ktm 790 adventure r perfection or myth

The Things We Ride
Sanqhar

Re: ktm 790 adventure r perfection or myth

Post by Sanqhar »

minkyhead wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm heres the thing i went to buy a pr7 this week i always had it down as me next bike ..the test ride was a standard bike and my oh my was it flat ..i dont believe it puts out the 48 they say i think its less than 40 it certainly isntas quick a t old tenere or a old 650 klr ...so the power up version m,ust be the only real option ...so another grand ..then maby a thork ecu update then id need luggage solutions so iim now potentially well over ten grand ..i really liked the actual bike and shassis but were a bit unsure as the front suspension seemed pretty harsh on shatp edged hits so ive resolved to try and ride one with thpower up kit
the other thing i realised after is the gearbox is the low ration one with a shoter 5th and 6th than the original motor .im wondering now if i an pick ip a 650r swm with the better box and graft some forks on it for r4k
im not really so sure what to do as at ten grand i really do need to think hard ..it has a great chasis and feels ace its actually 10ks heavier than me rally but feels 15ks lighter
dunno on the fence at the moment but the standard bike is way way short of what s needed ...i accep totally its a ploy to get it thriugh ennisions but the swm 650r motor was way way way better ..infact it was brilliant ..so i was really disspointed with the pr7 as standard

...so. Just keep the CCM!

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

minkyhead wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm heres the thing i went to buy a pr7 this week i always had it down as me next bike ..the test ride was a standard bike and my oh my was it flat ..i dont believe it puts out the 48 they say i think its less than 40 it certainly isntas quick a t old tenere or a old 650 klr ...so the power up version m,ust be the only real option ...so another grand ..then maby a thork ecu update then id need luggage solutions so iim now potentially well over ten grand ..i really liked the actual bike and shassis but were a bit unsure as the front suspension seemed pretty harsh on shatp edged hits so ive resolved to try and ride one with thpower up kit
the other thing i realised after is the gearbox is the low ration one with a shoter 5th and 6th than the original motor .im wondering now if i an pick ip a 650r swm with the better box and graft some forks on it for r4k
im not really so sure what to do as at ten grand i really do need to think hard ..it has a great chasis and feels ace its actually 10ks heavier than me rally but feels 15ks lighter
dunno on the fence at the moment but the standard bike is way way short of what s needed ...i accep totally its a ploy to get it thriugh ennisions but the swm 650r motor was way way way better ..infact it was brilliant ..so i was really disspointed with the pr7 as standard
Unfortunately the SWM RS650R has the close ratio gearbox. There was an American guy that fitted new gears from the earlier Husqvarna but it was a difficult job to match all the parts up and even had to use the output shaft from the Husky. On the SWM owners site many people fitted the Husqvarna TE250 forks and front wheel. It all starts getting complicated and expensive. The luggage racks are available from a guy in portugal he also does the pannier frames and even hard panniers. All this as you say makes an expensive bike even more so. The tablet as a speedo and navigation system is such a great idea i bought a 9" tablet and RAM mount and use it on my bike. The PR7 is sold as a pure off road bike with no passenger footpegs so it gets round Euro 4 regulations and does not need to have ABS either. It is one of the very few bikes that has been deigned for a specific purpose rather than pander to mass sales in the east. A great idea but still not quite there yet. Martin at Torque racing knows a lot about these bikes and does prep work for many rally raid bikes.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Minky, I may be wrong but I think all the SWM 600 engines have the same ratio's - it was certain Huskys that had wider ratios.

I had a SWM RS650R before the PR7 and I feel the ratios are the same. My bike had the "full power" option from day 1 and is certainly far peppier than the SWM was ( the SWM wasn't slow).
IMO the bike you rode was not set-up properly if it didn't compare favourably to either a KLR or old Tenere.

The tablet (which I considered a gimmick) is actually useful once you've gone full on Drive Mode (£4.95 with free updates).
I bought the Pamir racks which are spot on for soft luggage and easy to fit & remove (after the 1st time...……..).

The only bit on the PR7 that irritates me is the exhaust at ankle level which has toasted my trousers (!) and after a "shorts & trainers" ride into the garage (20') has scarred my right calf! :lol: I'm making a better shield now.

I've followed your write -ups on your CCMs and Honda Rally and think a properly set up PR7 would suit you down to the ground. Just my 2p worth.

Replied to your PM btw.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

thanks i agree totally that the bike cant get the reviews its got without being good ...i think the machine i rode with the standard exhaust was new and not the real deal ..
i liked it but as i say its a streach to order one with the power up kit and then not like what i get

as a aside im pretty sure thers swm650r had the longer ratios in when i rode it gearing commader and the handbook list the spread as long ratio ..... on the rs650r i dont know how many derivitives there were its all very confusing

handbook deffo lists the long box though 1st Gear Ratio 2nd Gear Ratio 3rd Gear Ratio 4th Gear Ratio 5th Gear Ratio 6th Gear Ratio
34/13
29/16
20/26

i thank your you replies and see how the mop flops ..this year sees us having our wings clipped a fair bit so no need to plunge in ... keep well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:57 pm thanks i agree totally that the bike cant get the reviews its got without being good ...i think the machine i rode with the standard exhaust was new and not the real deal ..
i liked it but as i say its a streach to order one with the power up kit and then not like what i get

as a aside im pretty sure thers swm650r had the longer ratios in when i rode it gearing commader and the handbook list the spread as long ratio ..... on the rs650r i dont know how many derivitives there were its all very confusing

handbook deffo lists the long box though 1st Gear Ratio 2nd Gear Ratio 3rd Gear Ratio 4th Gear Ratio 5th Gear Ratio 6th Gear Ratio
34/13
29/16
20/26

i thank your you replies and see how the mop flops ..this year sees us having our wings clipped a fair bit so no need to plunge in ... keep well
PM'd your reply.

Return to “BIKES”