What would you buy for £5000

The Things We Ride
Lexinoo

Re: What would you buy for £5000

Post by Lexinoo »

I agree , I think the tenere is a brilliant bike but it's way over the 5k budget mentioned. I've ridden one briefly at the abr festival and loved it but I did think it was big and quite top heavy compared to the bikes I've owned in the past (Mx bikes ,DRZ 400 , and road bikes such as Street triple ,mt09 etc);which are all small and light so I suppose it would do.
If it was a little bit smaller and lighter i think it'd be perfect though.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

KTM 950/990 Adventure well within your budget.

Yes there are 'issues' but nothing that can't be sorted. Loads of info on line.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Lexinoo wrote:I agree , I think the tenere is a brilliant bike but it's way over the 5k budget mentioned. I've ridden one briefly at the abr festival and loved it but I did think it was big and quite top heavy compared to the bikes I've owned in the past (Mx bikes ,DRZ 400 , and road bikes such as Street triple ,mt09 etc);which are all small and light so I suppose it would do.
If it was a little bit smaller and lighter i think it'd be perfect though.
It’s like a big dirt bike in reality
I rode one at the ABR festival and bought one - done 5000 miles now
Great all rounder for a 200 mile day and slipping in a few chosen green lanes - be perfect for Pyrenees or Spain on hard pack pistes
Of course a smaller enduro bike is better in all off-road situations and that’s why I have one of them too
But the Tenere 700 fills the gap between an enduro bike and the bigger GS Adv (road tours only) for me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Darren s wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:44 am
Magnon wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:46 pm What’s the issue with the current bike? or are you just looking for a change.

Honestly nothing I was just looking for something that was better offroad that being said I did wonder what I could do to the tiger to bring it up to a standard that was ok offroad. There’s not a lot of information out there on them
"Off Road" means so different for different persons. So it is easy to misunderstand each other.
Some call everything except tarmac for off road.
Others (like me) call gravel and dirt roads for on-road, Unpaved roads.
Off roads = No road, just trail.

If you want to do some dirt/gravel roads. I propose that you change tires on the Tiger, and you will be fine.
Some "50/50" tires, Brand is not important.
Start with easy rides and gain confidence.

TET 43.jpg
TET 43.jpg (177.5 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Suzuki DL 650 with 20/80 tires does well on gravel roads. With 50/50 it will be even better.
Limit when going off road: ground clearance and suspension.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Strictly speaking off road riding is not allowed in the UK, France and many other countries except on private land. I presume the OP would like to ride some trails which may be gravel roads, forest tracks etc. which in the main can be tackled on a biggish bike with mixed tyres but which can get quite difficult especially in the wet, which it often is in the UK! This means trying to make a big bike useable of the tougher trails means fitting quite aggressive tyres which then don’t work so well on tarmac and wear quickly.

It’s all a compromise.
Richard Simpson Mark II

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/2006 ... st-5882943

leaves you £2k contingency to sort out the oil leak.

Looks hideous IMHO, but who cares.
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:30 pm https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/2006 ... st-5882943

leaves you £2k contingency to sort out the oil leak.

Looks hideous IMHO, but who cares.
I must admit out of all the bikes out there a 990-950 takes my fancy quite a lot
Richard Simpson Mark II

I've had my 950 since 2005...have ridden other 'comparable' bikes but there's nothing that really compares to it...not even later KTM twins. It has an appetite for distance and the ability to tackle at least moderately tough lanes etc. With a good strong rider on it, it could go almost anywhere...but I'm not as good or a strong as I once was.

I haven't ridden the Yam T7 or the aprilia 660 yet, though...
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:55 am I've had my 950 since 2005...have ridden other 'comparable' bikes but there's nothing that really compares to it...not even later KTM twins. It has an appetite for distance and the ability to tackle at least moderately tough lanes etc. With a good strong rider on it, it could go almost anywhere...but I'm not as good or a strong as I once was.

I haven't ridden the Yam T7 or the aprilia 660 yet, though...

From what I’ve read and listened to it seems like a good do it all bike not without faults of course. Lots of aftermarket parts about I’m not put off with a older bike that has a few miles on it and I do love a bit of tinkering someone has to ride these older bikes 😂. Any pictures of yours
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Unless you feel the need to frequently travel on motorways the Himalayan would meet all your needs and at 80mpg you can afford to go places as well.

Return to “BIKES”