NEW Honda XL750 Transalp LAUNCHED

The Things We Ride
soho

Re: NEW Honda XL750 Transalp LAUNCHED

Post by soho »

Yes......and no price for the quick shifter yet ? (don't want one without and I hate to think what the lead time for that will be,I'll ask Honda at Excell in a couple of weeks)
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

I saw the price somewhere - it's about £280 IIRC
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I'm struggling to see how there's £2.5k more to this bike than the new Hornet. Ok, a bit of plastic bodywork and spoked wheels, but 35% more? Probably something to do with 'adventure' bikes being the current fad. In a year or so, when the novelty has worn off and sales are slow, I suspect they'll be available for well under 9k.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Fou d it. Quicksilver is 240.

I agree it's overpriced compared to the hornet. I don't see what is worth £2500. Perhaps it's that they've underpriced the Hornet. After all, it's hardly any more than the 500X
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As Brits, we sometimes under-estimate how much Honda and Yamaha hate each other. The Hornet is priced the way it is to destroy the Yamaha Tracer or whatever it's called. Honda's probably happy to make a loss on each one for a while. Honda never forgave Yamaha for its attempt to knock them off the 'biggest motorcycle manufacturer in the world' podium in the 1980s.
johnnyboxer

NEW Honda XL750 Transalp LAUNCHED

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:As Brits, we sometimes under-estimate how much Honda and Yamaha hate each other. The Hornet is priced the way it is to destroy the Yamaha Tracer or whatever it's called. Honda's probably happy to make a loss on each one for a while. Honda never forgave Yamaha for its attempt to knock them off the 'biggest motorcycle manufacturer in the world' podium in the 1980s.
But
Yamaha produced better bikes in the late 1970’s and all through the 1980’s
Some of the most exciting bikes of that era
In the 1980’s I had a succession of Yamaha competition & road bikes…I never even bothered looking at Honda’s range, it was dull

Same now with the Tracer/Tenere & MT series - light years ahead in terms of appeal & form/function
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Indeed so, and that's why Honda got so upset...rushed out the first generation of V4s that so tarnished their reputation .

I was manager of a Honda dealership at the time, lucky, lucky me!
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Just a thought, but what does the new Transalp do that the CB500X can't....
Having seen some of the videos that are already coming out, it doesn't look very inspiring at all.
Where does it fit really? I don't see it competing with the T7, KTM. Aprilia, etc
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

qcnr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:27 pm Just a thought, but what does the new Transalp do that the CB500X can't....
Having seen some of the videos that are already coming out, it doesn't look very inspiring at all.
Where does it fit really? I don't see it competing with the T7, KTM. Aprilia, etc
I reckon it's likely to appeal to riders who want more power than a CB500X (95bhp vs 48bhp) and maybe better on the road for distance work than a T7...but not sure how it will compare with the others...
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

The bum-basic CB5X is no off roader . . . or even a soft roader in my experience unless you want to splash another £3k+ for suspension & spoked wheels from RR onto the purchase price of a CB5X!

I bought one to replace my 600 Alp - it didn't!

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “BIKES”