The Yamaha Tenere thread

The Things We Ride
RandG

Re: The Yamaha Tenere thread

Post by RandG »

I've had four over the years... although only pictures of three...
IMG-20180626-WA0000jpg.0.jpg
IMG-20180626-WA0000jpg.0.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

ImageImage
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Interesting new bit of kit from T7Rally...............

one-legged adventurer
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

had the good fortune to meet darran today on a peaks trail ride out ...he let me have a little braaap of his tenere ....hes using hyperpro fronts and has two top hat spacers made at 7mm ,,rally raid 95nm spring hes 17 stone like me .its way better than mine for sure and just for good measure he proceeded to do all the knarly track in the peaks like he were on a trials bike
so im going to just copy him to start with ...only downside id say yje bike is around 2inches higher at the seat but it deffo rides way better than mine and you can see the stattic sag holg high it so thats me next move relativly cheap to do ......
bear in mind its fist impressions of a stock bike but they do count ......feeling a bit better about it now ...i will need a lot of bike time before i attempt some of them trails on her she is a big fecker ..didnt get much film of darren he were to fast for me ..and everone else tbo :D but it was nice to see the t7 ridden on the trails first hand
tbo i wll still use the mighty rally for the harder stuff and use the t7 for a touring easier trails bike ....or so i think ..i have to say its ok when your upright but im just about able to handle the rally if i fall or stall .. i could struggle with the t7 for sure ..id deffo need some company to help me pick it up
anyway a good day and some decent first hand info 8-)

left a few solo clips in to show you what the going was like

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
cowling

Post by cowling »

Did track very well that t7 Steve, till he got away from u. Quite happy to make u some top hat spacers but not sure when I'll be back to work. Looks like a good day was had. 👍
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Thanks for taking the time to film and upload that encounter Minkyhead.

Darren looked a tall enough to handle the extra 2” of lift on his suspension set up.

I’m 6ft with a 32” inside leg so the bike feels tall enough stock but would certainly consider the upgrade if it makes a big difference.

Good to see him climb up the gnarly bits with no fuss and the lack of visible tracks shows he was probably using the torque from a higher gear and not spinning up the rear all the time.
👍
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

cowling wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:49 pm Did track very well that t7 Steve, till he got away from u. Quite happy to make u some top hat spacers but not sure when I'll be back to work. Looks like a good day was had. 👍
thanks neil ...you were expecting it so please zapp me when your back ont lathes ....... the turbine like soft power and a very very well connected clutch make me feel them techy bits may be easier than you first think ....ill need to get to grips with it proper ..summet to bear in mind darren is a very very good rider ..but it was impressive on them rocky lanes for sure
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

MotoCP wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:53 pm Thanks for taking the time to film and upload that encounter Minkyhead.

Darren looked a tall enough to handle the extra 2” of lift on his suspension set up.

I’m 6ft with a 32” inside leg so the bike feels tall enough stock but would certainly consider the upgrade if it makes a big difference.

Good to see him climb up the gnarly bits with no fuss and the lack of visible tracks shows he was probably using the torque from a higher gear and not spinning up the rear all the time.
👍
yeas your near enough the same as me ..ive a slightly longer leg ..i reacon i were icm either side of a flat foot whereas my stock bike its room to spare ... but put a camber in and add the weight she will be a handfull ...got to kepp her moving i reacon easier said than done somtimes though ...we had a africa twin join us ..retired after the 2nd trail two drops two trails ...it a feckin tank compared to the t7 ..everything releveny i guess ...and of course rider related too ..but thet africa twin is one big weight when stuck on tree root..it beyond my breif ..i thought he was brave when we set off :shock: :shock: ... # needs a africa single

braaaaap
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:46 pm
thet africa twin is one big weight when stuck on tree root.
[/quote]

Your not kidding! I’ve been wrestling mine up hill and down dale for the last 13 years but I haven’t got the energy I use to have.

The T7 should do me for the next 10+ years but like you, I should also get a 250 for the harder snotty stuff.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

OnHellas wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:06 pm Has anybody fitted heated grips? Anyone gone for the genuine Yamaha offerings?
Hi
Yep - I had the Yam grips fitted by the dealers before pickup and using them through the winter has been fine mostly on setting 2 that said I've never had heated grips before. Setting 3 was very warm even in the snow.

Enojy
Harv
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

MotoCP wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:15 pm After nearly two weeks of ownership, I’m just back from the 600 mile dealer service and I’m increasingly impressed by the T700 (bought with just 340 miles on).

The torque the engine produces allows really lazy gear selection, so accelerating from low speeds in high gears is fine.

I set off from stationary at traffic lights on a level road and thought it felt a bit more viby than normal. When I looked at the display, I realized I was in third gear but it didn’t even feel close to stalling with just a minimal increase in revs and no extra clutch slipping required.

It bodes well for getting the traction down when climbing steep trails in the absence of any fancy electronics.

The jury is still out on seat comfort but so far it’s been fine for the odd hour ride I’ve done so far.

I’m not keen on the fuel gauge though.
I set off on the bike today (facing up a gentle incline) and it displayed a flashing single bar. I couldn’t believe I’d burnt so much fuel so quickly, but headed straight for fuel.
It only took a tenner to fill it so the gauge had obviously malfunctioned but was fine on the way home.

I’ve really enjoyed flicking it around the back lanes but can’t wait to test it off road once I’ve sorted the following;

Rim locks, HD tubes, tyres, tail tidy, lever protection, crash bars and a decent skid plate.

I’ll be watching this thread with interest to see what folk suggest.

👍
HI
Re the fuel gauge - I don't think it's as linear as you'd expect, I'm finding that the display starts to flash after about 11 litres used (around 240 miles) and with the fuel economy I reckon there's around 80 miles to go on flashing gauge. I get average 70mpg - I actually had to put 1 gallon in after a 70 mile trip up to Sheffield last year, I was laughing the rest of the day
I've got around 4,500 miles on mine now and I love it :) looking for some better than stock tyres soon though

Harv

Return to “BIKES”