Yamaha T7 review/insight

The Things We Ride
bikenav

Re: Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by bikenav »

He could have sat on the fence and not picked either I think it was his own honest opinion, and good points made that would have some relevance to most of us. I'd also guess he could have changed his trip ever so slightly missing out the sand which many others would do anyway and then the call would have been very close or even different. As a smaller guy the picking the the dam thing up is super relevant to me and I am willing to sacrifice a lot to have the confidence that I can when it happens. Like the GP 450 before it the CRF 450 is again a pain in my mind, so close but no cigar. The 690 etc was not mentioned much I suppose because the content was in large a direct comparison of 2 bikes on 2 similar trips, great for him and us if he could take a couple more weeks out and try an AJP for a third report.
Dave if your reading this and your unable to go, supply me the GPX and bike I'll go in your place and I wont tell anybody honest.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:26 am
What he says is weight is the enemy, off road and if you put some effort into a compromise, then you will be rewarded

I have met Dave Lomax a few times and he’s an honest sort of bloke - in fact I am seeing him this Weds and will ask him

A 130kg single is better than a 200 kg twin

But then a 75kg Honda 4Ride will go more places than a 110kg KTM 350
I hazard a guess that David Knight on a fully loaded GS would go more places than I could on a Honda 4Ride. My point being that the rider is the biggest limiting factor in terms of riding technical terrain rather than the bikes.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I had watched the Honda review before but forgotten

Interesting comparison and nice to hear the honesty ... not just another I love BMW (cause they pay me) review

I found the comparison with the 690 to be quite interesting and I would love a test ride on the Honda just for my own info
That wouldn't make a difference to me as I have already made a choice and own a 690
For me I will accept the extra weight because I don't want to change the oil - buying and disposing could be a pain even if it is a 10 min job
Also the extra power .... and there the difference is not just a bit ... is double plus

450 Rally bikes seem to get by just fine

The pilot is a HUGE factor no doubt - nice that we have more bike choices emerging. Take your pick and enjoy
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:55 pm
I hazard a guess that David Knight on a fully loaded GS would go more places than I could on a Honda 4Ride. My point being that the rider is the biggest limiting factor in terms of riding technical terrain rather than the bikes.
Exactly. My riding is absolutely consistent regardless of the bike. I can crash ANYTHING...
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Monster wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:34 pm The pilot is a HUGE factor no doubt - nice that we have more bike choices emerging. Take your pick and enjoy
This is it in a nutshell.

1. The rider is all important. How good they are on the terrain they want to travel along, what type of bike they like and what they're going to do with it.

2. Isn't it great that manufacturers are now producing no nonsense lighter weight multi purpose bikes that are fit for purpose at a decent price point.

Also don't take Dave Lomax's opinion as something to agree with or argue against. He's a bloke who's had a ride and expressed an opinion, because folk like to hear opinions. Whilst he's a lovely bloke and creates some great items to buy from his website, if you're going to choose a bike go and ride a few and create your own opinions.

To be honest, I've opted out of the new bike market and chosen a different path. Like I've posted before, no new bikes in the past 10 years have interested me except the T7. I'm looking forward to seeing more like it from different manufacturers. At some point I might ride a few. :shock:
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Monster wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 pm As an aside ... (and not meaning to high-jack the thread) ....

What do people think of the OEM tyres on the T7 ??

I am looking for some tyres for a trip to Morocco ... road and whatever we come across
Not an off-road trip but we are riding across Spain each way
In Morocco we are riding roads and small / interesting back roads but not crazy off piste stuff (this time)

I have seen the OEM tyre and think that they may be worth considering for my 990 Adv

Thanks
Hiya
I think the standard tyres are ok-ish on hard packed stuff but I've found them to be lacking any sideways grip on soft stuff, I'm going to be replacing them soon with something else - I like Mitas rubber, it seems to suit my riding

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 42#p650242

Cheers
Harv
johnnyboxer

Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by johnnyboxer »

I spoke to Dave Lomax last night and whilst he liked the T7, he fave bike at the moment for do it all, was still the Honda CRF 450L

On the 450L, now with full power and he said it’s a keeper, whereas the T7 will probably go after a year or so

Interesting that he didn’t ‘hate’ riding 450L for 6000 Kms last year to Maroc and back
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm I spoke to Dave Lomax last night and whilst he liked the T7, he fave bike at the moment for do it all, was still the Honda CRF 450L

On the 450L, now with full power and he said it’s a keeper, whereas the T7 will probably go after a year or so

Interesting that he didn’t ‘hate’ riding 450L for 6000 Kms last year to Maroc and back
The key word in your last sentence is ‘he’. I’ve not ridden a 450L but I’ve ridden enough stuff over the years to know that it wouldn’t be for me.
It’s all personal taste.

Don’t go buying a bike because a bloke on YouTube likes it.....
johnnyboxer

Yamaha T7 review/insight

Post by johnnyboxer »

OnHellas wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 pm I spoke to Dave Lomax last night and whilst he liked the T7, he fave bike at the moment for do it all, was still the Honda CRF 450L

The key word in your last sentence is ‘he’. I’ve not ridden a 450L but I’ve ridden enough stuff over the years to know that it wouldn’t be for me.
It’s all personal taste.

I wouldn’t buy one without trying it
T7 was a nice bike to ride, 450L May be nicer - but not ridden one
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 pm
OnHellas wrote:

It’s all personal taste.

I wouldn’t buy one without trying it
T7 was a nice bike to ride, 450L May be nicer - but not ridden one
I’ve ridden neither but have ordered a T7 for May delivery.
Some say I may be foolish with my purchase decision and maybe I am.

However, we are also in the process of buying a property to live in.....we haven’t had a test sleep in the place, neither of us took a shower or even had a pee...none of these were offered either....but we still want to go ahead with the purchase. We didn’t even get to watch a video of someone who had slept there.

In case you’re wondering, the property is slightly more money than the bike.

Return to “BIKES”