ADV 350 - first impressions

The Things We Ride
EWR

ADV 350 - first impressions

Post by EWR »

I stopped trail riding a while back, relocated and sold my bikes and gear, as I wasn't really enjoying road roading much either and I wasn't really sure what I wanted out of riding anymore. It all seemed like too much hassle at the time: cleaning, maintenance, bad weather, more cleaning, spreadsheet to keep track of insurance, Tax, Mots and servicing etc. Wear and tear on the body doesn't help.

After some time out, and now living near to some fantastic countryside, I re-engaged and thought about getting another bike? But what? I quite fancied that new Ducati adventure thing or perhaps something more conservative like a Triumph scrambler. But, really - far bigger, faster and much more than I ever need, a variation on themes previously visited and getting stupidly expensive too.

I thought I'd perhaps try an experiment - I wanted something low maintenance, reasonably cheap (not that money was a primary concern but bike prices seem to have gone mad), practical, frugal manageable, well built, a license saver, but still fun. I've only ever owned one scooter before (briefly...a TGB 125) but when I saw the Honda ADV350, I instantly liked the look of it and thought I'd give I a try.

After a very long wait, I got mine this week and it's been out and about and took out over to Tan Hill Inn for a first proper run, 90 miles or so: some A66, up and over the dales, back into town. After a life time of big trail/adventure bikes, I wasn't sure what to expect...but what a revelation this thing is.

Smooth, quick, comfortable, massive under seat storage, great handling, and brakes (as several sheep will no doubt testify), easy to adjust screen, centre stand, keyless, 77mpg thus far, no chain/tubes/spokes to oil/repair/replace, nicely built. The riding position take some adjusting to, but better than I thought: basically it feels like mini, scootery version of my AT1000 DCT. I know lots of people loathe CVT and the elasticity and noise but above 30mph you just don't notice.

The only reservations so far are the rather fiddly and overly complex key less system, which looks like something waiting to fail, the slightly firm ride (but I'm not used to small, fat wheels and rear-mounted engines I guess) and the hard to read dash (very Honda).

If you've ever had reservations, do try a scooter - it might be all you need. Time will tell whether I ultimately gel with it, but it feels like a keeper.

Some pictures:
Attachments
20220619_163655.jpg
20220619_163655.jpg (232.92 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
20220619_163515.jpg
20220619_163515.jpg (241.96 KiB) Viewed 6004 times
onslowe

Re: ADV 350 - first impressions

Post by onslowe »

Thanks for the report, I went to my closest main dealer to look at one but they had just sold the only one they had (possibly to you as your ride report is in my neck of the woods) and said if I paid a deposit I might get one by next February :o Apparently Honda misjudged demand and that as well as the various component supply problems have caused a major delay which is a bit of a bummer. Please keep us posted as a CVT is in my immediate future due to arthritis issues so it might have to be a Vespa GTS in the short term unless something else catches my eye.
Last edited by onslowe on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Brilliant, nice to hear of a UK report.
I would have loved to have an ADV125 instead of the PCX125 I’ve got but unfortunately Honda haven’t brought them here.
Be good to see what it could actually do off road, definitely be suitable for some tracks perhaps around Salisbury.
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
EWR

Post by EWR »

onslowe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:20 pm Thanks for the report, I went to my closest main dealer to look at one but they had just sold the only one they had (possibly to you as your ride report is in my neck of the woods) and said if I paid a deposit I might get one by next February :o Apparently Honda misjudged demand and that as well as the various component supply problems have caused a major delay which is a bit of a bummer. Please keep us posted as a CVT is in my immediate future due to arthritis issues so it might have to be a Vespa GTS in the short term unless something else catches my eye.
Yes, it's apparently February if you order one now: I'm told Honda UK's typically conservative approach didn't help which meant they underestimated demand for it and they've only secured a limited supply but I'm not sure if that's true. But other models are in short supply too.

The CVT whines a little on initial throttle and it feels a little noisy and lethargic- typical scooter you might say - but once it's up to speed, it's transformed. Far smoother than the DCT of my previous bikes and no modes or buttons to fiddle with: the fact it's got none of that, apart from TC, is refreshing too. All I've had to add is my optimate lead.
Attachments
20220619_163455.jpg
20220619_163455.jpg (212.45 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i dont mind admitting i quite like bigger scooters ..and this one looks ijntersesting ....what i cant get me head around is the price ...5500 seems ok ish .....but the bigger bangers are just stupid money ..i saw the honda x asd 700 come out and quite liked it in principal ..thought it would be around 6.5k and the google told me it was nearer 11k .....i nearly spat me cornflakes ....

cant get me head around it at all 11k buuys a very decent new or ex demo 650/700 and a brand new crf 300 ..cant be the only one that was kinda curious about the big scoots till they saw the entrance fee
the 300 maks some sort of sense but the big ones are for eccentric milliionairs i think
im used to 300cc and have no doubts athat you can go long distances on them and i watched some you tube stuff on your bike it looks a pretty good fun way to get about
hope it works out for you dies look smart for sure
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
crofty

Post by crofty »

I'll be following your progress too, I ran a Forza 300 for a year or so and liked it except for the rear suspension which was uncomfortable on the back roads in Scotland. I had considered a newish Forza 350 with a rear suspension upgrade but this adv 350 came along with Showa suspension so very keen to try one. Alas no one has a demo never mind one for sale. The 350 has more than enough performance for me, and the expected mpg in the 80s will make it a good seller i think. Looking forward to your future reports.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Just out of interest what size tank is it and how many miles can you get to a full tank?
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Congrats, I'm very jealous as I have been looking but like everyone else it seems it's next year if you want one.

Looking forward to more reports from your riding :)
one-legged adventurer
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Hello Bob...long time no see!
EWR

Post by EWR »

Godspeed wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:52 pm Just out of interest what size tank is it and how many miles can you get to a full tank?
Just under 12 litres capacity and averaging 77mpg mixed riding, but not run-in yet.

Return to “BIKES”