CRF300 rally?? like

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: CRF300 rally?? like

Post by Tonibe63 »

It sounds like you are happy with your choice Gary which is what's important. Good health to enjoy.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Cheers Tony 8-) 8-) 8-)
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

The main thing is for you to be happy with it, my problem is I see a bike I fancy buy it, then 2 months later I fancy something else :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

lancashirelad wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:10 am . . . . . my problem is I see a bike I fancy buy it, then 2 months later I fancy something else :D
Sounds perfectly normal to me :roll: :mrgreen:
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:55 pm
Flipflop wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:44 am You may as well get a Tenere 700 instead of a 300 Rallye

Better in every department and as capable off-road too
Is it as capable off road? Have you ridden both, extensively?
I’ve seen reports of people selling their T7s and going back to smaller bikes because they’re just not as easy to handle off road.
I’d be interested in your thoughts , if you have experience of both.
Cheers
Only experience of T700 and XR400R (plus KTM & Yamaha WR etc in the past)
Yes the T700 is heavier than the CRF - but if you know your trails then the T700 is ok
I bought mine for Pyrenees and Spain and some of the more wide open trail riding where you can cruise the T700 down there in the road and then it’s still perfectly fine on the rocky European trails
Some people do some amazing riding on the T700 and I have been impressed with mine on the Yorkshire trails so far
The T700 is a very versatile smaller Adv bike and that’s why they sell well

Welsh trails

Thanks for your thoughts.
I had a WR250R (in my 50s) for some years but have given up trail riding. I’m looking for an adventure bike for long distance travel that is capable (in my hands) of technical terrain and bad weather should I encounter it - not that I will go looking for it but these things do happen.

I rode the 300 Rally at the ABR festival and thought it just as good (for me) as my WRR on the trail, bearing in mind that I’m a steady Eddie.
The 300 would be good enough for the roads I intend to ride as well, However, if the T7 is as easy to ride on the trails as the Rally than I would choose it for size, comfort and power - after all, you can always ride a more powerful bike slowly but never a non-powerful bike quickly.

I believe you sold your T7 at one point but bought it back - I’d be interested in your reasons, if it’s not to much of a nosy question.

These things are all subjective but I want to get as much info as possible so I make a good choice. I shall do the Tenere experience which should help - I hope.
Cheers once more.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Flipflop wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:55 pm
Flipflop wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:44 am You may as well get a Tenere 700 instead of a 300 Rallye

Better in every department and as capable off-road too
Is it as capable off road? Have you ridden both, extensively?
I’ve seen reports of people selling their T7s and going back to smaller bikes because they’re just not as easy to handle off road.
I’d be interested in your thoughts , if you have experience of both.
Cheers
Only experience of T700 and XR400R (plus KTM & Yamaha WR etc in the past)
Yes the T700 is heavier than the CRF - but if you know your trails then the T700 is ok
I bought mine for Pyrenees and Spain and some of the more wide open trail riding where you can cruise the T700 down there in the road and then it’s still perfectly fine on the rocky European trails
Some people do some amazing riding on the T700 and I have been impressed with mine on the Yorkshire trails so far
The T700 is a very versatile smaller Adv bike and that’s why they sell well

Welsh trails

Thanks for your thoughts.
I had a WR250R (in my 50s) for some years but have given up trail riding. I’m looking for an adventure bike for long distance travel that is capable (in my hands) of technical terrain and bad weather should I encounter it - not that I will go looking for it but these things do happen.

I rode the 300 Rally at the ABR festival and thought it just as good (for me) as my WRR on the trail, bearing in mind that I’m a steady Eddie.
The 300 would be good enough for the roads I intend to ride as well, However, if the T7 is as easy to ride on the trails as the Rally than I would choose it for size, comfort and power - after all, you can always ride a more powerful bike slowly but never a non-powerful bike quickly.

I believe you sold your T7 at one point but bought it back - I’d be interested in your reasons, if it’s not to much of a nosy question.

These things are all subjective but I want to get as much info as possible so I make a good choice. I shall do the Tenere experience which should help - I hope.
Cheers once more.
I did sell it last August for 3 weeks (new owner added a load of goodies, in the 3 weeks)
I thought I would revert back to a pukka enduro bike again, but realised I missed the T700 (and the XR400R I have is fine for technical trails and better on the road than an enduro scalpel) so set about looking for another and the chap I sold it too, said I could have it back
Like you I wanted something that I can do a 200 mile day or 2000 mile euro tour on backroads and solid, rocky trails and the T700 fits the bill
I will upgrade the suspension this year to Rallye Raid more than likely and she will be perfect for me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

As I've mentioned before I've ridden my WR250R to Bulgaria and back(4k miles)--camping all the way and trail riding when I was there for two weeks. Its also done a similar trip to the Dordogne and been excellent on the river valley trails. It has a bigger tank and seat concepts seat and is quite capable of 60- 70 mph cruising and 200 mile plus days. It does mean that my pace is slower than on a 700 but that makes you take roads less travelled and visit small towns on the way etc. It has about 22k on the clock at the moment and has a 200 mile range. Suspension is well sorted and I can mess with the gearing as required. It was designed as a TRAIL bike, even with pillion footrests (strong rear subframe), and has a 20k or so valve check interval. Shame they are not sold in the UK now--Euro regs etc--but have a vast following in the US with plenty of farkles if you want them. My point is also that it was purchased secondhand (ex Scottish police--in white!), and was about half the price of what the rally is now--and 1/4 price of a T700. If I want to do long road oriented trips then I have a good old 600 Transalp--and that is more than capable of gentle trails. The 300 rally fits the bill for most "normal" people and is selling very well in the world market just like the 250. I would consider one if I didn't already have the slightly better yam.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

catcitrus wrote:As I've mentioned before I've ridden my WR250R to Bulgaria and back(4k miles)--camping all the way and trail riding when I was there for two weeks. Its also done a similar trip to the Dordogne and been excellent on the river valley trails. It has a bigger tank and seat concepts seat and is quite capable of 60- 70 mph cruising and 200 mile plus days. It does mean that my pace is slower than on a 700 but that makes you take roads less travelled and visit small towns on the way etc. It has about 22k on the clock at the moment and has a 200 mile range. Suspension is well sorted and I can mess with the gearing as required. It was designed as a TRAIL bike, even with pillion footrests (strong rear subframe), and has a 20k or so valve check interval. Shame they are not sold in the UK now--Euro regs etc--but have a vast following in the US with plenty of farkles if you want them. My point is also that it was purchased secondhand (ex Scottish police--in white!), and was about half the price of what the rally is now--and 1/4 price of a T700. If I want to do long road oriented trips then I have a good old 600 Transalp--and that is more than capable of gentle trails. The 300 rally fits the bill for most "normal" people and is selling very well in the world market just like the 250. I would consider one if I didn't already have the slightly better yam.
Is your WR250R, better than your KTM 640 Adv?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Ref your question on the 640A versus the WR250R. Basically I never used the 640A for serious offroad as I'm short, quite old, and by the time I had my foot down I was already off it. It went to Romania a couple of times, all around Europe, to the start of the proper Dakar in Lisbon etc--a great bike. However, I decided that I needed a more road oriented bike having done 40k plus on the 640A--and swapped it for a Mk 2 1050 Triumph Tiger. Big mistake--handling was poor despite Hyperpro kit. It was heavy(very top heavy) and a PITA to wheel around. The motor was good but thats about it. It got written off by a cage driver doing a U turn without looking--I walked away--just! I replaced it with a much older 600 transalp--actually better handling, much lighter and lower seat---great bike and motor. It won't set the world alight and the brakes are not as good but its so relaxing to ride--progress!!!!????. Anyway, the WR suits me much better than the 640A--for me its much more offroad capable as its lower and lighter, and will carry luggage well(decent US pannier frames)--its had a rear shock rebuild with Race Tech innards and springs front and rear have been changed to Japanese Technix --softer. It now has a Scotts steering damper as I hate ruts, and I'm getting a bit arthritic so am soft on my grip--keeps it tracking nicely. Also the build quality is superb---it was relatively very expensive when sold here----The only real trouble I've had with it is south of Pamplona in 40C plus when the fuel pump got too hot and seized. You had to wait for it to cool down or throw water over the tank. Replaced with a 25 quid aftermarket generic unit which has been fine so far--a bit noisier (probably slacker tolerances)--but no bad thing when it keeps working. Its NOT like KTMs which have fussy injector and filter problems--it always works. It has a good 350W alternator--and will actually bump start on a flat battery--not bad for fuel injected.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Thanks JB, food for thought indeed.
I thought about converting the WRR to an overland bike but in the end I concluded, rightly or wrongly, that it was just too small for me - the 300 Rally ‘feels’ bigger and more comfortable out of the box, just a YSS shock on the rear (re, Minkyhead) and it’s, more or less, good to go.
T7 is the front runner at the mo.
👍

Return to “BIKES”