NEC Bikeshow 2021

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: NEC Bikeshow 2021

Post by Tonibe63 »

We got there for the 10am opening today (Monday) and there was queues for the Covid check and also at the Hall entrances. Once inside the initial rush soon cleared and access to sit on bikes was great without having to wait more than half a minute or so. I saw a video that was filmed at the weekend and kids were all over the bikes but today at was quiet in comparison.
Highlight for my Wife was the Triumph Trident 660 which could replace her 2015 MT07, for me there was nothing that really grabbed me although the Chinese are coming with their keenly priced 500/650cc bikes and the quality looked good (the Voge, CF moto and Lexmoto). Dissappointments were the lack of Moto Guzzi and Yamaha, most of the Euro/Jap stuff was very same old same old, the Indian FTR was very uncomfortable and less than 10% of people wore face masks.
All in all it was worth the visit but as usual ......... once every few years is enough.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

What a shame. It used to be such a big event. I built it into my biking year the same as the Bol D'Or, GP races and Assen WSB. Ally Pally too.
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

I went over the weekend and thought it was pretty good

It was always going to be smaller than other years. I've had a stand in the past and a lot of the small companies will have been fearful of losing a chunk of money had it been cancelled or a wash out. I know I was and there were definitely less of the fringe stands there.

It was just good to get out, sit on some bikes and have an excuse for not being miserable at home.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

It was the small companies I used to really enjoy many years ago, whether it was a tour company or an engineering one.

Going there on Thursday with a mate who's only just started biking and never been before so I know he'll enjoy it.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

I'd imagine a lot will return next year when hopefully things have calmed down a bit.
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I was there at 10.00am this morning (Tuesday) and there was very little delay getting in, other than people fiddling about to get wrist bands on at the Covid check in.

It was pretty well attended without being packed, so you could see all the bikes and get a few photos, except the BSA stand that was packed every time I visited with gentlemen of a certain age. I did get a sit on the Gold Star, it felt good and very old skool, but no photos as every bike had a little gathering of people around it.

The new DOT is a Marmite bike, very much a CCM competitor but with some erm 'interesting' frame colours.

I saw everything I wanted, had a few chats with people, sat on some bikes I liked, and some I didn't and bumped into MotoBob for a natter, I am a fan of his YouTube channels so that was pretty cool, and I was back in my car by lunchtime.

I could have gone round a couple more times and there were a number of bigger stands I didn't visit as I have no real interest in the bikes, but overall I enjoyed the show.

Worth the trip? I'd say so. Will I go again next year? I doubt it.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I went on Wednesday. It was very good, although probably 80% of the usual number of exhibitors and slightly smaller stands than in previous years. It was busy in the morning but quieter in the afternoon. I thought the Triumph range was impressive and also liked the Norton pre-production models. The BSA Goldstar got a lot of attention and looks good, if that's your sort of bike. Honda had a 'road legal' superbike RCV213v-s on their stand which the salesman reckoned was probably worth £250k, so that was nice to see. It was a shame that Yamaha weren't there, plus Aprilia and Moto Guzzi were absent but other than that there were a lot of bikes to see and sit on. Most of the bigger engine capacity adventure bikes like the Honda NT1100 and Ducati Multistrada V4 do seem to be getting physically bigger and I did notice their bulk when I sat on them but then again they all have a lot of bodywork so maybe it's just an illusion. We also noticed the increase in Chinese manufacturers and electric bikes, some of which look very good but I've no idea if they are in reality. Overall, it was well worth going.

One word about the Covid entry procedure, if anyone is concerned about that - it was slack. You are asked to show your covid QR pass on either a phone or a printed copy but they just took a quick glance at it and didn't scan it. That extra procedure took less than 3 seconds.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
GazC

Post by GazC »

Well, I took my life in my hands yesterday and visited the NEC and agree pretty much with the previous posts. The COVID pass check didn’t cause any delays, I got the feeling folk had turned up a bit earlier just in case. It got busier as the morning went on but not too bad. I made a point of going straight to the Triumph stand, a good move as it was pretty full all day. The Honda stand got really busy too, had to wait to get on the CRF300’s, which I really liked. They must have soft suspension as I could get a foot on the deck ! The KTM stand appeared quiet in comparison. I didn’t find the 390 Adventure too tall either. Something to think about there….
Bike prices seem to be going ever higher so it’s probably no wonder Enfield are doing so well, their stand being well worth a visit. Nice to see the new BSA too. Not a bad day out, plenty to see but a bit less than previous years. As usual, I forgot a couple of stands I wanted to visit, remembered them on the way home !

Return to “BIKES”