The Two Stroke Bug - Help Needed With a Cure

The Things We Ride
Mosel Bikes

The Two Stroke Bug - Help Needed With a Cure

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Decided I'm not ready to pack the biking in yet after all. Need guidance on sixties/seventies two stroke road bikes.
Want a two stroke. Was actively looking for an exc300 (again), then remembered my hip replacement and what might happen if I fall off (and I do, every ride out) and it doesn't bear thinking about - especially when I have seven rescue greyhounds that need walking several times every day, no exceptions no excuses.
Then I kept getting feeds through Facebook and the like on what I think must be iconic two stroke road bikes (I don't tend to fall off them) and I thought it might be just what I'm after. Problem is, I came to biking late, in the early eighties, as a means of getting to uni cheaply - ie a bike was just a form of transport that was cheap. I didn't take a wider interest until later, so missed out on what two stroke bikes were out there.
Now I'm retired, very comfortably off, but only have small windows of time to ride, due to the dogs, which are my life really. So I thought why not a modern classic sixties or seventies two stroke, that I can ride occasionally, but also that I'll enjoy just looking at and hearing as I sit with a cuppa, chatting to many admirers who stop to ask ....
I don't know anything about the models produced then that are still easily available, albeit at a price.
I'd be grateful if some of you oldies or experts out there can suggest a few, so I can then research myself. Anything from just the make and model, to more detailed information would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
macvisual

Re: The Two Stroke Bug - Help Needed With a Cure

Post by macvisual »

I'd love one myself...! So what engine size do you fancy?? I love/adored the 1970/80's two stroke machines myself, I once owned a Suzuki X7 250. I believe they hold their price buying any second hand 2-stroke motorcycle nowadays...... I recently spoke with the owner of this 1977 Suzuki GT750 triple at the weekend (photo below) and it's worth 10k upwards........yikes.

You could go reasonably cheap and find the likes of a MZ250, or something like a Yamaha RD250/400 - Kawasaki KH250/400/750 but they'll be expensive I'm sure.

I'd love to find/restore a Suzuki AP50 at some stage, loved them, but I would drawf it size wise.

Here's a few recent 2-stroke photo's to get you going.

ImageSuzuki GT750 by APM Photography, on Flickr

ImageYamaha FS1-E by APM Photography, on Flickr

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I had Yamaha RD200 dx,RD250 Dx ,RD400 C,RD 350LC. Suzuki TS250ER,TS185 ER. Maico 250,Maico 400,Maico 490. Yamaha YZ465G. I currently own a CZ175. I wanted an MZ TS250 but could not find one for the right money. If money was no object i would have a Suzuki TS185 ER again as they were nearly as powerful as the TS250 ER but the same size and weight as their TS125.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Thanks guys.
I think I'm more inclined toward the Suzi GT750 or similar type is what I'm likely to go for, fully restored and working, as my budget is up to £10k. Happy to look at everything at this stage however - it's all new to me and I need that again in biking.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I do LOVE the smell of Castrol R racing 2-stroke oil -- amazing. If I hear of something like a GT750 for sale I'll let you know.

I also owned a Yamaha DT175 in my late teens, class machine...

mac

Frank Zappa
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Not exactly 2-stroke, but how about a Wankel???

Its a trick............get an Axe
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Well if I were you I'd extend my search a bit to include 80's two-strokes, because some of the best came out then. By which I mean bikes like the Yam RD350YPVS, Suz 250 Gamma variants, RGV250, Honda NSR400, Yam RD500YPVS, Suz RG500 Gamma etc. Of course the latter three have flown up in value and are pucker investments now. A really good Yam 350 Powervalve (1983-86 bikes look best IMO) in standard vgc but non councours condition would be about £5-6k now and would keep a smile glued to your face. Not stupidly quick but satisfying and sure to gather a crowd of peeps wanting to talk about it. I had one back in the day and loved it.

macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Just spotted this 1974 Suzuki GT750 with 24,350 miles on clock, two previous owners, nice looking in blue. For sale on Bike Autotrader, I've no connection with the sale of this machine.
Just within your budget.

Link here;
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... n=at_bikes

mac

Frank Zappa
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If you want something really interesting, hunt down a Bridgestone.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/cat/15/810/

Yes, they were made by the tyre company!

The story goes that Honda and Yamaha were so concerned about the very high quality and performance of these that they had a high-level meeting with Bridgestone and said that if Bridgestone wished to retain its very lucrative original-equipment fit business with them, then it better remember that it made tyres, and Honda and Yamaha made motorcycles!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Or, the last blaze of 2-stroke glory....

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-fo ... lia/rs250/

The nearest most of us could ever get to a full-on GP bike. It's actually got a Suzuki engine, and dates from when Aprilia made very high-quality bikes without the 'help' of Piagio accountants.

Return to “BIKES”