NEW Honda XL750 Transalp LAUNCHED

The Things We Ride
Scott_rider

Re: NEW Honda XL750 Transalp LAUNCHED

Post by Scott_rider »

Michael Neeves of MCN has given it a big thumbs up... 8-)

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Affordable?--light? offroad capability?--its worse than the original 600. IMO too big and bulky and just another road bike.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Scott_rider wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:19 am Michael Neeves of MCN has given it a big thumbs up... 8-)

To be honest I watched that and came away with the feeling that he was trying hard not to be negative about the bike
and that it is actually a bit Meh....
Competent but not particularly good at anything. It has been made slightly better than the CB500X to appeal to people
who think a 500 is a girly bike, but not good enough to tempt people away from buying an AT, even though it is cheaper.
It certainly came across as a road bike.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I notice that although the base price is a bit lower than the "competition" Honda have adopted the car industry approach by making everything an extra--including the bashplate!--the Original 600 came with that and a good rear rack and handguards--and an exhaust system out of the way.--and to be honest I think a more capable offroad bike. The old ones are going up in price--I wonder why. I guess I'm a bit biased :D
adventuredon

Post by adventuredon »

So who’s test ridden one and still slating it? It shifts! It’s very light in slow speed steering, comfy and able to nimble around in the gears if you want. I think it’s the bike the 2017 AT was meant to be. I like it but seat was a bit hard. But it does shift if you keep that throttle pinned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

adventuredon wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:19 pm So who’s test ridden one and still slating it? It shifts! It’s very light in slow speed steering, comfy and able to nimble around in the gears if you want. I think it’s the bike the 2017 AT was meant to be. I like it but seat was a bit hard. But it does shift if you keep that throttle pinned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reviews are very positive in general. One thing said is that it’s not as good as the competition riding slowly which is a negative off road - I’d be interested in your thoughts on this
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Main rival is Tenere 700, I guess and the Transalp has 20 more horse power
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
soho

Post by soho »

Reserve & deposit paid & just waiting it out now. Dealer keeping me up to date. Whilst waiting I was thinking a bike apropriate reg’ number might be nice (this’ll bring out someone morally righteous no doubt, to point out how otherwise money could be used for the greater good ? Go on then ! ;) )

I thought maybe 50 quid might get me something, searched and found this last week * 750 X *√
Tonight the DVLA auction looked like this, it ain’t over yet either !!!!!! :D :D :D
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 18.45.58.png
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 18.45.58.png (46.81 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
soho

Post by soho »

johnnyboxer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:47 pm Main rival is Tenere 700, I guess and the Transalp has 20 more horse power
Johnny B - I hear what your saying , and if I wanted an off road bike I'd have bought the Tenere , but I wanted a touring bike I could manage weight wise......Hello Transalp !
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Well, today I actually got to oggle and fondle a new 750 Alp at Ecosse in Aberdeen. It was still in the process of being built up, but they'd wheeled it out of the work shop so they could actually do some work 0n customers machines.

1st impression - looks to me like its been built to a price. The paint finish wasn't that great and the panels felt flimsy. It's a matt grey paint finish on their demo bike - maybe the gloss white paint scheme will show off the bike better . . . but the panels will still be flimsy!

The rear shock has to have pre-load adjusted by your faithful "C" spanner (hopefully supplied with the bike in a tool kit). How much would a remote pre-load knob have cost in money terms and weight penalty - not much would be my guess.

All the identifying decals are just stickers on top of the paint, no laquer in site, so easy to pick off. Even my 2020 CB500x had laquered over decals on the tank!

The rear brake reservoir is under the rear wheel arch (behind a crud/splash guard admitedly) - what a right pain thats going to be when fluid change time comes around! I couldn't even see the mounting bolt that holds it in place.

The sump has a huge carbuncle of a protrudence on its bottom, with a large flat face facing forward . . . and the bike doesn't come with a sump guard of any sort as standard, but £400 will get you a Honda one.

It's tall, like F800GS tall - I was on tip toes, just like I am on my F8GS. Only a problem for normal sized folk - you leggy feckers would be bovvered by it ;)

Ecosse reckon on it being available to test ride in about 10 days - didn't ask what the delay would be, cos I'm honestly not that interested in trying it out.

Note to anyone thinking of getting one - check the chain tension. The chain on this one was near bow string tight 8| . The label containg the chain tension info said between 50 + 55mm on what looked like the top chain run. Obviously the tech at Honda thought they knew better!

Roll on a real person doing a test ride report on one - maybe it rides OK.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “BIKES”