What would you buy for £5000

The Things We Ride
Darren s

What would you buy for £5000

Post by Darren s »

Looking to buy a new bike in a few months 5k ish. It will be my only vehicle so used to commute and weekend fun. Just putting it out there for people to give me some options

Cheers
Godspeed

Re: What would you buy for £5000

Post by Godspeed »

Gosh, that’s a hard question to answer…
Could you have a couple of bikes or is it space? If so maybe a TDM or Fazer for some road trips and get a little 125 for off road.
Or a brand new Himalayan.
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Tenere 700
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:33 pm Tenere 700
You could be right but I’m about 5k short :lol: I’m always out for a bit of a bargain I have been thinking ktm 990.
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

Godspeed wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 pm Gosh, that’s a hard question to answer…
Could you have a couple of bikes or is it space? If so maybe a TDM or Fazer for some road trips and get a little 125 for off road.
Or a brand new Himalayan.
Space is a factor but I’m also a person that doesn’t like waste and one bike would end up sitting a lot.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Me?
.. well £5,000 would only buy a budget new or newish bike ... an I dun that .. got my 250 Rally.
I suppose if I'd had £5,000 in my pocket I would have got a new crf300Rally .. with HP for the remainder.
(or for practical purposes, a new 300L as its 1" lower and less fairing to damage and less weight to drag over techy trails, but then i would miss the fairing and better looks of the Rally.) ..

So in my present circumstances .. I could invest the 5g in `upgrades` for the 250 Rally ... Ohlins suspension front and back, Brembo brakes, and... but I suspect i would have run out before .

5g is not a lot to play with.

Another alternative for me, would be to leave things as they are and get a used lightweight trail bike .. like a .. er .. um, o,.. i dunno, but something around 100kg? .. Honda Montesa Cota 4 Ride ?

... or maybe a good used small van ,, ???

yeah .... that's it ... I would keep things as they are and get a cheap good small van, (trade in my cheap little fiesta), .. and get a cheap used small lightweight trail bike. 8-) 8-) 8-)

so that would leave me with my NC750 for road work and possible touring on the cheap .. 250Rally for dual sport, RTW, easy trails etc, and the van for carrying the bikes, and shopping lol, and forays with the 4Ride.

Thank you very much .. 5g much appreciated .. will send you my bank details asap. .. :lol:
.. for YOU .. i would say buy a crf300 Rally, 5g as down payment, but the wait is too long atm, so probably buy a crf250Rally plus HP, as you can have various modes of fun at the weekends and still have a viable and economical commuter.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Darren s wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:15 pm Looking to buy a new bike in a few months 5k ish. It will be my only vehicle so used to commute and weekend fun. Just putting it out there for people to give me some options

Cheers
How far is the commute?
What do you need to carry on your commute?
What is the weekend fun you want to use it for?
How are you with spannering?
Lots of bikes out there for £5k if you don't want the latest 'must have'.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
illmor

Post by illmor »

Cb500x maybe ?

Wysłane z mojego RMX2155 przy użyciu Tapatalka

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

commute you will want relianility and some sort of econimy i guess and 2nd hand it would have to be jap .... tidy v strom ? versys ? would be sensible high milers easy to run in 650class ..i the nc 700 must be the king of comute at 80mpg but the suspension is sub par and annoying ...you can have a lot of fun on a honda rally and its a great commuter in traffic ...its hard as telling someoone what bike to get is like telling them what book to read or film to watch it doesnt always work .... id go for a established jap 2nd hand ..maby the voge 500 has a place if you want new they get very good revies .....good luck
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Too many variables:

Do you mean new or new to you?
Do you need 2 up or off road capability?
How far is your commute?
Are you a big bike or small bike person?

For me, if I was going back to one bike for regular, but relatively light use with a £5k budget I’d be torn between a Himalayan, 650 Enfield or 700 Tenere. Beginning to find bigger bikes too heavy and older bikes too much work so I’m kind of in a similar situation but prepared to spend a bit more on a V85TT.

Return to “BIKES”