Norden Expedition

The Things We Ride
qcnr

Norden Expedition

Post by qcnr »

Now I am going to sound like a grumpy old man here. I watched the video below:

Now I must admit from certain angles it looks a bit reminiscent of a classic AT in some of the shots.
And that got me thinking, have bikes actually progressed that much? What is it that this bike can do
that an AT can do? Adam Riemann has done some films where he bought an old AT, travelled around Norway,
then decided to ride it to London, ship it to Australia and now has it there. Would he have been so much better off
on a new KTsvarnagas, or other modern bike?
minkyhead

Re: Norden Expedition

Post by minkyhead »

is it me or are them little bags comedically wide and floppy ?
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Im tempted to say, they have increased the weight, and the price, and put a TV screen on it.

See also

Suzuki DR350S v Honda CRF300 and no doubt many, many, more. Motorcycles hit a bit of a highpoint in the 1990s-00s, and we've struggled to see progress since in anything other than electronics and emission-control.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Ignoring the gadgets, some motorcycles have improved massively year on year. A 350 4T KTM has the performance of a 525 and the weight of an early 2T KTM200, the suspension no longer kicks like a donkey and you glide up rocky climbs with barely any throttle. I've little experience of modern big ADV bikes but if that suspension and engine management technology has transferred into the latest machinery, they must be better than the stats would otherwise suggest. What I think has gone awry is build quality, I'd guess this is the price of being able to make it just good enough whereas previously things tended to be built with a higher margin of error and lasted longer.
You could argue what does a 90's AT do that an '70's SL350 or XT500 doesn't, ok it starts easier and has better brakes but it will take you to the same places.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

RS2 .. "Motorcycles hit a bit of a highpoint in the 1990s-00s, and we've struggled to see progress since in anything other than electronics and emission-control."

I'm not very up, on bike design .. but yes, basic design has not changed much since the 1930's ? But i have noticed an upgrade in recent bikes, they seem more `together` and the designs are becoming a bit more sensible again, I think.
My 2016 crf250L looked good, and performed well on trails. I swapped it for an Emtb in 2019 lol, but then bought a 2019 model crf 250 Rally, last year. I must say, the improvement in engine performance, looks, and the way it is intricately put together is a very big positive. The plastics and wiring are very sound, and Honda have managed to improve the handling etc .. even more so on the 300 apparently (no one knows how, apparently). these are minor improvements but well worthwhile, and add to the improvement in bike design and performance, as well as safety, even if gradually.

I loved the engine on my old DR350 but still prefer the crf 250 Rally.

The Norden looks great and the review is very positive, but I doubt and old codger like me would even want to try that huge beast on any trail.
I admire the riders too, but i think I will stick with my 50kg lighter crf 250 Rally, Thanks 8-)

250 L ..
Image20190629_134200BBBBBBBBBBBBBbb by gary boy, on Flickr

Emtb
Image20200325_150744 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

250 Rally
Image20220612_180841 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

Return to “BIKES”