KLX 250 ???

The Things We Ride
lancashirelad

KLX 250 ???

Post by lancashirelad »

I’ve sold the cb500x after not using it all year I convinced myself I was giving up bikes or maybe I’d get a twin shock trials bike & ride with the classic trials club I’m chairman of then someone offered me this KLX out of the blue I’d like to do some not to technical green lanes similar to Salter Fell just wondering if this would be suitable also a bit of pottering around the dales, it’s a 2017 with 400/500 miles on the clock!! Trouble is I bought a Serow 250 a few years ago & didn’t seem to get on with it wondering if this would be similar??
7CF15F6D-855C-4D0F-8253-589C9FD8B4C6.jpeg
7CF15F6D-855C-4D0F-8253-589C9FD8B4C6.jpeg (260.65 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
johnnyboxer

Re: KLX 250 ???

Post by johnnyboxer »

A few mates have them
They love them
One came from a 300 Beta X Trainer and the other a KTM250 EXC
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Not heard anything bad about them, apart from the nonsense you see in the press about them not being powerful enough.

Truth is they are an enduro-based trail bike, unlike the current Honda 250 which is a road-based trail bike.

You get better suspension than the Honda. There is a secret switch under the clutch lever...pull the wires out and you get full power! You can get even more power by fitting parts from the predecessor KLX300, which was a proper enduro bike, if that's what you want.

they didn't sell well in the UK because Bike magazine said they were much slower than a fireblade, or something equally silly.

They got a glowing review from TBM, who took one trail riding (a novel concept in the UK press at the time). Different to a Serow, in that the riding position/experience is 'Enduro', where the Serow is 'Trials'. Lovely and quiet with the standard pipe, too. They are heavy though, if compared to a KTM EXC or similar, but then a Toyota HiLux is heavy compared to a rally car.

I nearly bought one, once. Got a Husky TE610E instead. Silly me!
Last edited by Richard Simpson Mark II on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Nice looking bike that!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings, a friend had one but part exchanged it for a CCM. I rode it a couple of times and thought it was brilliant, taller and heavier than my Serow but excellent trail bike.

I might have bought one but so few come on to the market. If you don't want to keep it would you let me know please. My only concern was the effort to pull the clutch didn't feel much lighter than the Serow.

TTFN

Hugh
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

In that picture it has a Sargent seat fitted which would be extra there’s also some other new bits n bobs he has that would be extra I do like adding extras to my bikes :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I owned a Kawasaki KLX300R and it was a very easy and forgiving bike to ride. It took a fair bit of modding to get legal for the road and of course was only kickstart. The KLX250 is a bike i often considered with better suspension than the Honda CRF250L,all the modern stuff like fuel injection,road legal lighting,electric start etc. I think it would make an ideal trail bike that would give you more power,suspension travel and a better fit if you are a taller rider than the Serrow. I don,t think Kawasaki sold huge numbers of them so like the earlier carbed KLX there are very few aftermarket parts. I would certainly buy one.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Must admit I’ve been toying with one of these or a CRF250 to have something to potter about on. I was surprised they'd stopped importing the KLX. While I do like Enduro bikes I get fed up with changing the oil every 20 minutes.

There is not a lot of choice for “trail” bikes now!

Pete
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Me and a mate bought these when we first started off roading in 2012. Great starter bike or for easy trails but once I got the bug I soon wanted bigger and better endure type bikes! the ground clearance is not very good and at 16stone the top speed on a motorway is 70mph pinned downhill! but if doing easy stuff and no motorways id say they are a good bike and as said better suspension than a crf stock! get one I think you'll like it for what you plan to do
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i ran one for a while and overall i liked it ...im a fairly big guy and id say it was a little too small for me ..the rear suspension is ok ..the front is hard valved and not particularly good at all on rocky stuff ..youll find it pretty nervouse on salter fell thats the the type of surface it s ptetty poor on . repeat lowish speed hits ...
alittle bit slow to get going meaning it really only wakes up higher up .. they all rev of course but you really have to cane the klx to get it stirred up ..it had very very nice brakes strong with good feel exelent
ground clearance in ruts is pretty interesting .. light and very easy to manage i had a idea to get a 351 kit and do it that way but the kits have never come out for the efi version .....
only problem i had was a weak sidestand bracket ..easily welded
for what you want it will do it with ease it will actually do some pretty knarly trails quite well very good fueling not easy to stall ..worth a try can soon sell it on if u dont like it ...problem now is some are asking silly money for em

nice basic bike overall

Last edited by minkyhead on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”