The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: chinese are coming

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Sobering stuff

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 pm I've spoken to a number of independent motorcycle repair shops about Chinese bikes.

They are difficult to work on because fasteners are of poor quality and seize and round off easily once the bike is a few years old.

It's hard to justify a couple of hours of extra labour dealing with this type of issue when say, changing a set of brake pads on a bike that is really only worth buttons.

They are probably OK if the owner is a proficient mechanic prepared to pre-empt such issues, but the type of owner attracted to this type of machine usually isn't.

The Chinese home market don't care: IIRC everything over 3 years old gets scrapped by law anyway so it's not an issue for them.
may be true for some ...but i really think you need to take a very close look at some of the latest offerings ..brembo brakes kyb suspension marzochie forks ...bosch abs sysems .. ..pleanty of bikes south of 50.000 clicks up on the italian forums ..factories there making motors for bmw and ktm for years ..light years ahead of the game in elecric vehicles ...they are uppong there game
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I took my son’s Zontes GT125 in for its first service the other day. It is an excellent bike and a good choice for a learner. The quality looks similar to the latest Japanese offerings and better than the KTM 125s. They had a Zontes 310 Adventure in there, next time I will try and get a test ride on it. Again the quality looks better than BMW and KTMs equivalent and for a lower price.
I suppose nowadays so much stuff is built in different countries to the original location of the manufacturers that this debate is almost irrelevant.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

There is a big difference between the cheap and cheerful--and disposable, 125s that you see throughout the world doing a good job in getting people around--and our "high end" luxury toy market. The Chinese sources are overcoming their reputation for "poor quality" on these disposable ,small bikes by buying into established brands as we have seen. At the end of the day quality and value for money will win through and it will be a levelling affair. It will reduce the price of some vastly overpriced farkles, but also increase the price of the "copies" as their quality is forced to improve. I would comment on control levers as an example--I've used Chinese SOURCED levers on all my bikes for years--good quality, span adjustable, good form etc--and at a very reasonable price. I've never had one break or fail (and used offroad with falls). The "European" sourced items are typically 3 times the price, and I can't see the difference as both are billet machined (and I bet the "European" ones are actually sourced from China anyway!). It must be noted that these parts are not OE copies as the OE equivalent DOES NOT have the sophistication of adjustment etc. Don't forget how the British bike manufacturing industry died because it failed to innovate, improve quality and value for money--and the Japanese simply copied, and then improved, and then took over.
Last edited by catcitrus on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Jak* wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:48 am I took my son’s Zontes GT125 in for its first service the other day. It is an excellent bike and a good choice for a learner. The quality looks similar to the latest Japanese offerings and better than the KTM 125s. They had a Zontes 310 Adventure in there, next time I will try and get a test ride on it. Again the quality looks better than BMW and KTMs equivalent and for a lower price.
I suppose nowadays so much stuff is built in different countries to the original location of the manufacturers that this debate is almost irrelevant.
just had a look at the bike online ..tbo id never heard of one before you mentioned it ..but its easy to see why it appeals and a pretty high spec not least being 1500 quid chepaer than the likes of a mt125 ....depriciation is a problem but your already 1500 quid ahead over the yamaha ...and of course for a yopunger rider on a budget that will be significant ..
does look smart i must say

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
dave h

Post by dave h »

ktm 790 engine copy reports of 160kg ,

im a bit sceptical on the weight but who knows,

dave.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

The Stelvio was in for a MOT on Sat and the dealer had a VOGE 500 sitting in the shop along with a mass of assorted 125's. Had a good poke around and a quick (cheeky) ride around the estate, for just over £5k it was quite tempting.
I know everyone complains about poor quality components and fasteners but the brakes and suspension were brand names (don't know where they were manufactured) and I'm old enough to remember poor quality fasteners on Jap bikes in the 70's so thats not a total turn off.
Might have to try and get a decent test ride in spring.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I guess not Chinese but with some parts produced overseas
The Meandering Moustache