspension...plenty of practice in my earlier racing days......decisions decisionslol....thanks again guys....mega helpful!
I can live more in 5 minutes on this motorcycle,than some people can live all their lives!
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

The best place to buy a Vara is here http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-sale-wanted/
You can then look through there previous posts to see if the bike has had a good life.;)
There is one going cheap now I think.

Its how I got my Twin.B)
flyinwalrus

Post by flyinwalrus »

cheers craigevo...i'll have a nosey......mm twins ;)
I can live more in 5 minutes on this motorcycle,than some people can live all their lives!
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Every time I ride my Tiger I always get off with a big grin on my face. I love it. Yes it’s got it faults i.e. the screen etc. However too me, this is part of its character and boy does it have loads of that....

Tiger.jpg
Tiger.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “BIKES”