The RE Himalayan ...

The Things We Ride
crofty

Re: The RE Himalayan ...

Post by crofty »

I've had both, the XT i rode for about 20k and the RE for about 10k, both touring here and abroad. The XT is the one I miss the most and if I had been a younger man I wouldn't have sold it.. If you loved the XT I don't think you would be satisfied with the Himalayan. The Himalayan will do what you want easily,and if you buy a 2nd hand one you will hardly lose any money on resale if it doesn't work out. The Himalayan UK FB page is a great place to ask detailed questions about the bike and learn about the real world day to day running.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

SAM_4323.JPG
SAM_4323.JPG (155.97 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
For me the xt660z is the best bike ever I've got Croftys old one ...it's had full suspension upgrades now front and rear and a few personal touches a Himalayan won't come close...I can ride 500 miles anyday comfy and then blat about off road ...

I'd rate the Xt660z over the Yamaha T7 anyday but prices are way above sensibility lol..
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

20200507_172240.jpg
20200507_172240.jpg (208.84 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Know what you mean Russ....miss mine .
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Try a KTM 390 Adventure before you make up your mind!
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

Well ... I did'nt have the cash to get the standard of XT660z that I would want ... had a good think abiout what I want to do this summer and decided that I want a trip up to the Highlands soon and then a blat down to the Sth of France and back via the Route Napoleon (one of my favourite road trips) and so ... bought an FJR1300 with full kit :lol: ... they get good reviews, have a loyal following and I may as well have comfort.

Lets see how we get on 8-)
dave h

Post by dave h »

surely this post should have bee titled I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket,

enjoy your new trail bike,

dave.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

good choice ,,, the FJR 1300 roadie is as close as you could get to the 400 Himalayan dual, 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Many happy BBlattts of the dayssss ..... :D
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

dave h wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:37 pm surely this post should have bee titled I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket,

enjoy your new trail bike,

dave.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know :roll: ... once I am without a bike then I am fair game for anything from a Honda 50 to a ZZR14 ... all of them offer me dreams of an open road :roll: :D ... its like needing a fix!!!!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

It will be quicker on the FJ but more fun and a damn sight cheaper on the Himmy. Good luck anyway.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Jak* wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 pm I have had mine about three and a half years and done 33,000 miles. For the first couple of years it was pretty standard but now has a lot of little mods and I have just fitted one of the Indian made ‘performance’ camshafts. If you avoid long stretches on motorways and straight dual carriageways it is brilliant on road. The handling means you can pass a lot of bigger bikes on the twisties. Excellent fuel economy (about 85 mpg is common) and a reasonable size tank means you only have to stop about every 250 miles or so. I have used mine for a mix of commuting and a couple of longish trips, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc, through the Picos, Pyrenees. Alps and Dolomites it was awesome. Did a few dirt roads over there too. I am not a great off road rider but it inspires confidence. I actually enjoy riding it off road more than I did my CCM GP450. It’s mild manners mean you can potter along and enjoy the views. I guess if you are a bit more serious off road rider you might want to upgrade the suspension, but it is okay for me.
Issues have been steering head bearings (they forget to tell the workers to grease them), the side stand is too long, the brake callipers seized if they got salt on them, some bikes have issues with relays (mine hasn’t), like a lot of modern vehicles if you don’t use them regularly the battery doesn’t last (mine is still on the original), the seat is not the best although mine seemed okay to star5 with and deteriorated after about 10,000 miles. Mine is a 2018 model and a lot of the problems have been sorted on the later ones or been subject to a factory recall. There is an excellent Facebook group.
Most dealers have ones you can test ride or Nathan Millward does his experience days when you can have a day out on the and other similar bikes.
Personally I reckon they are probably one of the most complete ‘adventure bikes’ out of the box. A lot of owners on the forum have bigger bikes as well but find they hardly use them cos the Himalayan is so much more fun. The last big trip I went on was Scotland and I thought about taking my Guzzi Cali 3 but I was doing mainly minor roads and 85 as opposed to 55mpg swung it for me.
I only wish Enfield had brought it out a year earlier, then I wouldn’t have wasted so much money on the CCM.
How do you find the performance cam shaft?
Do you know if there’s and long term reliability issues with it?- thanks

Return to “BIKES”