25%
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

adventure steele

Iceland bike choice?. 390 ADV vs 300 Rally

Post by adventure steele »

UPDATE unfortunately both ktms were rejected at 147 and 267 milees

Ended up on a GS for 2 months struggled with the weight due to an old shoulder injury my 3rd one 1st i loved
Now on a Himalayan an loving it :)

Hi everyone hope we are all well so while I'm laid up with a shoulder injury (none bike related) going stir crazy thought I'd stick a new post up I've been thinking about what bike to get for an up and coming Iceland Trip initially I was just going to do Norway but now I'm really fancying Iceland again.

Currently I'm on a Vstrom 650 XT It's such a beautifully balanced bike super smooth fuelling etc but I've not had it off road yet.

After watching rtw pauls videos on Iceland it's set me off again thinking about lightweight easy to manage bikes an top of Nathans excellent videos and reading Chris Scott's latest posts on his website.

To top if off as well dad n I are doing a house move to either Devon or Scotland with the plan of doing some trips together abroad which is super exciting. So I'm gonna sell my blade n his gsxr n look at some lightweight adv bikes.

With the plan of doing Iceland and Norway + Denmark next year over a couple of months n hopefully after that some trips more further afield and longer duration. I'd like to get onto the F road's etc.

I've been running through the bike options.

Keep the Weestrom n get dad one but that could be limiting for the F Roads n river crossings.

UPDATE
so bike choice has changed quite a bit managed to look at lots of them.
More info and pics in on page 4

Currently very curious about the 390 Adventure or a 300 Rally.

N a post is worthless without pics so here's one of a rally I managed to get a sit on when we first started thinking of Hondas again.

What would the more experienced do? anyone done Iceland on a Strom? I know anything is doable but it'd be good to have a manageable option.

Anyone managed to get a leg over the 300L and Rally and compare them to a 390 ADV?

Last edited by adventure steele on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:44 am, edited 11 times in total.
Tonibe63

Re: Iceland bike choice?. 300 Rally - 300L - Himmy

Post by Tonibe63 »

Just for info re Himalayan:-
The stalling issue was on some Euro 4's (never a problem on mine with 8k miles on it).
The fuel pump relay issue is on the Euro 5's.

Surely with a fleet of small bikes to try out, plus a wealth of travel experience, Nathan Millward has to be your first port of call.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I’d take the Husky Norden back to it’s Viking roots.

Food for thought ( yes I know it’s a KTM)
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I’d take the Husky Norden back to it’s Viking roots.

Food for thought ( yes I know it’s a KTM)
dave h

Post by dave h »

Easy 300 rally,

dave.
adventure steele

Thanks guys the Norden looks great but I don't see any advantage over it to the Stom 800gs or the T7 class of bikes with it being another big n heavy ADV Tourer looks darn cool though! ( for ref I had a 1200gsa te, f800gs, 1000xt)

Thanks for the info n the stalling n the relays on the Himmy's I wasn't sure which way round it was n yep soon as my shoulder is well I'll have to look at booking a day down at Nathans.
Last edited by adventure steele on Wed May 04, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

We will be taking KTM 525's when we go. The Honda is probably a good choice but we don't own one, we will however be riding with someone who does so will report back.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

If you have the Strom, that's what I recommend you use.
In Iceland off roading is not allowed. The Strom is good for the F roads as long as they don't get too sandy. It's better on the main roads than most others mentioned here. I'd take the Strom and put on new knobby tires on arrival.
If you had no bike I'd recommend the Honda rally. Or get the L and add a screen.
KTM 390 adventure is something I'd also recommend.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
adventure steele

Thanks Snaffy look forward to seeing how you all get on :)

Thanks Magnusson I'm still fleshing the route out that we want to take hoping to be over for about a month and do as much of the F roads as we can in Iceland from what I've read up there's hardly any off road in Norway.

Hoping to go down to Steph Jeavons at moto junkies at some point an pick up some new skills which will be a good opportunity to try the L.

yep if dad already had a 650XT as well we would just take them but it's food for thought when we have to bring in one bike for dad to swap mine out as well
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

if you inseam is 32 or better id be on this like a flash the 300r motor has a bit more braap than the 300l perfect for what you want ..quality parts making the base bike is around 3 grand low milage and a good looker .......

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51994
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”