dodursley wrote:some links to CRF300 rally on the Exeter

Isn’t that the L, not the Rallye ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
bowber

Re: CRF300 rally?? like

Post by bowber »

Having just bought a CRF300l to replace my 701 and also having a T7 I can tell you from my point of view the CRF is a great trail bike, it's more precise than the 701 which makes it better for UK trails.
On rocky climbs the 701 has to be pointed in the right direction and basically fired through, you can't trials ride it like you can with an EXC, it excels at high speed rough going, and how much of that is there in the UK?
So I'll miss the power and the quality of the components but that's about it.
It took me about 1/2 mile on Lady Ann's to know the CRF is far better for UK trail riding and a tour around the south lakes last Saturday just confirmed it with the CRF just going where it was pointed, no fuss or drama, and I don't know what they've done with the suspension but it's far better than the 250l my wife had, it's soft but I never felt like I'd bottomed it once even pushing it reasonably hard.
As for a comparison with the T7, get real, if you fancy fighting your T7 over Breasthigh or Gatesgarth good on you, dragging it out of a bog in Wales? Bugger that!
The T7 is a road bike you can take off road a little
The 701 is good off road and Ok on the road but to be honest it's wasted in the UK as it needs more open going to make use of the stability and motor, it's rock solid at speed.
The CRFs are nice and typically Honda, they'll go on for ever and while they're nothing startling you'll get everywhere on one.
Now where's that suspension and motor tuning catalogue 😄

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Great to hear that, Steve .. really good news for me. :D 8-)
I would love to see a comparison of the 300 Rally and the 250 Rally. Certainly the 250 Rally is far better than the 2015L I had. even though they are supposed to have the same engine. Thank you for the comparisons with the bigger, more powerful 701 and T7 .. I was wondering about that. and chuffed I seem to have made a good choice. As you say, Honda have been tweaking the engine with seemingly small changes, but with surprising results. I find mine can chug along fine, on the flat, in second and even third, at quite low speeds, and, as minky says, there is no need to alter the cogs. On road it keeps up with traffic well enough and even has a fair turn of speed when asked. But I never expected the 300, and hopefully the 250 Rally, to compare very favourably withe the 2 bigger icons.
Well chuffed now 8-)
johnnyboxer

CRF300 rally?? like

Post by johnnyboxer »

bowber wrote:Having just bought a CRF300l to replace my 701 and also having a T7 I can tell you from my point of view the CRF is a great trail bike, it's more precise than the 701 which makes it better for UK trails.
On rocky climbs the 701 has to be pointed in the right direction and basically fired through, you can't trials ride it like you can with an EXC, it excels at high speed rough going, and how much of that is there in the UK?
So I'll miss the power and the quality of the components but that's about it.
It took me about 1/2 mile on Lady Ann's to know the CRF is far better for UK trail riding and a tour around the south lakes last Saturday just confirmed it with the CRF just going where it was pointed, no fuss or drama, and I don't know what they've done with the suspension but it's far better than the 250l my wife had, it's soft but I never felt like I'd bottomed it once even pushing it reasonably hard.
As for a comparison with the T7, get real, if you fancy fighting your T7 over Breasthigh or Gatesgarth good on you, dragging it out of a bog in Wales? Bugger that!
The T7 is a road bike you can take off road a little
The 701 is good off road and Ok on the road but to be honest it's wasted in the UK as it needs more open going to make use of the stability and motor, it's rock solid at speed.
The CRFs are nice and typically Honda, they'll go on for ever and while they're nothing startling you'll get everywhere on one.
Now where's that suspension and motor tuning catalogue Image

Steve
Interesting to read & surprised to see the 701 leave the stable, as they are gaining popularity in recent years
I saw a video of some T7 and AT riders going around trails in Wensleydale that I ride on a small trail bike
It looked hard work and they were making a right mess with that power on grassy & muddy lanes, sadly
I would like to try a CRF 300 L as they look very versatile
Like you say, with the T700 I would choose my lanes carefully, like Cam High Road, High lane and Nidderdale ones etc and really bought it for using in drier climes like Spain and Alps etc

With money we don't have

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just watched the Exeter vid --well done sir----and I've done those sections clean on my WR250R also(also pulls well from low revs --and I'm not a clutch user once rolling). Whats interesting is the way it lugs and finds grip as a result-a pulsed torque delivery with less tendency to rev quickly---no real clutch slip!!!--NOT necessary! A lot to be said for NOT having a bike that needs revs when you are doing slow and nadgery sections
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I enjoyed those videos 8-) .
I'm going back quite a few years but my old 300 EXC 2 stroke would light up the rear wheel at the slightest touch of the throttle and lose traction but my later 450 EXC 4 stroke could almost be ridden like a trials bike at low speed without using the clutch (apart from the obvious lack of steering lock) and then would light up the rear wheel at higher revs. Best of both worlds, in my humble opinion.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
bowber

Post by bowber »

johnnyboxer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 am
Interesting to read & surprised to see the 701 leave the stable, as they are gaining popularity in recent years
I saw a video of some T7 and AT riders going around trails in Wensleydale that I ride on a small trail bike
It looked hard work and they were making a right mess with that power on grassy & muddy lanes, sadly
Like you say, with the T700 I would choose my lanes carefully, like Cam High Road, High lane and Nidderdale ones etc and really bought it for using in drier climes like Spain and Alps etc
I don't tend to keep bikes for ever and it's nice to try something else.
The 701 is a good bike and it's been reliable but it's got way to much power and the handling is a little quirky with the fuel tank at the back making the front very light.
I have the T7 for pretty much the same reason as you, it's for holidays and occasionally light trail use.
I hate road bikes, the riding position just doesn't work for me and sports bikes are even worse.
So it's the CRF for trail riding and local rides and the T7 for everything else (when I'm not out ont push iron)

Steve
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

bowber wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:06 am
I don't tend to keep bikes for ever and it's nice to try something else.
The 701 is a good bike and it's been reliable but it's got way to much power and the handling is a little quirky with the fuel tank at the back making the front very light.
I have the T7 for pretty much the same reason as you, it's for holidays and occasionally light trail use.
I hate road bikes, the riding position just doesn't work for me and sports bikes are even worse.
So it's the CRF for trail riding and local rides and the T7 for everything else (when I'm not out ont push iron)

Steve
Thanks Steve
These CRF 300 L seem to be gaining traction (pun intended) with a lot of folks now, including a lot of folks locally whose opinion I value on all things trail riding
Maybe a replacement for the XR400R (at long last) for me

With money we don't have

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Factor in a possible 6 month waiting list? for a new one?
.. hopefully not.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:Factor in a possible 6 month waiting list? for a new one?
.. hopefully not.
Doesn’t bother me, if I ordered a 300
I have other bikes to ride, in the meantime

With money we don't have

Return to “BIKES”