Old v New

The Things We Ride
Steve T

Old v New

Post by Steve T »

2020 Honda CB500X v 1998 Honda XL600V Transalp

Seeing as how I just happen to have one of each of these machine in the garage and it would appear that up here in the far north I will be sat here staring at the walls and waiting for death to come-a-knocking a while longer than you southerners, I thought I'd do a comparison of Hondas budget commuter / big engined small trail bikes from different eras.

PDF of my musings should be attached :roll: :D

Alp-CB5X comparison.pdf
(144.72 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
PHILinFRANCE

Re: Old v New

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Hi Steve , i had a similar choice a few years back ....a 19 year old DR650se and a 1 year old Yamaha XTZ660 .....needless to say i still have the DR650 8-)
Last edited by PHILinFRANCE on Sun May 17, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have a 98 alp as you know--and now another CB500 of the same year!--bought for 400 quid but with only 29k on the clock--as a non runner--gunged carbs. Its now sorted with a decent screen and new rear shocks etc-----and I ride both. The CB500 is more "sporty" in the riding position and handling, and has a power band kicking in above 7k. It seems a bit quicker than the Alp, but its marginal (there is a race series for the old CB500s which says it all!).I agree with your assessment -but noted that you have a "new " cb500--I have just fitted a stainless muffler off a 2013 CB500 to my old one to replace the heavier and more restricted black mild steel one (took some considerable adjustment at the inlet to fit but now in the right place and sounds a bit sportier (the newer muffler runs with a CAT as standard, but not so on the old CB500--so is less restrictive). Cruising at (or above when permitted) 70 mph is easy on both bikes. The alp is definitely the long distance, relaxed bike (took me 3 screen attempts and a deflector to ride visor up without buffeting at 70 mph). It has a GRP stainless muffler and of course my own carbon/kevlar bashplate. Both bikes have rear racks and pannier frames--and the cb 500 came with genuine Honda hepco and becker panniers--one owner from new and imported from germany. The Brembo brakes on the CB500 are better than the Alp, but the Alp's suspension is softer and more suited to the rough stuff. I have fitted charge indicators and 12v outlets to both--and both will tour, but for a trip to Romania or similar it would be the Alp as its an armchair--and both bikes are SIMPLE with no useless and unnecessary electronics to fail. The CB500 is certainly lower and easier to move around (but more cramped on a long run) --but neither are like my previous hunk of junk Triumph 1050 Tiger--overweight, top heavy and with (believe it or not even with Hyperpro) poorer handling.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Getting parts for the old tyranny is getting hard cdi etc... Its carbs but that v twin is a peach and has a sole... The new twin is to me soleless... But I do prefer a big thumping single any day.... 🤗😎

Return to “BIKES”