Changing from a 1200GS to a Honda?

The Things We Ride
DanielS

Changing from a 1200GS to a Honda?

Post by DanielS »

I fancy a change from my 1200GS (2006 model, been very reliable and comfortable) but really want to scratch the Honda DCT itch. Any advice?

NC750X DCT- Looks lovely, will I miss the power? How is it for two up touring (We're both about 10 and a half stone)? Comfortable?
VFR1200X DCT - Heard it's a bit outdated now? Also very heavy compared to a 1200GS. I'm a short arse at 5 foot 6 (and a half) and I struggle with the GS sometimes in car parks. I do like the maintenance free shaft drives though ... power would be plentiful too.
Africa Twin DCT - Sat on one and it feels very tall. Top heavy like my old F800GS?

Rumours of a 850cc Honda (New NC and perhaps a "baby" 850cc Africa Twin) but I suspect these would be out of my budget.

I already have a 650 Single for any offroad, so this one is just for touring, one up, two up and munching tarmac with maybe a dirt road at worst.
EWR

Re: Changing from a 1200GS to a Honda?

Post by EWR »

I've previously owned XRV 750s, an S10, a GS Rallye, an AT DCT and currently have the NC750 DCT.

The NC doesn't have the presence or the performance of the AT, and it weighs almost as much. But it carries its weight much lower than the AT which makes it more manageable, for me. I've found it handles better, is more comfortable, more practicable (tank trunk, tubeless) and much more economical than the AT

I'm a Honda fan but he AT build quality was wanting a little and my DCT was also a little erratic, whereas the NC DCT seems far more settled

Just my view.

Disclaimer: I've got my NC in the FS section on here but that's only because I'm mostly trail riding now on my Beta and its not being used: my ideal one bike garage would probably house a modern take on my old Honda Dominator, not dissimilar to your 650...
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Gonna throw in a curve ball here, have you thought about a Yamaha Tracer 700 parallel twin, or it's bigger brother the Tracer 900GT triple....?

Regards;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Thanks for the info EWR. I've seen your Blue NC here and it looks great. How do you find it at 70/80 on the motorway? My 1200 is so comfortable with the big screen I can easily go at 70/80 with my visor open and little wind. Have you ever taken a pillion? I've been watching/reading reviews and comparisons the past few days. The standard screen looks quite small, but I am sure that there are aftermarket decent ones.

Peter, nice suggestion, and something I hadn't thought of. However, for now I'm really after a Honda DCT, just an itch that I must scratch, but appreciate the reply.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I test-rode a Honda Crosstourer a few years back (non DCT) and simply couldn't believe the utterly amazing SMOOOOTH V-4 engine, oh my word, such a beautiful engine....and shaft-drive. I ride a DL1000 V-Strom V twin.

I'm sure the DCT version would be marvellous.....try take one out at some point for a decent 60/70 mile test ride/run to get the feel of it.

Only my tuppence worth input.

Cheers;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
EWR

Post by EWR »

DanielS wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 pm Thanks for the info EWR. I've seen your Blue NC here and it looks great. How do you find it at 70/80 on the motorway? My 1200 is so comfortable with the big screen I can easily go at 70/80 with my visor open and little wind. Have you ever taken a pillion? I've been watching/reading reviews and comparisons the past few days. The standard screen looks quite small, but I am sure that there are aftermarket decent ones.

Peter, nice suggestion, and something I hadn't thought of. However, for now I'm really after a Honda DCT, just an itch that I must scratch, but appreciate the reply.
The NC is fine, for me, on motorways - it just ticks along really, no vibrations, no speed, just torque. The AT used to get blown round more. Mine has the taller Givi screen which is fine for me at 5'9" but it's horse for courses I suppose - I find wearing different helmets (I use 3) has more of an effect re: screen noise etc.

Fine two up but doesn't have the power like the AT. Far easier to man handle/manoeuvre the NC. AT was very smooth but I used to get constant vibration white finger in my right hand, so it may have been an issue with the bars. My AT DCT was erratic and sometimes a little unpredictable.

This was my AT but we sadly never gelled like my original one.
Attachments
DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG (287.64 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
EWR

Post by EWR »

EWR wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:16 pm
DanielS wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 pm Thanks for the info EWR. I've seen your Blue NC here and it looks great. How do you find it at 70/80 on the motorway? My 1200 is so comfortable with the big screen I can easily go at 70/80 with my visor open and little wind. Have you ever taken a pillion? I've been watching/reading reviews and comparisons the past few days. The standard screen looks quite small, but I am sure that there are aftermarket decent ones.

The NC is fine, for me, on motorways - it just ticks along really, no vibrations, no speed, just torque. The AT used to get blown round more. Mine has the taller Givi screen which is fine for me at 5'9" but it's horse for courses I suppose - I find wearing different helmets (I use 3) has more of an effect re: screen noise etc.

Fine two up but doesn't have the power like the AT. Far easier to man handle/manoeuvre the NC. AT was very smooth but I used to get constant vibration white finger in my right hand, so it may have been an issue with the bars. My AT DCT was erratic and sometimes a little unpredictable.

This was my AT but we sadly never gelled like my original one.
P.S. My original AT (and Dommie) - 1996...
Attachments
Hondas.JPG
Hondas.JPG (240.71 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Love the look of the original AT, still a real Icon!
Last edited by Helicoptermanr22 on Sat May 30, 2020 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Ive changed from a 1250 rallye to a X ADV and if i had the two side by side which i did for a while i would take the X, loads of Torque bags of fun and most importantly makes me smile!
Both bikes are fantastic in different ways,
GS was great looking and a great all rounder,but heavy to manoeuvre a real beast, very torquey but couldn’t tell the difference between the 1200 really.
XADV is a hybrid very eco on fuel, 70 mpg average riding good easy off roader feels alot lighter to flick around and much easier to manoeuvre.
The DCT gen 2 is a real blast which is the same set up in the latest NC, i did hear that a possible AT will come with 750 engine but no idea if fact or fiction!
Both are extremely different but good fun
Attachments
0A9F4D9F-47A1-406D-9027-14D2BBCC89C7.jpeg
0A9F4D9F-47A1-406D-9027-14D2BBCC89C7.jpeg (204.45 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
EWR

Post by EWR »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:58 am Love the look of the original AT, still a real Icon!
One bike I wish I had never sold - took me all over Europe in my 20s and its still on the road and going strong according to DVLA records. Replaced it with a Varadero but those two would be my perfect two bike garage now...even without the rose tinted specs, they don't make them like they used to. :cry:

Return to “BIKES”