Honda CB500 slipper clutch issue?

The Things We Ride
Slowboy

Honda CB500 slipper clutch issue?

Post by Slowboy »

I’m asking this of a friend of mine whose getting a bit worried about his new CB500X with the slipper clutch. He was out riding a week or so ago and his clutch action got worse and worse until the cable went slack and the clutch would not engage, needing a truck ride home with the bike. 7 hours later (overnight) the clutch was functioning again.
when taking the bike to the dealers, it started playing up again, but by the time he got there it seemed to be fine. Both times it was raining, although this may be entirely irrelevant.
The dealer could find no problem, he is now concerned about the bike leaving him stranded again.
My initial thoughts are that it’s possible a tolerances issue either with the operating lever and the hole on the clutch cover it runs in partially seizing due to heat, lack of lube or poor tolerancing.
I also wonder whether it’s a clutch plate partially distorted which is causing snagging on the slipper teeth on the clutch drum or even that the drum and clutch plates have not been sufficiently de-burred.
We have another report from another CB500X rider of the clutch going “a bit soft” but recovering later.
Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone got a fix or any other suggestions
Thanks in advance
Brian
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
Oop North John

Re: Honda CB500 slipper clutch issue?

Post by Oop North John »

Have they checked that both ends of the cables are seated properly, and the cable free play is correct?

There is a CB500x forum: https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/board,1.0.html and also a group on Facebook where they might get more detailed opinions:

Slowboy

Re: Honda CB500 slipper clutch issue?

Post by Slowboy »

Thanks John. From my asking around a number of owners that I know, it looks like this is a one off issue. The chap who owns the bike is by his own admission not mechanical and I’m trying to help at a distance. We know it’s not the clutch cable or bar lever. We think the lever/bar in the clutch housing is snagging when it gets hot, might be tightening up because one bit is top of tolerance, the other bit (the hole) is bottom of tolerance. Men with tools are on the case :D
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub

Return to “BIKES”