Why did you sell your last bike?

The Things We Ride
AlanHolt

Re: Why did you sell your last bike?

Post by AlanHolt »

I sold my KTM 640 Adventure due to limited parts availablility. I'd buy it back today for more than I sold it for if parts for it were readily available.

Prior to that, I sold my ZX10R because if I kept it, I would end up in prison.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I sold my XS1100 because i couldn't get on with the weight of it anymore and i also got sick of the engine design as it runs "backwards" compared with modern stuff. It was my 4th and you'd think i would have got used to them by now but in the end it just got on my wick. I'd modified it to handle better, run better and stop better, rebuilt the engine to solve the 2nd gear problem, a simple trick to move a washer between the gear cogs, but whenever i got on my XJR afterwards it just wasn't smooth compared. A mate wanted to buy the side panels for his Midnight because they are like rocking horse and i told him £400 which he turned down, so i took the tank and forks off and told him £500 and he bought it. It still had the XJ1100 ignition system and carbs on it which to me were a better option but a big no-no to XS purists.
WP_20210918_13_34_45_Pro (1).jpg
WP_20210918_13_34_45_Pro (1).jpg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

AlanHolt wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:33 am
Prior to that, I sold my ZX10R because if I kept it, I would end up in prison.
:lol: ...yes, properly fast bikes like the ZX10R can get you into a load of trouble very easily.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

dave h wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:43 pm ref tracer 900 a couple of mates have had them for a few years now no additional complaints of buffeting over the rest of us on different bikes,

PS

some of our American friends may not like the term yanks,

dave.
I was chatting to a rider from Southampton on a Tracer 900 in the Cotswolds this summer and he didn't have any problem at all with the wind buffeting so I guess it all depends on individuals. All I can say is that it didn't work for me and that's why I sold it but it does seem to be a common complaint.

(I didn't mean anything negative by using that term...just thought they called us 'Brits' and we called them that...no offence intended.)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Last bike I sold was a KTM 1190 adv, I bought it for all the wrong reasons, but probably needed to, to find that out. Too much money, tall, unreliable ( dashbord, rear light but just an LED) not easy to add DIY accessories to, too much everything power, speed, gizmometry, kinda fun but really not what my riding is about these days. I aint particularly fast on the road but to get from A to B in a short time on a mix of real World Welsh roads it was a weapon, made an absolute joke of my old GS, which itself can do over the odd sportsbike around Llandovery. Too expensive to have tried it on the trail, wish that had been different, not sure I would have been able to pick it up so impractical anyway. Put me off High end big KTM's probably for life their attitude to customers stinks. Still got a 640 and had a couple of orange enduro bikes 20 year old models well engineered machines for the most part. interesting thread why people sell bikes is often interesting thanks for all for the content.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Sold my G.S. to buy a G.S. A.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

mark vb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:25 pm
soho wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 pm
mark vb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:20 pm Sold my lovely '99 50th Anni Transalp a year ago to make more room in the garage for building of a kit car. Then, shortly after, a straight swap of my '06 MT01 for a new but pre-reg SCR950. Otherwise, I haven't sold a bike for many years - I tend to hang onto them.... they're a pretty harmless vice, after all.

I'm not really a TA fan but that thing is lovely, it certainly looks like a keeper.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:53 pm
mark vb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:20 pm Sold my lovely '99 50th Anni Transalp a year ago to make more room in the garage for building of a kit car. Then, shortly after, a straight swap of my '06 MT01 for a new but pre-reg SCR950. Otherwise, I haven't sold a bike for many years - I tend to hang onto them.... they're a pretty harmless vice, after all.
I'm not really a TA fan but that thing is lovely, it certainly looks like a keeper.
It was a indeed a lovely bike at under 4k miles, in genuine 'nearly new' condition. It was to have been a keeper, but one's garage is only so big and a long-awaited project needing space meant something had to go. I couldn't let go of an Africa Twin or Tenere or my old XJR, all have too many memories.... so, sadly, the TA had the short straw 🙁 The upside was it went to a good, local home - a nice chap fanatical about 52 degree Honda V twins 🙂
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I sold my Himalayan because the vibration set off my Raynaud’s, whereas the Meteor I replaced it with and my Guzzis don’t. I was also finding get my leg over the rear seat and panniers a bit of a stretch. The bike before, which I had bought with the intention of keeping, was a CCM GP450, I got rid of it as it was the most unreliable, uncomfortable bike I have ever owned, despite being by far the most expensive. Still got my Triumph TSS I bought 36 years ago.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The last one I sold was bought to try out (Benelli Leoncino) but I ended up keeping the bike it was meant to replace (Himalayan).
The sale prior to that was because the mixture of testosterone and power along with the lack of ABS was rapidly going to reach a conclusion :shock: (Morini Scrambler).
On reflection I would have kept them both but moving bikes around to get to the one I wanted to ride was becoming a pain so I suppose the real reason for sale was lack of space.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “BIKES”