triumph and breitling

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: triumph and breitling

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

A 'luxury' watch has to be the biggest waste of money going...your mobile phone keeps better time.
I once got a 'posh' watch as a gift. It stopped working after a couple of years. Apparently, I should have had it 'serviced' every year...for £80! It wasn't even a clockwork one.
It's sitting in a drawer now...unused.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:06 am A 'luxury' watch has to be the biggest waste of money going...your mobile phone keeps better time.
I once got a 'posh' watch as a gift. It stopped working after a couple of years. Apparently, I should have had it 'serviced' every year...for £80! It wasn't even a clockwork one.
It's sitting in a drawer now...unused.
:lol: Sore point in our house. When I was touring Europe by bike with a mate in about 2002, we went through Andorra on our way back to France from the Catalunyan MotoGP. Tracie had said that if we happened to go to Andorra that she would like to treat herself to a Rolex and maybe I could get one tax free in Andorra. It had just rained when John and I arrived at the ultra-posh bond street-style jewelers Bulgari in Andorra de la Vella. So we shuffled up to the door in black waterproofs on top of leathers, helmets gloves etc dripping wet - looking a lot like we were about to mount a heist. The security guard was great and we were let in, leaving a trail of water on the pristine marble floor. The charming sales assistant pulled out a huge drawer with maybe 100k's worth of watches in it so I could identify the 'Lady's Champagne Oyster Perpetual Bollocks' or whatever it was called. Saved 600 Euros over list for buying in Andorra, which was nice but it was pretty painful to shell out 3 grand for a watch. I smuggled it out through the customs shed in its little pouch down my kecks. Anyway, sorry, cut long story short...

That watch has needed three expensive Rolex services, probably loses an hour a month, always seems to have something wrong with it and Tracie daren't wear the thing in a city. It's ridiculous. The only saving grace was she had it valued last time it was serviced and it's now worth 4500 Euros... It's a crazy old world.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Emperor's new clothes.
And, as you say, asking for trouble to wear it 'out' anyway.

A mate of a mate was out jogging in Milton Keynes and was stopped in an underpass by a group of yoofs.

"Gi us your stuff!"

"Well, what would you like? My old adidas running shoes, or my old aldi shorts and vest? Why don't you just piss off home before I thump you?"

and, grumbling, they did.

I'm unlikely to get mugged, and I don't think anyone would want my Microsoft phone anyway.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Marketing, convince those with enough disposable income that they need your overpriced fashion over function products. :| :roll:
Richard Simpson Mark II

"Rattling the stick in the swill-bucket" as George Orwell said (he kept pigs).
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I bought a Rolex about 9 years ago. Best watch I have ever had.
Wear it everyday, even when going to work offshore. Never had a problem with it and it is now worth
about 2.5 times what I paid for it.
Yes, expensive to buy, but nothing I have ever bought (including financial saving plans :roll: ) Have given
such a potential return on the first investment sum.
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

So who does own a expensive watch let’s see them
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

v8mark wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:38 pm So who does own a expensive watch let’s see them
Define expensive?

I had a Breitling that I won at a shooting competition, it sat in its box for a few years then I sold it, as I wasn't going to wear it.

In the end, even if going somewhere posh it just felt like I would be showing off.

I wear a Seiko Kinetic, plain white dial, never needs winding, keeps perfect time and has never let me down. Looks good in the pub or a posh restaurant.

I'm not against expensive watches, we all have vices, this just isn't one of mine.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Image20210817_022105 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

this is my most expensive watch.

.. its a nuclear fusion powered, hydrogen regenerative, with plank constant timing, modulated by emotional quantum solace engineering.

It is attached to my Emtb via neuron-free carbon testicles, and is empathic in a caring way, increasing the readouts of speed (transmuted telepathically to the Halford's magneto-sphere bio-screen) to suit my frame of mind at the time of leg pulling the zero gravity pedals .. :D

It is disguised as a cheap £1.99 watch, as it has no defense against theft ... such is its empathic power, which cannot be over-ridden.

As I ride the highways and byways, most of my time is taken by pondering the ethical and practical use of such an empathic time piece. This means i get there a hell of a lot quicker ... so the vastly expensive gadget does really help me go faster.

Time really does fly .. even more so at sea level.
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

£100 and upwards is expensive my first expensive watch was the same. Sieko kinetic divers watch at £325

Return to “BIKES”