got the balls to buy one anyone?

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: got the balls to buy one anyone?

Post by garyboy »

Seems fab. Just what all us high profile Rally racers have been asking for and dreaming about.

Or should most of us just dream on, and feel content with our lower-powered, heavier, more economical, proven trail adventurers?
dave h

Post by dave h »

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Apparently its a DOHC head on the engine Fantic uses in the Cabellero 500 Scrambler
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

The standard SOHC caballero 500 engine gets a pretty good review so it will be interesting to see if the DOHC version of it is better. I might have dreamt it but I've got in the back of my mind that sometimes DOHC versions aren't as good as their original SOHC versions....the DOHC version of the Guzzi 1200 engine wasn't reviewed as well as the SOHC version...the Golf 8v engine was better than the Golf 16v engine...? :? Probably a load of bollox... :lol:

Although I did have one of the very first Cosworth designed 'red top' 16v Astra GTE's that was like a rocket ship compared to the previous 8v version....I've got fond memories of bouncing off the rev limiter in top gear at an indicated 140mph on the autoroute near Lyon...

:oops:

This is worth a read, if anyone likes hot hatches... 8-)

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... roes/31681
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

DOHC gives more potential for tuning because you can vary valve timing, overlaps etc etc, and more flexibility in arranging the valves in the head at the design stage. Typically, it's the way to go for good top-end power.
But you have a higher CoG and greater mechanical losses.
The Honda UniCam and the arrangement in the KTM 690 are good compromises giving some of the advantages of dohc from one cam.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

SOHC, DOHC, Uni-Cam, VVT, Shift-Cam...it's all just words, to me :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Unicam...one set of valves is operated directly and the other via rocker arm...all off a single camshaft.

Normal sohc has both valve sets operated via rockers

Normal dohc...both valve sets operated directly by the cam pressing on the valve stem. Each by a dedicated camshaft...ie there is an exhaust camshaft and an inlet camshaft

If you've got a hour to spare...I'll explain a Jacobs engine brake...you may want to spare yourself the ordeal!
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

Am looking forward to go and have a look at the 450 Kove, many people want a lightweight bike that is capable of long distance travel
and the ability to go off road, Big manufacturers always give us a 200 +kg machine, they are very capable of making the unicorn
bike but refuse to do so. Honda made the 450l then gave us a service interval that was crap,
Many people saying how the honda crf 300 is a great bike, i agree its a good bike but we had a suzuki dr350 30 years ago,
Big singles like honda xl 600 kawasaki klr all i think under 200 kg,
This bike has been long awaited,
sorry if i rant just my view,
OB1

Post by OB1 »

johnnyboy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:53 pm Big manufacturers always give us a 200 +kg machine, they are very capable of making the unicorn
bike but refuse to do so. Honda made the 450l then gave us a service interval that was crap,
Many people saying how the honda crf 300 is a great bike, i agree its a good bike but we had a suzuki dr350 30 years ago,
Big singles like honda xl 600 kawasaki klr all i think under 200 kg,
This bike has been long awaited,
sorry if i rant just my view,

As I said before... there was the CCM 450 Adventure but there is also the AJP PR7 which does tick all the boxes: 165 kg, 48/58 bhp (depending on spec), 200+ mile tank range, 300/280 mm (front/rear) suspension travel. Integrated tablet for GPS, etc.

I still want to try the Kove but I love my PR7!
AJP PR7.png
AJP PR7.png (302.17 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
dave h

Post by dave h »

From Facebook

Gary Goodwin
9 h

#fueldelivery #newmap #smooththrottledelivery
I made a posts last month about my opinions of the slight efi 3500-3800rpm “lurchy” feel of the throttle delivery on the two demo bikes. It’s very subtle and for 90% of the time, you throttle right through this “hiccup” unnoticed. But for me in the more tight and technical stuff (Rocky slow speed) I found it a little annoying.
I’ve been talking with the factory efi management team about this and resolved this slight “hiccup”!
Today we got a chance to download the new map and I’m pleased to report it is very very good!
Super impressed with the responsiveness on this matter and all production bikes WILL get the new map!
Also the Rally pro map on the race bikes are just awesome!! (Yes we plan to make the install / download / flash of the rally pro map available for those that want to add it and de-cat removal to the standard models).
Obviously we will get the tool translated to English for ease of use as well.
Proud to report the slight “hiccup” is gonzo!!

Dave.

Return to “BIKES”