A tale of two test-rides

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

A tale of two test-rides

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I had almost persuaded myself that it's time for the KTM 950 Adventure to go. I've owned it since 2006 or something, it's done over 40,000 miles, it's thirsty by modern standards, and KTM 890 S models are being knocked out new at bargain prices.
So I went and rode the demo at JD Racing. And I'm very glad I did. Some aspects of the bike are much improved...that gearbox must be the best on the market. Makes the 950 gearbox feel like something out of a 1970s tractor. The lower CoG makes it feel lighter, too.
But, I just didn't like it. Not as comfortable, worse weather protection, no underseat storage, the 950's signature and very useful central storage compartment gone, nasty thick levers, a bloated and over-complicated left-hand switch console with difficult to reach horn and indicators, 'bag of spanners' engine sound, and looks only its mother could love. And a distracting screen that showed the fuel tank 1/3 full and a range of 45 miles! Really?
Sorry, but it's not for me. Not even at under £10k.
In fact, when I rode away from the dealer, my main thought was how sad I would feel if I was on the more modern bike. The 950 is like a comfortable pair of shoes. I can ride it all day, rain holds no terrors, it's unconquered.
But then!
Before I left JD, I had a go on a GasGas 700 ES...aka a red KTM 690 Enduro. It's laugh out loud fun. It's got all the best bits of my old DR350S/CCM404DS/KTM525ECX and seemingly none of the drawbacks. Considering adding one to the stable now.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: A tale of two test-rides

Hmmmm,

890.jpg
890.jpg (219.9 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

WOW!
gg700.jpg
gg700.jpg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
dave h

Post by dave h »

shame you didnt gel with the 890 Richard I've enjoyed my 790 for the last few years [my road bike now] as i have the little 390 for trails,
i did think about the mad 700 single but maybe a bit too one track for me,
here's another point of view,

ABR Verdict
As a commuter
Choosing a full-on adventure bike for a daily dash to the office is a curious decision, and with so many of us now working from home, maybe an unnecessary consideration. But if you do want the KTM to perform the more mundane roles, then it will do so with ease. It’s low, long, and agile enough to cut through the traffic, and has plenty of punch to blast along dual carriageways when given the chance, all while you dream of adventures in faraway places.

As a weekend tourer
Few bikes will fit the bill better than the 890 Adventure for weekend touring. Load up the luggage, set the SatNav to somewhere exciting, and head off straight after work on Friday. Just try to resist the urge to keep going way past Monday morning. For the soundtrack, we’re choosing some chilled tunes for such a chilled bike, so it’s the appropriately named Kingdoms in Colour album from Maribou State on the headphones. Perfect.

As an off-roader
From the manufacturer that has ‘Ready to Race’ as a core value, mission statement, and strapline, the 890 Adventure has off-roading written throughout its DNA. This bike is sublimely effective and addictively enjoyable as an off-roader. You will attempt far more on this bike than you think possible, and the bike will emerge unruffled and ready for more every time. Get it dirty.

As a continental road tourer
As you can probably guess, the 890 is in its element with big journeys, thanks to the massive tank range, great luggage carrying capacity and near-perfect ergonomics. Even the seat is all-day comfortable, which if you’ve experienced the upholstered planks fitted to KTM enduro bikes, is a revelation. The only thing you need to decide is how far to go and for how long. The 890 is up for the challenge.

As an RTW overlander
Riders are already using the 790 as a globe-trotting machine, and there’s no reason to think that the 890 won’t have as many fans. Like a trusty camel, it can go massive distances without a drink, it can tolerate poor quality fuel, and has a strong off-road-oriented frame to cope with the punishment of around-the-world travel. KTM has called it ‘the most off-road capable travel bike’ and they are not wrong. So, what are you waiting for?

As a pillion carrier
The 890 will look after your passenger almost as well as you, with a raised and separate pillion seat, sensibly mounted pegs and accessible grab rails. OK, so off the road they are not going to be quite so happy back there, so keep to the tarmac, whack on the tunes and head for the hills.

dave.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Just get the 700
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

looks of the ktm do divide it seems try the toureg richard ..pretty impressive machine i thought ? they can be had brand new at 9 ..i just had to concede the 200kg,m class are too much for me in the uk ...
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Richard Simpson Mark II

Funny you should say that...Minky.

I was going to...I like Aprilias. The nearest demo is in Bristol and I was scheduled to ride up from Saltash and have a go on it.
But, on reflection, it's probably too 'off-road' to replace the old 950 for me. So I cancelled, and took the 700 out instead.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

I just traded in my kawasaki z1000sx last wednesday for a 890 adventure,a real radical move with the 890 having a 21" front wheel,cannot believe how well it handles on the road and 10 times more comfortable than the kawasaki and i am sitting so much more upright so i am happy,and i only paid £9000 for it brand new.
Attachments
20221110_123424.jpg
20221110_123424.jpg (176.31 KiB) Viewed 27860 times
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

Looks so much better in traditional orange [even upside down].You think this is ugly,wait until you see the aprilia up close.This is my 9th KTM you don't buy any of them with good looks in mind.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Collected the ES700 today (hooray)
Rode it carefully home on salty, point of freezing roads as dusk fell, washed it in cold water and put it in the garage.
It's a lot of fun...even in the cold.

Return to “BIKES”