Adventure bike options?

The Things We Ride
chunky butt

Re: Adventure bike options?

Post by chunky butt »

Here's mine, great bike did 10,500km with pif in france, spain,Portugal, Morocco, western Sahara,and back to france. As an all round there superb, but I found them top heavy for me off road, but still very capable. Up for sale soon, be sad to see her go.
20170501_101338.jpg
20170501_101338.jpg (213.75 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Oh bollocks, always cringe when I post photos .
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

All prepped and ready for your Australian tour, Stevey?

BTW, are we still on for this Sunday at your place?
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

To assess the 660Z's durability & robustness, have a look at Spencer Conway's website/blog... the bike has circumnavigated Africa & S. America and now Central America, and has done a phenomenal mileage. Contact him with any queries, he's very approachable.
As said, the Z is a durable jack of all trades, what I'd class as an all-roads bike. It certainly isn't a nimble trail bike like the GP450 which I had the pleasure of using a couple of years ago.
If I were going for a 660 again, I'd possibly opt for the trail bike (R) version (as already mentioned in a previous post) for weight saving and a lower C of G.
Albert 888

Post by Albert 888 »

OK I'm making an executive decision to go for the xt660z, it's ticking alot of boxes for me and I'd rather ride my bike than be fixing it all the time.
Is the xt660z top heavy because of the fuel tank or just the way it is, I don't have to brim it as its better on fuel than most of the other stuff I've looked at.
I've done quite a bit of research on them and done an extensive list of stuff to make it better and lighter offroad, so I can tinker with it till the cows come home, my basic idea was to buy a xt660z ride it as is then buy a doner wrf/yz/exc and use all the bits that I need off it then sell everything I have left.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Yes it can be but it's a brilliant choice, absolutely loved mine and would've kept it forever had circumstances been different.

I'm 5.9 and managed perfectly fine, you'll love it.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Albert 888 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:58 pm OK I'm making an executive decision to go for the xt660z, it's ticking alot of boxes for me and I'd rather ride my bike than be fixing it all the time.
Is the xt660z top heavy because of the fuel tank or just the way it is, I don't have to brim it as its better on fuel than most of the other stuff I've looked at.
I've done quite a bit of research on them and done an extensive list of stuff to make it better and lighter offroad, so I can tinker with it till the cows come home, my basic idea was to buy a xt660z ride it as is then buy a doner wrf/yz/exc and use all the bits that I need off it then sell everything I have left.
I was in a similar dilemma a few years back. Either the 660 or the KTM adventure.
I was leaning towards the Yamaha but then I got wind of a very well sorted KTM 950 adventure. Which I bought knowing that I could easily get my money back on it if I didn't get on with it.
With in a month of owning it I was off to the Yamaha tenere school in Wales. ( A raffle prize win😎) I was very keen to test the 660 and the 1200 to put my mind to rest on my purchase of the KTM
Well within 10 mins of being on the 660 I knew I had made the right choice, whilst the Yamaha was very capable off road and really fun and it was light and able to throw it around. Also being light when dropped quite easy to pick up.
On the road I found it very underwhelming even boring.

The 1200 was an absolute blast to ride on the road and off road was more fun than 660 but I couldn't take it where I took the 660 and picking that up would of been impossible.
All in the KTM I think is better all round bike than the Yamaha.

I would.advise you have a good test ride on both, beg borrow or steal a bike do some riding that you are going to do a bit of road and off road. Then make your choice
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

No one has mentioned a gs800.tall bike fantastic mpg and a good do it all bike.
Noppy

Post by Noppy »

A.k.a. WK400 inUK.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CLT-L29 met Tapatalk

Last edited by Noppy on Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert 888

Post by Albert 888 »

The ktm is a bit thirsty on paper and a bit heavier than the 660z. Also the s and r versions are hard to find and a bit dearer than the 660z.
Looked at the bmw when looking at the tiger, wasn't to keen.

On the yamaha xt660z forum now so I better get one, thanks for all the info I've took most on board.

Return to “BIKES”