Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019 + Fun 'n Games in 2020

The Things We Ride
Brenhden
Posts: 5869
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 886 times
Been thanked: 586 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Brenhden » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Great cliff hanger!

In the second photo the cable is absent, is it routed properly or was it just a loose bit of cable they forgot to bin?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
bill_qaz
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm
Has thanked: 444 times
Been thanked: 665 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by bill_qaz » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Oh the joy of inheriting someone else's F ups :roll:

Nico-D
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 am
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 332 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Nico-D » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Brenhden wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm

In the second photo the cable is absent, is it routed properly or was it just a loose bit of cable they forgot to bin?
Can't really tell in the photo but I think it passes behind the coils ( out of harms way ) and exits the casing alongside the other one.

I recently sold off a load of DRZ bits including the stator in case you were thinking I'm some sort of ubergeek for knowing that. :lol:

Thedktor
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Thedktor » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Brenhden wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm


In the second photo the cable is absent, is it routed properly or was it just a loose bit of cable they forgot to bin?
Good question from the gentleman at the back.

Yes it goes underneath the coils, held down each end by clamps:
20190817_115727a.jpg
20190817_115727a.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 357 times
- Steve



Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

User avatar
zimtim
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am
Has thanked: 584 times
Been thanked: 512 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by zimtim » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:10 am

Nice one Steve
That DR350 you sold medeveloped an issue with starter switch that would stick every now and then.
Found that the small catch that the spring sat on to help return the button had worn so not no caontact could be made to then start the bike needed to get a whole new switch in the end. sorted out no problem
Maybe a similar issue with kill switch???

Brenhden
Posts: 5869
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 886 times
Been thanked: 586 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Brenhden » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:46 am

zimtim wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:10 am
Nice one Steve
That DR350 you sold medeveloped an issue with starter switch that would stick every now and then.
Found that the small catch that the spring sat on to help return the button had worn so not no caontact could be made to then start the bike needed to get a whole new switch in the end. sorted out no problem
Maybe a similar issue with kill switch???
I had similar with a kill switch on my DR350, I had a DR125 doner bike so swapped it out. I always felt really sorry for that doner bike...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Thedktor
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Thedktor » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:02 am

Where was I, oh, yes doing daft things on a bike. It's late December 2019 on a byway near Tidworth and I'm coming up to a ford crossing. Now I'm pretty careful when it comes to water as I really have better things to do than sort out a drowned bike, so proceed with some caution.

The depth marker shows 2 feet, which should be fine then yeah? Erm, well! - as I plough in I realise that whoever put the marker in must have been on the p*ss as the water is now up to the fuel tank! :shock: :shock:

Do I hit the kill switch, or will it make it before water gets sucked in - what a dilemma! But the bike makes the decision for me and splutters to a halt, right in the middle.

Oh. :? :o

Jump off and quickly push the bike out of the crotch deep water, and after emptying my boots out am quite relieved on this cold December day to find only a tiny dribble of water had got past my w/p trousers and gortex socks, great!

I was reasonably confident the bike hadn't taken in water and a quick check of the airfilter confirmed this, but there was no sign of life when spinning the starter. Drained the carb, and no water there, so off with the seat and tank to check the spark.
20191215_105502.jpg
20191215_105502.jpg (155.9 KiB) Viewed 263 times
Not surprisingly the top of the engine was very wet, and the spark plug hole was full of water! Ah, I guess that would be it then, and after drying out the cap and plug the bike fired up easily much to my relief. Of course, there is a drain hole for the spark plug but it won't cope with a deluge...

Subsequent analysis pin-pointed the rubber seal at the top of the plug cap, put there to stop water getting in, had shrunk with age and was no longer stopping water getting in!
20191215_105434.jpg
20191215_105434.jpg (123.45 KiB) Viewed 263 times
As I'm putting my gear back on with the engine running I don't notice a group of riders approaching and two are already heading into the water as I wave at them to stop! Too late and both bikes conk out in the middle, oops. I check they have tools and leave them too it while their mates plan another route round to join them...
20191215_111317.jpg
20191215_111317.jpg (133.07 KiB) Viewed 263 times

The DRZ has been used a lot since then, and as I'm here I may as well share another story, when something else brought the bike to a halt. Well. it was actually the opposite!
- Steve



Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

Brenhden
Posts: 5869
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 886 times
Been thanked: 586 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Brenhden » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am

Thedktor wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:02 am
Where was I, oh, yes doing daft things on a bike. It's late December 2019 on a byway near Tidworth and I'm coming up to a ford crossing. Now I'm pretty careful when it comes to water as I really have better things to do than sort out a drowned bike, so proceed with some caution.

The depth marker shows 2 feet, which should be fine then yeah? Erm, well! - as I plough in I realise that whoever put the marker in must have been on the p*ss as the water is now up to the fuel tank! :shock: :shock:

Do I hit the kill switch, or will it make it before water gets sucked in - what a dilemma! But the bike makes the decision for me and splutters to a halt, right in the middle.

Oh. :? :o

Jump off and quickly push the bike out of the crotch deep water, and after emptying my boots out am quite relieved on this cold December day to find only a tiny dribble of water had got past my w/p trousers and gortex socks, great!

I was reasonably confident the bike hadn't taken in water and a quick check of the airfilter confirmed this, but there was no sign of life when spinning the starter. Drained the carb, and no water there, so off with the seat and tank to check the spark.

20191215_105502.jpg

Not surprisingly the top of the engine was very wet, and the spark plug hole was full of water! Ah, I guess that would be it then, and after drying out the cap and plug the bike fired up easily much to my relief. Of course, there is a drain hole for the spark plug but it won't cope with a deluge...

Subsequent analysis pin-pointed the rubber seal at the top of the plug cap, put there to stop water getting in, had shrunk with age and was no longer stopping water getting in!

20191215_105434.jpg

As I'm putting my gear back on with the engine running I don't notice a group of riders approaching and two are already heading into the water as I wave at them to stop! Too late and both bikes conk out in the middle, oops. I check they have tools and leave them too it while their mates plan another route round to join them...

20191215_111317.jpg


The DRZ has been used a lot since then, and as I'm here I may as well share another story, when something else brought the bike to a halt. Well. it was actually the opposite!
Great stuff, I can see a flask in your photo, I bet that was welcome after the swim. I've only just become a member of thermos carrying gang and I will certainly never go back to the bad old days. :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Honda CRF250 Rally.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

Thedktor
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by Thedktor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:34 am

Ha yeah always nice to have a hot brew. I use my flask every weekend and was pondering how long I've had this one. Well, here is a picture from 20 years ago - same flask! Not sure if the ones these days would last as long...

2000 img098 - Copy.jpg
2000 img098 - Copy.jpg (129.21 KiB) Viewed 205 times
- Steve



Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701

User avatar
boboneleg
Posts: 4970
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm
Has thanked: 1827 times
Been thanked: 1052 times

Re: Work Case #21 DRZ400 in 2019

Post by boboneleg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:56 am

Excellent story and I good recovery :mrgreen:

You can't beat carrying a flask with you. Mine gets plenty of use, can you see it ?
IMG_7243.JPEG
IMG_7243.JPEG (174.41 KiB) Viewed 186 times
one-legged adventurer

Post Reply

Return to β€œBIKES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 294 guests