Yamaha XT1200Z Owners

The Things We Ride
Zookman

Yamaha XT1200Z Owners

Post by Zookman »

I've noticed there is a few S10 owners on here.
I'd be interested to hear your views on this bike... How long you've had it and whether you've had any mechanical issues with it ?
Fuel consumption ?
Tyre life ?
Any mods you've done ?
Have you had issues with the spokes corroding ?

And anything else about the bike you wish to share.

Thanks.
Chrisstrom

Re: Yamaha XT1200Z Owners

Post by Chrisstrom »

Not a good day to ask that one for me. Wouldn't start this morning, no idea why, will be a call out job at the weekend when I have time. Apart from that, done 2000 miles on it and think it's brilliant. No issues other than today.

Chris
You can only do what you can do!!
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Chrisstrom wrote:Not a good day to ask that one for me. Wouldn't start this morning, no idea why, will be a call out job at the weekend when I have time. Apart from that, done 2000 miles on it and think it's brilliant. No issues other than today.

Chris
Plenty of juice in the battery ?
Chrisstrom

Post by Chrisstrom »

Yes spinning up fine just won't fire. Same tonight. Will look at it at the weekend coz I work longish hours. To reply to the rest of your post -
I get 53 to the gallon no matter what mode it's in, but generally only use touring when around town. I fitted crash bars and a large givi back box but bike is standard. I bought it in July, it's on a 60 plate and an ex demo bike. No sign of corrosion but I give it a coating of acf50 quite often.
You can only do what you can do!!
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Chrisstrom wrote:Yes spinning up fine just won't fire. Same tonight. Will look at it at the weekend coz I work longish hours. To reply to the rest of your post -
I get 53 to the gallon no matter what mode it's in, but generally only use touring when around town. I fitted crash bars and a large givi back box but bike is standard. I bought it in July, it's on a 60 plate and an ex demo bike. No sign of corrosion but I give it a coating of acf50 quite often.
Thats great fuel consumption for a 1200cc 260 kilo bike. Hope you get the non starting sorted anyway, and i'll be interested to know what the problem was.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

Mine's done 8000 mls in 8 months,i run it in to the letter for over 1000mls.Even when i'm doing 85 on the motorway getting 59 mpg getting better all the time,never have traction control turned on.Tyres lasted 6500mls always ride on road and because i still ride it like a sports bike front tyre tread went first,absolutely love it one of the only bikes iv'e ever had that i can't fault in any way.
Snowedin

Post by Snowedin »

Fabulous! My favourite bike so far, and I've had a few......

Generally get between 52 to 54 mpg.

Got it as an ex demo. No problems as such, spokes don't seem as shiny as stainless ones might. I keep it on an optimate when not in use, never had a starting issue.

It has the Yamaha panniers (OK, but not brilliant), Oxford heated grips (good), Calsci plus 4" screen (good), lower deflectors (good) and Yamaha fog light (good). Oh, and the Wasp tank decals - excellent!

Tyre wear doesn't look too bad (certainly better than my old 990 Adv).

Vibey enough, in a 270 twin-ish sort of way, to give it character. Bags of torque and power plenty enough for me.

Recommended.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Cheers guys.... Really impressed with the fuel consumption you all seem to be getting.
In the last few weeks i've test rode a KTM 990 ADV, but i found it too uncomfortable. A Moto Guzzi Stelvio, which i loved, but it wasn't that good on fuel and i had my doubts about reliability. Then finally tested the S10 and was impressed with everything about it. Its unbelievable how they've made that 260 kilo weight disappear, it didn't feel any heavier than my Wee Strom.
So i pulled the trigger on a brand new blue & silver S10, for £10.5K. Got alloy bash plate and first service labour & parts thrown in. I recently bought Givi luggage thats never been used yet, so i just have to buy the mounts.
I pick it up next week.
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Ok, here goes..
I have now 1300 miles on mine, bought with 20 miles on the clock 11 reg.
It is the best bike I have owned and I ride it flat out most of the time like my ( 955i Tiger ) and the best mpg I have had is 48.5 and I can live with that.
The side stand is a pain, kept putting into first gear when at standstill, now i switch engine off first and all is ok.

I have on occasion have had a missfire or plinking at low speeds ( junctions and pulling away ) and have had the bike stall-cut out twice on junctions so I'm getting it checked..

But I love this underated machine so keep it quiet.
Look at the TDM site carpetdm.co.uk

The 900 engine from Yamaha will do silly miles so lets hope..

BIG BILL
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

Well done zookman on your purchase you won't regret it,you will love it and it gets better and better.Nick sanders has done 51000 miles on one,mechanical breakdowns ZERO say no more.

Return to “BIKES”