KTM 890 - interested and after some info

The Things We Ride
hennieontanks

KTM 890 - interested and after some info

Post by hennieontanks »

Hi all.

I’m looking at changing bikes and interested in the KTM 890. It seems a great all round bike - great for touring and on and off road and not as heavy as the bigger adventure bikes.

Since I’ll be new to KTM, is there an owners club Facebook group or forum that I could get some input from??

Have heard some worrying points on reliability and servicing costs…. But want to get a more real world idea of what it is like?

How is easy it to change the oil, air filter and basic servicing yourself?

Thanks for the help.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: KTM 890 - interested and after some info

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forums/ktm-790-twins.245/

See also Yamaha Tenere 700, Aprilia Tuareg 660, and the CF Moto bike, which has the same (Chinese) engine as the 790/890.

If you want simple & reliable, get the Yam...but be prepared for the 20-litres of fuel swilling about at chest height. Apparently it's an absolute sod to pick up if you topple off it.

If you want the best suspension, get the KTM.

I thought long and hard about all of the above...and decided to stick with my old KTM 950 after riding the 890.

Talk to your local dealer about servicing costs...I think home oil changes are perfectly do-able, but anything regarding electronics will require a KTM dealer.

Early builds of the 790 seemed to fall apart as you watched, but the later ones (and the 890s) seem better.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ad rider has loads of info on the ktm s use the search box hundreds of pages

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

First of all don't believe everything that you read on here,i am an owner of the 890 and mine was made in Austria,owners can check on the Vin plate,the 790 is being re-manufactured and is being built in china and cf moto,but the 890's are made in Austria,i would not have this bike as my only bike if i thought it was going to let me down and the oil and filter are easy to change,also the air filter is easy as it's under the seat,i get 56mpg min and 64mpg on a run and it is not slow,i will be taking it on a 1500 mile tour in may.
Richard Simpson Mark II

I only said the engines were made in China...the 'new' 790 will be entirely Chinese-built as were some of the earlier 790 version. The 890 is still assembled in Austria for the European market. As with all KTMs, a lot of the components come from outside Austria (Japan, Germany, Italy and even – on my 950 – jolly old GB – the handlebar)

Some interesting historic background here

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features ... %20venture.

And the latest here:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/ktms-2023- ... by-cfmoto/
Toe

Post by Toe »

Many Triumphs are made in Thailand, Royal Enfields in India, etc etc. When this point comes up I consider the size of the manufacturer, the bigger the manufacturer the more likely it is that they directly oversee those factories (as Triumph do). Of course time will tell on the quality and longevity!
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 pm I only said the engines were made in China...the 'new' 790 will be entirely Chinese-built as were some of the earlier 790 version. The 890 is still assembled in Austria for the European market. As with all KTMs, a lot of the components come from outside Austria (Japan, Germany, Italy and even – on my 950 – jolly old GB – the handlebar)

And the latest here:

There were some interesting points in there. Didn't know KTM were actually the official importer for CFMoto, the link is a good thing for a Chinese company to have.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

KTM reliability an issue...?
I bought a new 690 in 2019 have done about 22500km since and never had anything fail.
I service it and modify it myself. So reliability has been a non issue for me, and for most owners
I think the same will apply. Of course some bikes will have issues, but I don't think KTM as a brand
is any worse than other brands.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I've had a couple of 990s and now a 690r, all been totally reliable only using consumables...I would say about the weight of the 890...it's very similar to the 990 all be it more centralised and feels light...still have to pick the thing up :o tho...I swapped my 690r for a 790r yesterday on the Plain, for a bit...coo the weight and size of the 790 felt like monster...
So if your planning on the 890 as a unicorn bike and your young as fit it will be great. But pick your off road riding carefully or it could get painful and expensive...
Just for context...I took the 990 to Italy off road, Taffy Dakar twice, Salisbury plan loads, lots of lanes in Wales...getting old (60) now so lighter is for me...also taken the 690r to Italy, plain, TET and doing the Taffy this year... fantastic bike...the way ahead..and that quick shifter :mrgreen:
Enjoy your choice, you will not be disappointed...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Toe wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:15 am Many Triumphs are made in Thailand, Royal Enfields in India, etc etc. When this point comes up I consider the size of the manufacturer, the bigger the manufacturer the more likely it is that they directly oversee those factories (as Triumph do). Of course time will tell on the quality and longevity!
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 pm I only said the engines were made in China...the 'new' 790 will be entirely Chinese-built as were some of the earlier 790 version. The 890 is still assembled in Austria for the European market. As with all KTMs, a lot of the components come from outside Austria (Japan, Germany, Italy and even – on my 950 – jolly old GB – the handlebar)

And the latest here:

There were some interesting points in there. Didn't know KTM were actually the official importer for CFMoto, the link is a good thing for a Chinese company to have.

KTM now has a stake in MV Agusta and will import them here AFAIK.

This could go one of two ways...VW Group with a successful sharing of common platforms aimed at different markets and price points, or British Leyland with the same stuff with different badges all cannibalising each others sales.
An MV superbike really has to have 3 or 4 cylinders though..and a KTM one or two.
dave h

Post by dave h »

Dave.

Return to “BIKES”