Maxi-Scooter's - Go Big and Ride Big

The Things We Ride
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Maxi-Scooter's - Go Big and Ride Big

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

My 1250RS was in for a service yesterday in Dalkieth (nr Edinburgh). A few thoughts....

My loan bike was a C400 (no idea what model), I was a bit annoyed as I was promised a G310GS, which I wanted to ride.

It was OK, but handling takes a bit of getting used to especially over bumps and overbanding.

Riding position a bit cramped elbows very near to stomach.

Not as frugal as they make out, though i was giving it a bit as I was working in Glasgow so was trying to get back ASAP. 100 miles for £10.00 of fuel.

Stable at speed, it indicated 93mph at one point, (but I can only presume the speedo was faulty by 23mph...)

Acceleration was funny, it just seems to gather speed rather than accelerate, which is disconcerting on the motorway, when overtaking.

Don't know if two lever bicycle type brakes are standard on these, but I thought it odd as no feel from the rear, I was expecting a single lever linked system, though can't say why.

If you commute within a city or a few miles it would be great, but not convinced for motorway or distance.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Admittedly Scooter's have a tendency for the ride to be a little choppy at the rear end due to their small wheels, and won't turn in as fast as a normal motorcycle etc...

But if you can get passed these small issues they're a brilliant means of Twist n' Go automatic pleasure.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
The dogs

Post by The dogs »

Honda seemed to have got it pretty right when it comes to twist un go especially with their DCT versions. Pick up a 750 DCT and get a load more with it. Not had one myself but know the tech and spot on it is too for a scoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Out today a run on the big (fast) comfy armchair.

Beautiful weather at last in Central Scotland today, had a brilliant sixty five mile ride out this afternoon, my route was this;
Doune - Aberfoyle - Dukes Pass - Callander - Doune - Bridge Of Allan......home.

ImageWeak bridge by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac

Frank Zappa
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Deanston Distillery founded in 1966 in Doune, located seven miles from Stirling, Scotland

ImageDeanston Distillery by APM Photography, on Flickr

So loving the big Maxi-Scoot.

mac

Frank Zappa
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

St Fillans - Loch Earn

ImageSt Fillans - Loch Earn by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac

Frank Zappa
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I ran a Swing a few years ago when I was struggling with a knee problem and needed the ability to stretch out. A Cruiser failed to appeal and I dropped on a Swing and bought it after a 5 mile test ride. Never ridden anything like it before :-)

WE were together for a couple of years until I found a bike that allowed me to ride with teh knee problem.

Toured over Europe and the UK. A brilliant mile muncher and with an airhawk seat, good for 12 hours. Best long distance trip I reckon was a blast from Ardnamurchan to Ft William then Home to Shropshire. The Swing on a quiet Motorway was hugely impressive coming back and for the sake of legality, I will confirm that I properly tested its high speed ability in Germany only.... :lol: Sitting at a steady 95 was rock steady and comfortable.

The only issue was the belt didn't half start to stink..... I eased off for 10 mins and she was grand again. I checked the belt before a trip to Italy, and it was fine, but did the driveline service anyway. Consumption dropped.... a lot, and I reckoned 75-80 was about optimum.

Mods were bigger screen, GPS, needed Hagon shocks (but sold it), changed fork oil, top box/ Needed panniers as carrying lugagge and tent on the rear seat made it top heavy... Diablo tyres transformed the handling, as in bloody amazing in the Alps amazing...

Have one again tomorrow...

macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Cheers SteveR for your take on the big Swing, appreciated.

Yes, it's a very deceptive quick/responsive Maxi-Scooter for sure. A few weeks ago I was riding on a local motorway at normal speeds (or very slightly higher....cough :D ) along with a 1200 GS Adventure machine and could keep up with no issues whatsoever, so easy and stable, smooth and comfortable. Amazing indeed.

I must look into the airhawk seat and those Pirelli Diablo tyres, thanks for the heads up.

I'm simply loving the overall experience I'm getting from the amazing Honda FJS-600, such a fantastic machine!

Regards;
mac

Frank Zappa
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

All this chat about maxi scooters is making me want one. I live down in south east Spain and I'd say there are more scooters of all shapes and sizes than any other two wheeled transport. The T-Max is very popular but they demand very high prices on the second hand market and I don't fancy anything other than a Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha scooter despite Kymco being widely used down here and quite cheap.

Got a TL1000S in the UK that is due to be brought over soon and I currently ride around on a Himalayan..............but I could be persuaded to part-ex it for a scooter. Mmmmmmmmm, decisions, decisions :shock:
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Lairyskippy;

My V-Strom DL1000 has hardly turned a wheel since the brilliant Silverwing 600 Maxi-Scoot arrived with me three weeks ago, it's that good...!

Out for another we forty mile run this morning, enjoying the warm/balmy dry weather conditions here in Central Scotland.

ImageCulross - Fife by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac

Frank Zappa

Return to “BIKES”