crf250 Rally

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: crf250 Rally

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that, mag, .. something to look forward to , lol.
For replacements and mods etc, it may be better to try crf specific sites. I can't recommend one specific site as they are all a bit bitty? so I have just joined all the ones with big followings. LEDs come up fairly regularly.

crf300l/rally owners club has a lot of answers.
also crf250L owners.

its a bit confusing which model is referred to, at times, on all the sites, and the US models are sometimes different to UK.
2017-2020 inclusive, are a bit different to other models.
I haven't delved too far into stuff as i want to keep it simple (stupid), but most new buyers are well into mods .. even before their new crf arrives lol, but there is loads of info out there, on the fb groups, if you can find it.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I wonder if i can summon up the energy and enthusiasm to remove my oem rear shock? today.
johnnyboxer

crf250 Rally

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:I wonder if i can summon up the energy and enthusiasm to remove my oem rear shock? today.
Probably have to strip half the bike again

On my XR400R-it’s just 2 screws to remove the rear brake lens cover

I can do it outside the bike shop, in 30 seconds & take the bulb in and they give me another

Progress …eh

At least with my Tenere 700 rear light it’s LED (headlight too) already ….quality ImageImage
Last edited by johnnyboxer on Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Magnusson wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 pm Sharing my experience. 8-)
The rear light on my rally didn't light up (breaklight worked) so I decided to do some diagnosing on this complicated machinery. After about an hour of hard work I had managed to fix it.
15 minute disassembly of the rear, removing the seat, top box, Camel tank, luggage rack, plastic cover (in this order) allowed me access to the bulb. Another 15 minutes cycling to the hardware store that according to their website had them in stock. Cycling back (cycling is hard). Installing the new bulb. Testing. Reassembling. Pat myself on the back for a job well done. After shortish test ride reward myself with cold brew. I'm the best boss I've ever had.
Why on earth isn't the rear light lens removable with couple of screws on the outside, like the old by bikes. :x

As a side note. Does anyone know of good LED replacement for 21/5w bulbs?
i feel your pain ...after doing 4 hours in the dark with me mobile phone torch gaffa taped to the rear light a few years ago ..i decided that it was not very good ..as me pannier frames and rack are reliant on the seat bolt and are a pain in theass .....
when i replacd the bulb you may have seen the light fitting is held with two allun bolts ..when the se are removed there is enough wire to pull the light out rearwards and put in a new bulb .. my solution was to drill two 16mm holes in the tail panel and use grommets to seal them up ...you can now get diectly to the two bolts and pull the tail light back to replace the bulb access is pretty easy and it just a 5min job now ..strippin off the luggage and panner rail rear rack just aint going to happen at the roadside .....pretty stupid design as you say whats wrongwith acouple of 3mm screws ala 1980 .....progress sucks sometimes .

on the bright side removing the rear shock is a ten minut job

me home made temporary grommets seem to have become premanant ....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

FFS .. all afternoon just to get the lower bolt off the shock bottom. Gnarled the nut in the process. Tight as. Thought it must be a left hand thread, it was so tight, ruined the 17mm nut, but the bolt head 14mm turned it out, which I always though was the wrong way, but it iss definitely a normal thread.
Hope to attempt the top shock bolt tomorrow, but not hopeful. I don't want to take the battery plastic box out as it looks complicated? But I can't see any other way. I have left my whereabouts with next of kin, in case I can't do it in one go tomorrow.
I shall take a week's supply of provisions.
I may be some time.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

garyboy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:37 pm Thanks for that, mag, .. something to look forward to , lol.
For replacements and mods etc, it may be better to try crf specific sites. I can't recommend one specific site as they are all a bit bitty? so I have just joined all the ones with big followings. LEDs come up fairly regularly.

crf300l/rally owners club has a lot of answers.
also crf250L owners.

its a bit confusing which model is referred to, at times, on all the sites, and the US models are sometimes different to UK.
2017-2020 inclusive, are a bit different to other models.
I haven't delved too far into stuff as i want to keep it simple (stupid), but most new buyers are well into mods .. even before their new crf arrives lol, but there is loads of info out there, on the fb groups, if you can find it.
To make it even more confusing the Japanese version of the 300 (frame updates etc.) is actually 250cc.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Image20220326_154014 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

more FFS's .. unless you got a workshop, don't bother .. its easier to just buy a lowering link, or even better, a better shock.
Took ages to drill through, creating an abortion of a job, and used 3 new drill bits lol.

The top shock bolt came out ok .. once i got my 1/2 drive out and big torque wrench. Again i used the bolt side 14mm. I remember reading now that the newer bolts have got washers built in and hold better. Yup, They do.

Next job is to put it back in ... omg .. perhaps i am just getting old(er).

I also wound the preload full up, as it was full down (softer) before .. perhaps that's why it felt like i was riding on the rubber bumper lol.

The idea is to over extend the drill c/c, old/new, but make up with the longer shock now its been wound up. I went for 19mm as for t he crf250L, but the one description i read recommended 15mm. If it dont work right .... i will save up for a new shoc k lol.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

As if by magic Ryan Fort Nine explains suspensions in his latest video.

It's as if he knew what we were discussing here. and he advertises the ABR festival. Do you have your tickets yet?). :lol:
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I'm still not well enough to work on my ride-gagging-for 250Rally, but I have just ordered a plastic bash plate and fairing protector for £142 from Kodama composites, to arrive in 2 weeks or so, uk made to order. We'll chuffed as could not find one , till crf rally Adventure Travellers bike web site fb group recommend it. Yay ..

It fits over the original bash plate plastics, but of tough quality. Glued I think. and said to work well.. chuffed, as I like the Rally fairing looks.
Last edited by garyboy on Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I didn't appreciate the noise on my metal bash plate on my ex 250L, horrible noise, but did its job well. The plastic one is reinforced and slide better over rocks etc. I will probably put a tough tile sponge under, and cable tie on. ?

I really didn't want to alter anything at all, as its all so well balanced, but some things are essential. I also have 2 inch bar risers to fit, and I will attempt a bodge at seat lowering using that tile foam . Probably ruin all the ballance, doh, but I don't want another fall from being too high a seat, and want to be able to stand up, which I have not been able to do so far.

Return to “BIKES”