KTM 390 Adventure thread. Reviews mods etc

The Things We Ride
Bikebackpacker

KTM 390 Adventure thread. Reviews mods etc

Post by Bikebackpacker »

Hi... Thinking about buying and looking for current owners views.. Screens, risers, spokes, luggage, two-up etc...
nathanm

Re: KTM 390 Adventure thread. Reviews mods etc

Post by nathanm »

Not sure if it's of interest but I've got one on the fleet down here in North Devon to ride alongside some of the other small adv bikes...

https://www.nathanmillward.com/north-de ... xperiences

Universally people seem to be struggling with the 390 off road. It's just too cramped. You're going to have to fix/amend the riding position for off road, although on road it's a blast.

From what I've seen the KTM luggage is a touch pricey although one dealer was doing them free with the bike.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

nathanm wrote: ↑Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 pm
Universally people seem to be struggling with the 390 off road. It's just too cramped. You're going to have to fix/amend the riding position for off road,

FortNine came to the same conclusion in this review;

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yeah I saw that vid. It's such an obvious flaw I'm amazed KTM let it out like that. It's clearly got no grounding as an off road machine in the western market sense of the word where we stand up. For developing markets where they sit down much more then it'll make better sense. But it seems like a missed opportunity but looking at it I'd say that the limitations of the Duke chassis has meant the pegs sit up too high. If you could lower them an inch it'd be much better.
dave h

Post by dave h »

ive been lookimg again at these,
i dismissed them at first for the ally wheels my 1050 had 4 dings in them from 1 trip to spain,
you can get a new one now for Β£4600 makes em good value for what you get
a nice review here,

dave.
Lexinoo

Post by Lexinoo »

πŸ‘ That review has made me want one.
Bikebackpacker

Post by Bikebackpacker »

Thanks for the links guys...
Might be cooking up a longer term plan to fly to India (once covid is behind us), buy there and ride back to the UK...they are about Β£3K new there, so remaining Β£2 is for mods and the adventure homeward. πŸ‘
If anyone else is interested in the concept let me know (Nathan has already done that route of course πŸ˜‰)
Mark ([email protected])
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Sound like a cunning plan. In fact so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel..

What's involved? Will you need carnets to enter and leave the various countries en route, especially with a brand new vehicle?

Would you go Pakistan / Iran / Turkey? Or over the top of the Caspian Sea? I'd really fancy Nepal / Tibet / China / Kyrgyzstan / Kazakhstan / Ukraine - that would be awesome. But lots of border and safety issues to consider either way...

Let us know how the planning goes. It's a great idea.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Bikebackpacker wrote: ↑Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am Thanks for the links guys...
Might be cooking up a longer term plan to fly to India (once covid is behind us), buy there and ride back to the UK...they are about Β£3K new there, so remaining Β£2 is for mods and the adventure homeward. πŸ‘
If anyone else is interested in the concept let me know (Nathan has already done that route of course πŸ˜‰)
Mark ([email protected])
There are complications about buying a bike in India.
I follow "Itchy Boots" on YouTube. The Royal Enfield she bought had to be bought in the name of a local. Her India, Malaysia, Oman, Iran, through to 'stans into Europe are documented in her videos.

She had so many complications when she got it back to Holland that she found it impossible to register. It was eventually bought by Enfield in Holland for use in shows.

https://www.itchyboots.com/bikers-guide ... o-malaysia

You would need to do your research.

tom

edit: Here's the video explaining her Dutch registration problems.

tom
Last edited by Sanqhar on Sat May 08, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Sanqhar wrote: ↑Sat May 08, 2021 10:50 am
Bikebackpacker wrote: ↑Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am Thanks for the links guys...
Mark ([email protected])
There are complications about buying a bike in India.
I follow "Itchy Boots" on YouTube. The Royal Enfield she bought had to be bought in the name of a local. Her India, Malaysia, Oman, Iran, through to 'stans into Europe are documented in her videos.

She had so many complications when she got it back to Holland that she found it impossible to register. It was eventually bought by Enfield in Holland for use in shows.

https://www.itchyboots.com/bikers-guide ... o-malaysia

You would need to do your research.

tom
An exciting plan but like Tom said there could be problems when you get it back here. I know Jacqui Furneaux did it with an Enfield Bullit but not sure if hers was ok to import due to the old emmisions regs or old import regs? Be interesting if we could find out.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to β€œBIKES”