CRF300 rally?? like

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Re: CRF300 rally?? like

Post by johnnyboxer »

Flipflop wrote:Thanks JB, food for thought indeed.
I thought about converting the WRR to an overland bike but in the end I concluded, rightly or wrongly, that it was just too small for me - the 300 Rally ‘feels’ bigger and more comfortable out of the box, just a YSS shock on the rear (re, Minkyhead) and it’s, more or less, good to go.
T7 is the front runner at the mo.
Whereabouts are you located roughly?

T700 - Compared to the GS Adv it’s a light & more manageable

It’s fine for the Rocky & hardpack trails in Yorkshire I use it on and I am sure it would feel the same in Spain/Alps & Pyrenees on similar twin track trails

Tricky lanes in uk - I take the XR400R
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:48 pm
I thought about converting the WRR to an overland bike but in the end I concluded, rightly or wrongly, that it was just too small for me - the 300 Rally ‘feels’ bigger and more comfortable out of the box, just a YSS shock on the rear (re, Minkyhead) and it’s, more or less, good to go.

It’s fine for the Rocky & hardpack trails in Yorkshire I use it on and I am sure it would feel the same in Spain/Alps & Pyrenees on similar twin track trails

I used to ride in the Peak District on my WRR but moved away and sold it.

I’ve done dry, rocky trails in Europe on a GS but I leave my luggage at the campsite.
My next bike will be for touring the Americas on similar terrain but with all the gear on board so I think a smaller bike would be more appropriate - and a simpler one.
Over the years I have found the low Center of Gravity of the GS easier to ride on this type of terrain than other so called middle weight bikes I have tried - 950 KTM, 800gs, XTZ 660. If the T7 is similar to those I’ll look elsewhere.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Flipflop wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:48 pm

I used to ride in the Peak District on my WRR but moved away and sold it.

I’ve done dry, rocky trails in Europe on a GS but I leave my luggage at the campsite.
My next bike will be for touring the Americas on similar terrain but with all the gear on board so I think a smaller bike would be more appropriate - and a simpler one.
Over the years I have found the low Center of Gravity of the GS easier to ride on this type of terrain than other so called middle weight bikes I have tried - 950 KTM, 800gs, XTZ 660.

If the T7 is similar to those I’ll look elsewhere.
Good review here - chap is only 5’ 7

With money we don't have

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

T7 looks great .. for an expert experienced rider ... but for me? .. could i handle 205 kg on muddy rough stony trails?, let alone pick it up from an awkward position, on my own? .. uhhhh ... I don't think so, at least not easily.

Price-wise. i just seen a DR350 for sale for £2300, probably well worth it too, and i just love the DR engine ... but is it too tall and heavy for me ... yes ... it is, when its laying on some welsh muddy slope! OK so you could get 2 DR's like this for the price of my 250 Rally,.. and also 2x 250 Rallys for the price of a T7 (or 4 DR's ... have I got that right?). So0 personal preferences, budgets and depth of pocket, will decide? ......... but for me, at the moment, the Rally seems to hit the spot. in a reasonable manner.

OK.. a bit heavier and taller than my personal ideal choice, if expense/finance was not a factor .. but reliable (hopefully), nice looking and does the job (hopefully) ... and .... available .. now.

The DR, (if you can find a good one, And get finance??) and older bikes like it, are a lot to maintain, because of their age ... I know, I had 2 DR's. ..But the Rally is fuel injected, and it works all the time, every time, got ABS,, and all nice and new, not just shiny new, but new technology with years ahead of low maintenance use, hopefully. We shall see.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Personally, I think the CRF 250/300s are great bikes - I’ve ridden the 250l and 300 Rally on and off road.
I don’t really take any notice of spec sheets - some bikes are more than the sum of their parts and some are less.

I love the look of the Rallys and I’m sure you’ll enjoy your bike Gary. I know you’re not intending an overland trip but here’s a review for your perusal:
https://www.madornomad.com/honda-crf250-rally-review/

Another recommendation if you like to read travel books is Steph Jeavons - back by seven. She travelled round the world, over 4 years, on an CRF250L - a rip roaring adventure.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:T7 looks great .. for an expert experienced rider ... but for me? .. could i handle 205 kg on muddy rough stony trails?, let alone pick it up from an awkward position, on my own? .. uhhhh ... I don't think so, at least not easily.

Price-wise. i just seen a DR350 for sale for £2300, probably well worth it too, and i just love the DR engine ... but is it too tall and heavy for me ... yes ... it is, when its laying on some welsh muddy slope! OK so you could get 2 DR's like this for the price of my 250 Rally,.. and also 2x 250 Rallys for the price of a T7 (or 4 DR's ... have I got that right?). So0 personal preferences, budgets and depth of pocket, will decide? ......... but for me, at the moment, the Rally seems to hit the spot. in a reasonable manner.

OK.. a bit heavier and taller than my personal ideal choice, if expense/finance was not a factor .. but reliable (hopefully), nice looking and does the job (hopefully) ... and .... available .. now.

The DR, (if you can find a good one, And get finance??) and older bikes like it, are a lot to maintain, because of their age ... I know, I had 2 DR's. ..But the Rally is fuel injected, and it works all the time, every time, got ABS,, and all nice and new, not just shiny new, but new technology with years ahead of low maintenance use, hopefully. We shall see.
The problem is ….price wise you are comparing your 4000 mile 250 Rallye with a new T700 at £9500

A used T700 with 4000 miles will set you back £7-£7.5k - SO only £2.5- £3k more than your used bike

A new Rallye is £6100 and that’s 2/3’s of a new T700

With money we don't have

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yeah, my old head does get a bit demuffled these days ... I was just making the point that my £4,700 Rally is a lot cheaper than the expensive comparators out there. :) 8-) :D

..considering it is `as new`.

new, it would have been £5,300? but the 300 Rally has superseded it just last year? but is £6,100, ....
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

some links to CRF300 rally on the Exeter

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

.. fair play !!! .. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
berin

Post by berin »

johnnyboxer wrote:
garyboy wrote:T7 looks great .. for an expert experienced rider ... but for me? .. could i handle 205 kg on muddy rough stony trails?, let alone pick it up from an awkward position, on my own? .. uhhhh ... I don't think so, at least not easily.

The problem is ….price wise you are comparing your 4000 mile 250 Rallye with a new T700 at £9500

A used T700 with 4000 miles will set you back £7-£7.5k - SO only £2.5- £3k more than your used bike

A new Rallye is £6100 and that’s 2/3’s of a new T700
Mikeyboy on UKGSER has a nice KTM690 enduro for sale at less than £5k, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”