CRF300 rally?? like

The Things We Ride
catcitrus

Re: CRF300 rally?? like

Post by catcitrus »

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:48 am I enjoyed those videos 8-) .
I'm going back quite a few years but my old 300 EXC 2 stroke would light up the rear wheel at the slightest touch of the throttle and lose traction but my later 450 EXC 4 stroke could almost be ridden like a trials bike at low speed without using the clutch (apart from the obvious lack of steering lock) and then would light up the rear wheel at higher revs. Best of both worlds, in my humble opinion.
You make a good point about lack of lock on KTM enduros--always makes you tipple off, or makes life difficult getting out of ruts when stuck or turning around. Both my Kawa SS and WR250R have good locks. I remember doing trail bike trials with the Bristol Phoenix club year and years ago on a XR250--and had to take a file to the lock stops to get around some of the sections--a KTM most certainly wouldn't make it unless you were good enough to spin the back round at zero speed, feet up!
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

catcitrus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am
I'm going back quite a few years but my old 300 EXC 2 stroke would light up the rear wheel at the slightest touch of the throttle and lose traction but my later 450 EXC 4 stroke could almost be ridden like a trials bike at low speed without using the clutch (apart from the obvious lack of steering lock) and then would light up the rear wheel at higher revs. Best of both worlds, in my humble opinion.
You make a good point about lack of lock on KTM enduros--always makes you tipple off, or makes life difficult getting out of ruts when stuck or turning around. Both my Kawa SS and WR250R have good locks. I remember doing trail bike trials with the Bristol Phoenix club year and years ago on a XR250--and had to take a file to the lock stops to get around some of the sections--a KTM most certainly wouldn't make it unless you were good enough to spin the back round at zero speed, feet up!
This is how David Knight gets round 'the lack of steering lock'... 8-) . If only we could all ride an enduro bike like that...

Skip to 4 mins 55 secs

Skip to 5 mins 5 secs

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

johnnyboxer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 am
garyboy wrote:Factor in a possible 6 month waiting list? for a new one?
.. hopefully not.
Doesn’t bother me, if I ordered a 300
I have other bikes to ride, in the meantime
good luck and best wishes ....

the 250 Rally is good on the road, for what it is ... much perkier engine than my old 250L, keeps up well with traffic and can give a reasonable turn of speed . and is comfortable at 50-60mph but can rev to do more ... 80 slightly downhill was stable and easy.

Petrol consumption, on first counts, seems about the same as my NC750? .. about 80mpg or is that 90mpg ... it looks like its going to do about 150 miles to a tank at £10.50? .. but i will have to wait for more accuracy, as only have way through .atm .

The 300 Rally `should` be even better, by all accounts, as the gear ratios are lower in the lower gears ... and reputedly has more power on the road. If I had ridden one I am sure I would have recommended it lol :D
johnnyboxer

CRF300 rally?? like

Post by johnnyboxer »

Scott_rider wrote:
catcitrus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am
This is how David Knight gets round 'the lack of steering lock'... 8-) . If only we could all ride an enduro bike like that...

Skip to 4 mins 55 secs

Skip to 5 mins 5 secs

I saw a 6’ 10 Aussie do that that on a 1150 GS Adv, in a shallow stream in the Dales
Pivot turn on a 250kg Adv, was impressive to see
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

l
Last edited by minkyhead on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:50 pm like tha mad tv productions ...just seen this one 500exc 701 husky and a 300 rally ...stick with it its very good watch paricularly the 2nd half

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Nice one 😎. That Australian video is good. I’m 15 minutes into it and hooked 😎.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Hi everyone thought I'd jump in on this as I've been looking at the Rally n 300L. What sort of MPG are they returning between 60-70?

What's everyone's take between the 300l and the Rally looking at buying one or two if Dad comes for the trip to Iceland next year so bit of road n off road use n long days :D which leans me a bit towards the Rally with it's bigger tank an wind protection. How's everyone been getting on with the side plastics durability wise? I do like the stripped back nature of the L though but wondering if the Rally will be a better Travel bike. An before anyone says yep seen itchy boots stuff on it :)

Thanks in advance.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

There is good info on the crf300L and Rally Owners group .. but take note on mpg that US site is quoting on American galls, so they are talking 70 to 75 mpg, (while UK is talking 80 mpg, lower if enthusiastic riding) , .. as US gallon is smaller.

I have found myself that a small increase in sustained throttle causes a big increase in fuel consumption but the option is there for high mpg if careful.

Reading stuff on the 300 my impression is that, having owned the 250 L and 250 Rally .. there is little actual difference between the original 250 L in 2012 and the 2021 300 L and Rally. However, those small improvements are very appreciated,.. and indeed the new comers are spending thousands to gain small improvements in performance, .. 550 ecu seems to have taken over from ejk, and suspension upgrades still seems to be the main upgrades, and most expensive.

For me, if I could have afforded it, I would have gone for the 300 L, as it is 1 inch lower, and lighter than the 300 Rally, .. and lower than the 250 also, but the 250 Rally was mmediately available, in a supply crisis, well over 1000 pounds cheaper, had good size tank, too big is adverse on trails I think, but I plan to do mostly back roads and easy trails so the good fairing was a positive factor, and the Rally looks are great. as well as, reputably, the 300 Rally is better for touring. .. The choice is yours .. but I would certainly recommend any of the crf 250 's for intermediate and beginner and gentle tourist use, as a dual sport machine.

Would I have gone for the 300? .. hell yeah .. go for it if you can afford it, and can afford suspension upgrades etc... but expect a long order wait, atm .
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Thanks Garry really appreciate the reply got to sit on a demo bike of each today very nice bikes really different feels considering they are the same platform :) hopefully gonna grab a test ride soon.

Return to “BIKES”