4ride: owners' thoughts?

The Things We Ride
EWR

4ride: owners' thoughts?

Post by EWR »

I'd be interested in any owner's thoughts on their long-term experience of the 4ride, particularly in terms of how it might have lived up to expectations (or not perhaps) and the general ownership experience, good/bad, pleasant/nasty surprises.

I've owned enough bikes, including old DTs/TYs and modern ATs, GSs, CRFs etc. to be aware of the obvious limitations of using a trials-derived machine on the road (speed, limited fuel range and economy, comfort, ergos). It looks nicely made, is very light and the low seat appeal, especially for someone with a weak ACL damaged right knee and who rides alone on occasion: the kick start appeals much less so to my right leg but there's no battery to go flat either and they may happily start on a gentle kick - just in the same way my old XR250 didn't.

I'm aware there are various S3 parts (e/start) that can address some issues. This will probably be my last off-road derived bike: it won't be used exhaustively, but I want some fun and I'd prefer something that doesn't need constant maintenance and attention.

My riding is mostly local, often solo, not especially technical but I really want to improve my riding skills and be able to get out of trouble more easily. I don't want a Freeride, X Trainer and if my Alp 4.0 was 30 kilos lighter and built by Honda, it would probably be fine for my mixed local road-lane riding. But it's surprising how easily the Alp drains your energy when the going gets tricky...any thoughts appreciated.
Tonibe63

Re: 4ride: owners' thoughts?

Post by Tonibe63 »

There's an active owners group on Facebook which is worth joining as it has all the usual questions that owners have.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
EWR

Post by EWR »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:52 pm There's an active owners group on Facebook which is worth joining as it has all the usual questions that owners have.
Thanks, not on Facebook but shall look a have, though it's probably not for me after all given the road use it will have to put up with
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Hi there

I had a 4RT which came with the 4 ride seat and other road based bits.
I sort of struggled with it really as i was hot on trials running tyres at 3.5 psi but hit the road with that and your in trouble, ok for a very quiet road with no traffic,:))

Fuel tank was ok ish but but very little capacity.

Its a a great bike for very local tracks and trails and alot of fun but has its limitations, wonderful engine tho
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

I have a 4RT and a scorpa T-ride 250f and recently had a test on a 4 ride, it was brand new and a pain in the arse to start unlike my 4RT so I put that down to it being so new, it was a lot higher seat than I expected, taller than my scorpa I think which being a short arse was disappointing, it's geared higher than the 4RT so I was using first where I'd normally use second but handled well in my opinion. Didn't ride it on the road just forest tracks and trials sections and the guy that was teaching on it at Inch Perfect trials was ragging it about just like a trials bike with no problems.
I think you'd need a good test ride and see what you think
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I was half fancying one
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I had one for a while , bought it to do long distance trials and a bit of trail riding , a bugger to start when warm , didn't find it a great bike not for me anyway !! , I have a Repsol 4rt and love it for trials , bought a gas gas Pampera for LDT fab bike , great on trails as well , also just got myself a Scorpa sy250 , Yamaha engine great little bike will climb a mountain , :D :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The old Pampera still takes a bit of beating...still got my MkIII, which I bought new as one of the last 2 to be imported to the UK.
Must remember to ride it...
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

diggermanbob wrote:I have a Repsol 4rt and love it,also just got myself a Scorpa sy250 , Yamaha engine great little bike will climb a mountain , :D :D
I have a TYZ - superb engines, torquey as a 4stroke
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
EWR

Post by EWR »

Many thanks for the practical insight and responses, which have echoed some of the limited comments and reviews I've found elsewhere - always good to get some insight. I know e/starts and a raft of other bits can be fitted but suddenly it's a £££££ bike and you then think "WTF am I doing??" And after 6 weeks I tell SWMBO my 'needs' have 'changed' and I'm 'seeking opinions' again.

I like the idea of it but's it's made my realise it's not for me. Should probably just stop endlessly pondering, buy another CRF and just ride the thing.

Return to “BIKES”