Changing from a 1200GS to a Honda?

The Things We Ride
DanielS

Re: Changing from a 1200GS to a Honda?

Post by DanielS »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 am Ive changed from a 1250 rallye to a X ADV and if i had the two side by side which i did for a while i would take the X, loads of Torque bags of fun and most importantly makes me smile!
Both bikes are fantastic in different ways,
GS was great looking and a great all rounder,but heavy to manoeuvre a real beast, very torquey but couldn’t tell the difference between the 1200 really.
XADV is a hybrid very eco on fuel, 70 mpg average riding good easy off roader feels alot lighter to flick around and much easier to manoeuvre.
The DCT gen 2 is a real blast which is the same set up in the latest NC, i did hear that a possible AT will come with 750 engine but no idea if fact or fiction!
Both are extremely different but good fun
Thanks Helicopter Man. Strange you should mention the XADV as I saw one for sale recently. Certainly, a different idea and last night I watched this video comparing the three Honda DCTs . Ok he was comparing new prices so ended up going for the cheapest, but he did say he'd take the AT if it were cheaper, I seem to recall.

A very quick google on the DCT Gen 2 that you mention, doesn't give me too many results. Do you have any more info of the Gen 1 vs the Gen 2 and what bikes they were in?

The VFR1200X isn't that much more than the NC750X, but I can see me struggling with slow speed manoeuvring in car parks and stuff. But 130bhp is so appealing! Why can't they make lighter bikes, things seem to be getting heavier and heavier lately. I'm sure it's a great bike, and shaft drive is a pleasure.

The older AT and Dominator type stuff are lovely and I can see the appeal of them. Some great photos above from all.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I recently seen a Honda X-ADV parked up and went to have a close look at it, very fresh and Funky looking alright, I'd love to test-ride one at some stage.... I'd say that bike would tick a lot of boxes...!

Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Hiya
So ref the gen 1 and 2, they made some changes to the gearbox dct late 17 early 18 manufacturer dates which made the down shift smoother. As you slow down in top and you brake it used to surge the brakes a tad but this has gone now, also they added the G mode( gravel) which sharpens up the gearbox up through the gears, it actually does work well to be fair.
The ADV is a-lot of fun and until you've had a go on one it’s difficult to portray what they are like, yes they have their weakness like lack of ground clearance and steering lock could be a bit better but i cant think of much else.
Very fast off the lights and I've out manoeuvred many sports bikes around the twisties as the handling is incredible, as yes you can sit on it like a scooter whilst performing these moves, :))

I take it green laning and through woodland where feasible.
You do need the enduro pegs fitted which are now about £50 which gives you all the control and another foot position option.
Top speed is 117 which is more than enough for it as seems to be tuned for torque .
If you want to get something a little different and adopt a different and fun ride i would defo recommend one as it puts a smile on my face

I keep saying to myself, it shouldn’t bloody do this!!
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Forgot to mention, i average 65 mpg for my style of riding and went from bristol to lyme regis to Salisbury plain off roading to calne cheddar and home, fuel level about to flash on 160 miles, 200 is doable if you cruise it which is the same as my 1250 gs, but it only took £12 ish to fill up. :mrgreen:
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Thanks for that info.

I think dealers have opened again today so I'll see if I can go and ride all three DCT models (NC750X, AT and the VFR1200X) The Scooter (sorry) looks nuts so will have a try too if they let me. Sadly I can't afford to buy new, so it's a case of narrowing down my search which I feel a bit guilty for ...
stramasher

Post by stramasher »

DCT is brilliant. I tell anybody that listens to put it straight into "MT" manual and use the trigger and flipper for gear changing but a mate had a shot and loved how idiot proof the experience was in Auto. Later versions are apparently cleverer and can be more tailored in Auto.

(2013 DCT Crosstourer, been faultless)
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

stramasher wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am DCT is brilliant. I tell anybody that listens to put it straight into "MT" manual and use the trigger and flipper for gear changing but a mate had a shot and loved how idiot proof the experience was in Auto. Later versions are apparently cleverer and can be more tailored in Auto.

How do you find the weight of the Crosstourer when doing slow stuff? Car parks, town centres, parking up, pushing it back etc. My 1200GS is about 225kg, according to wiki, the 1200x DCT is 272kg. That's a big hike which scares me.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

I'm afraid the manual crosstourer is 275kgs wet and the dct is 285kgs. I had the manual and it was a fantastic bike on the move, even slow speed manoeuvers. BUT trying to push it around is a nightmare. I heard one review that said "it was like dancing with a sedated gorrilla". I gave up putting it on the main stand after pulling a hamstring trying to do it. Reports on the owners forum of snapped achilles trying to do the same. Also when loaded with luggage every stop has to be planned and which foot to put down has to be planned in advance. If I parked on a slight camber I couldn't pull the bike up straight from a seated position. Probably the best value for money bike out there if you can handle the weight. Traded mine in for a 650 Versys because of the weight.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Thanks for that. Sadly I think it confirms what I already thought about the weight. I struggled enough with my 1200GS and it sounds like this is a nightmare (Especially two up) when coming to a stop. Oh well, still hope to get to the dealer soon.
stramasher

Post by stramasher »

DanielS wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 pm
stramasher wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am DCT is brilliant. I tell anybody that listens to put it straight into "MT" manual and use the trigger and flipper for gear changing but a mate had a shot and loved how idiot proof the experience was in Auto. Later versions are apparently cleverer and can be more tailored in Auto.

How do you find the weight of the Crosstourer when doing slow stuff? Car parks, town centres, parking up, pushing it back etc. My 1200GS is about 225kg, according to wiki, the 1200x DCT is 272kg. That's a big hike which scares me.
Hello Daniel,

well im 6'2" and need to "think" lol. its a 850mm seat height, and a big beast to roll about under no power (bloody well balanced to ride though) The centrestand is a knack (straight leg, full weight on it and lift with bar and grab handle) but as stated can be a chore with fully packed luggage. In fact it helps to roll it back a couple of inches and then plant the stand with your full weight.

i have had it 7yr so I think i fling it about like a SM! Back brake is your friend for any slow, walking pace stuff and a more moderated throttle than what we are used to with a manual clutch bike. Probably good advice for any DCT.

I would be looking at an Africa Twin dct if you are wanting to scratch that fancy gearbox itch, as i said its a marvel. The Africa Twin to me feels much thinner and spindlier. A dirt bike compared to the CT.

Let us know how you get on.

Return to “BIKES”