Huskie 701 LR

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Huskie 701 LR

Post by daveuprite »

I only just came across this bike. Didn't know it existed. Could be the perfect off-road biased RTW bike.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/2020-husqvarn ... duro%20LR.
bowber

Re: Huskie 701 LR

Post by bowber »

I've not seen one in the flesh but they look a bit of a whale on photos, plent being sold though.

Steve
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I'm not a Long distance rider so a genuine question.......are there really that many distance riders that take in a lot of off road in places where fuel is that far spaced?, I would imagine very few do that sort of riding...anyone here who would buy one?

On the other hand, even my meagre milage has left me wishing I had a few more litres now and again, I'm considering a knock-off rotopax on the rack
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

well I wouldn't ever consider myself an expert, (and dont even have a trail bike atm) .. more a slow doddery oap .. talentless but with determination, lol .. and not in the distance league like Bob or Minky , .. but until just a year ago i used to do a lot of mid wales trails, on me own, that often went well over 200 miles, starting from home. That was on the crf250L and i found it getting heavier and slower, as, gradually i changed to more extreme tyres that limited tarmac speed, if yoo wanted to last the tyres out, for economy, Also the gearing became lower and lower, and the bike lost its `dual` status and became a real drudge on tarmac. I decided that, perhaps after all, I should head for the Van/Enduro lightweight option, especially after a long knackering day with a cold wet 100 mile return on tarmac, doh. .. (Only the cost of van and new bike stops me lol).

The 701 LR could be good for those who can handle a big bike... and in fact it is not far off the weight of the crf250L, or the weight of my previous TTR600 ..145-165 kg .. but for a short ass like me the seat height would be a stopper, and also, that bike seems hugely (over?) powered? .. and for a mid ability rider, could be limited to tarmac plus fire roads and gravelly or easy trails .. But for the (sickeningly awesome) talented rider i guess it would be a fantastically great bike.

Fuelling ... tbh I never ran out of petrol, though it came close many times .. and I stopped taking a 1 litre spare supply when i realised that, with a bit of planning, in places you know, there is always a petrol station within reach ..... like in Rhyader, Cross Gates, Llandrindod Wells, Llanbadarn, Beula, Brechfa?, Camarthen, etc etc etc. ... BUT if i won the lottery ( I need to buy a ticket, probably? lol) I would get a brand new shiny one,, immediately. :D
bowber

Post by bowber »

On the standard 701 you can easily do 120-130 trail riding miles and have 3+ltrs left, road only I generally fill up at 150-160 miles and the warning light isn't on (yes I'm very light on the throttle). For most of Europe that's plenty, once you're out of these areas I'd guess having the ability to travel 300+ miles may come in handy.

I was getting a bit nervous in the Highlands of Scotland when I first got mine, 170 miles and we still hasn't found fuel, we eventually came across a little garage and when I filled up I calculated I'd been doing over 75mpg, so with 3 gallons I had a bit to spare.

Steve
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Well you would know I suppose Steve. There can't be all that many people who have ridden a 701 as far as you have.

It's the old classic RTW routes that would see the benefits of all that fuel capacity I suppose. Trans-Sahara. Trans-Mongolia etc etc. But I bet you'd be glad to get to half full to get that extra weight off.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

I sat on one at fowl ups and its ma hoosive, the fuel tank doubles up as radiator guards and will be bloody costly if it goes down, salesman there said approx £800 for a fuel tank and look incredibly weak and very wide.
At 180kgs wet for a uncomfortable single is not gonna do it for me
Cone

Post by Cone »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm I sat on one at fowl ups and its ma hoosive, the fuel tank doubles up as radiator guards and will be bloody costly if it goes down, salesman there said approx £800 for a fuel tank and look incredibly weak and very wide.
At 180kgs wet for a uncomfortable single is not gonna do it for me

Agree entirely the kit to fit to the bike is 1750 quid. On my 701 I have a 300 quid rade tank which gives me 240 miles to reserve tank on road then I've still got 3 ltrs left.

Too big too ugly and too expensive. Albeit I've seen some people very happy with the bike but they seem to do long gravel road trips.

Return to “BIKES”