My new bike

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Re: My new bike

Post by daveuprite »

I haven't ridden any of the MT series Yams, but they do seem to capture what a lot of real-world road riders want from a bike, just as the original Fazers did 20 years ago.

As MacV has said, always do the sprocket gear up mod - it's so easy and cheap - and you always get the bike performing well in the range you are most likely to use it. I geared down my old TL1000S to the extreme. 1 tooth off the front, 4 teeth on the back. It became a crazy thing. Perhaps too extreme, but what a laugh. Mental wheelies everywhere in the first 3 gears and a 200kmh top end. Worse fuel consumption, sadly, but for a bike used rarely and for entertainment only it's the best way to transform your bike.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

chunky butt wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 am Nice bike, and they sound gorgeous....enjoy
Agree the sound is bloody awesome :D
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 pm I haven't ridden any of the MT series Yams, but they do seem to capture what a lot of real-world road riders want from a bike, just as the original Fazers did 20 years ago.

As MacV has said, always do the sprocket gear up mod - it's so easy and cheap - and you always get the bike performing well in the range you are most likely to use it. I geared down my old TL1000S to the extreme. 1 tooth off the front, 4 teeth on the back. It became a crazy thing. Perhaps too extreme, but what a laugh. Mental wheelies everywhere in the first 3 gears and a 200kmh top end. Worse fuel consumption, sadly, but for a bike used rarely and for entertainment only it's the best way to transform your bike.
wOw Dave, that's extreme over gearing there ok, but you enjoyed it...

Another good tip for the Tracer 900 would be to change stock air filter to a K&N race filter, it lets the engine breathe more efficiently, and you'll gain around 2/3BHP, you'll also have a beautiful throaty induction sound when you wind it on...!

Regards;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Thanks Guys 8-) . The Tracer is quite low geared, imho, so I won't be changing it. To be honest, I usually like running my road bikes with the standard gearing but I used to change my race Enduro bikes upwards or downwards sometimes depending on the track, so it's good advice. I once had a Yamaha WR250 that was too tall geared as standard but was an absolute missile once it had a larger rear sprocket.

Actually, a little bit of trivia (and a clue in the name of the bike) as the Yamaha WR range stood for 'Wide Ratio' compared to the ratios in the YZ range that the engine/gearbox was based on...I'll get my coat...an anorak... :lol:

p.s. I use K&N filters wherever I can...I've even got one in my Smart car....I kid you not... :oops: …(it's a proper engine Smart...with a 1.3 Mitsubishi engine) 8-) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I've now covered 3500 miles in 18 months which is low for me. I've fitted an MRA Vario screen which is a big improvement over the standard screen and I've got a Puig Sports screen as well which I think I'll sell because I can't see me using it again. It was still better than the standard screen but I prefer the MRA. I've also fitted a tail-tidy and I'm on my third rear tyre (the first and second ones punctured) and my second front tyre. I'm running Pirelli Diablo Stradas which imho are far better than the Dunlop Sportmax that were on it. Apart from that, no other mods. I also blew the fuse in the AUX socket when connecting something that was too much of a draw. Still very happy with it 8-) .

p.s. this photo was taken near Clarkson's Diddly Squat farm shop near Chipping Norton.

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Nice-looking bike

Return to “BIKES”