The Yamaha Tenere thread

The Things We Ride
chunky butt

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by chunky butt »

Great report there steve cheers......all in all a good tyre that will cope with most things then, as long as they last they'll be worth the dosh. They certainly look like they ready for some action.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Well I finally sat on one, T700, today and saw it in the flesh at the Yamaha dealer.
Last year it was on my shortlist, but nobody actually had one in store whilst I was looking to buy a new bike.
I eventually settled for a 2019 KTM 690 Enduro R and have been kitting it out slowly as well as riding it around
(nearly 5000 Km now). So that is what I compare it to.
Having jumped off my KTM and walked in the shop, I jumped on it, and the T700 felt weird. It certainly felt
top heavy. Also the ergonomics seemed wrong. The fuel tank felt like it was up at chest height and I really
felt like I was sitting 'in' the bike. The seat height is definately lower, and the dash was straight ahead in view.
The seat seemed reasonable but I did feel my legs were being pushed apart, which felt quite uncomfortable.
I didn't really fancy a test ride, after sitting on it and admit I am comparing 2 completely different bikes. But the KTM delivers
more of what I wanted from a new bike, except comfort :lol: :lol: Just thought I would give my 2p worth :)
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I love ktm's (I own one) and was excited when the 790 was announced..... but boy I think they are fugly! Not keen on low tanks and front is too 'transformers like'. Pity as I hoped for a kind of 690 rally bike look. Was too keen on T7 either at first but white one changed that when seen in flesh.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

qcnr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm Well I finally sat on one, T700, today and saw it in the flesh at the Yamaha dealer.
Last year it was on my shortlist, but nobody actually had one in store whilst I was looking to buy a new bike.
I eventually settled for a 2019 KTM 690 Enduro R and have been kitting it out slowly as well as riding it around
Having jumped off my KTM and walked in the shop, I jumped on it, and the T700 felt weird. It certainly felt
top heavy. Also the ergonomics seemed wrong. The fuel tank felt like it was up at chest height and I really
felt like I was sitting 'in' the bike. The seat height is definately lower, and the dash was straight ahead in view.
The seat seemed reasonable but I did feel my legs were being pushed apart, which felt quite uncomfortable.
I didn't really fancy a test ride, after sitting on it and admit I am comparing 2 completely different bikes. But the KTM delivers
more of what I wanted from a new bike, except comfort :lol: :lol: Just thought I would give my 2p worth :)
Well done for not wasting the dealers time by taking a test ride when it quite clearly wasn’t for you.
More to it, I’m glad that it’s confirmed even more that you’ve got the right bike.

Happy riding.
Last edited by OnHellas on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Indeed. I did buy the KTM unseen as well, but really enjoy it. It isn't perfect, but it does put a smile on my face when riding.
Did nearly 900kms last weekend and couldn't fault it, but as mentioned before seat comfort isn't there although on the
third day my bum was either completely numb or being hardened, as I noticed it less. It is also very capable of bringing out the
hooligan in you. :D :lol:
We can always imagine the grass is greener, but accepting something is satisfactory and is within your requirements seems less
common nowadays. I suppose that is consumerism. :roll:
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

qcnr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm Well I finally sat on one, T700, today and saw it in the flesh at the Yamaha dealer.
I totally agree with that, the 690 is a completely different bike to the T700. I think the 790 is a closer comparison.
one-legged adventurer
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

This is quite a boring post, really. Today I fitted a set of engine bars. After researching a number of different makes/types, I went for the Yamaha ones. I prefer the way in which they fit to the bike, i.e. to the two robust mounts to the front of the engine block/main frame; and the robust mount which makes use of the otherwise unused cylindrical casting at the upper rear of the engine/gearbox unit. There's also a strut which sits in front of the block, which braces the two main bars. The strut has a small amount of (purposeful) play in it's single fitting point to the front of the motor, which is good as it will allow a small degree of movement to the lower part of the main bars should the bike drop.
I didn't want any fixings to the quasi-downtubes as, being only cosmetic, I suspect they're not particularly strong and may get easily damaged. I'm also not too keen on fixing to the bracket at the centre front of the headstock, as some bars do - it looks quite fragile.
The only downside, albeit a small one, is that the top of the bars encroaches a little over the T7 logo.
Fitting is easy, and full instructions come complete with torque figures.
Attachments
20200702_131229.jpg
20200702_131229.jpg (150.8 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
20200702_131203.jpg
20200702_131203.jpg (152.87 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Went in to collect some bits for my WR to a Yam dealer and had another look at the T700’s

They really look a smashing bike - going for another test ride
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
RandG

Post by RandG »

Mines is currently sitting away feeling really unloved since I brought home another sweetheart during the week :lol: I'm sure it'll stop sulking once I get round to riding it again. 8-)
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Mines had plenty of attention all evening after getting home from work to find this lot had been delivered.
14F2237F-0E67-4DFE-BF17-4C7735F8AE87.jpeg
14F2237F-0E67-4DFE-BF17-4C7735F8AE87.jpeg (177.83 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

The rear E-09 went on surprisingly easily based on how stiff the tyre wall is and using only trail tools (Short Motion Pro levers).
Mind you it took a lot of air pressure to set the bead. My little compressor was working a bit too hard and getting hot!

Return to “BIKES”