BMW g650 x country??

The Things We Ride
Darren s

BMW g650 x country??

Post by Darren s »

83F5A035-DFF4-4B8D-9777-C34E6BBA5C13.png
83F5A035-DFF4-4B8D-9777-C34E6BBA5C13.png (599.01 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
Hi all I’ve been to look at a g650 x country and just seeing what people think of them? Can I buy adventure upgrades ok for it ? and what should I be paying as I can’t find any others to compare it to.

It’s a 2007
7000 miles
2 owners
7 months mot
Very good condition no marks other than a bit of paint flake on wheels and a little on front of the engine dew to road grime.
As I said just after people’s thoughts as it wasn’t a bike on my radar and I don’t know anything about them.
johnnyboxer

BMW g650 x country??

Post by johnnyboxer »

I had one and sold it after a year
Not exciting
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
GFJ1

Re: BMW g650 x country??

Post by GFJ1 »

I like the G650x series of bikes. Have several x challenges in various states of adventurisation, and a x country. X country is more scrambler in style, and only really suitable for tamer off road.

They are understressed, economical and probably master of nothing. Have a fairly big following on advrider and uksger.

Yours I'd expect to be 3 grandish, maybe a little more, but it does vary
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

They're great bikes. I have the 2009 (Yellow). It's been faultless, taken me all over. Russian, Mongolia, Kazakhstan , Turkey etc and will be hopefully doing a lot of central Asia again later this year. It's light (Which is something most bikes seem to have forgotten how to do), quick enough unless your want to just fly from place to place on the motorway and reliable.

"Adventure" upgrades are available from Hotrod Welding. They do a nice rear rack and large auxiliary tank to increase the range. These guys do bash plates, sprocket covers and things for them https://scheffelmeier-metall.de/BMW-G-6 ... anguage=en

There are a few things that are good to sort out. The clutch cover may be an issue with the one listed, but an easy fix. The gear lever should be changed as should some of the spacers on the rear wheel I seem to recall.

See the ADVRider thread and chap called Matt (Mattsnook I think his website is) for proactive maintenance and upgrades.

Similar to above. But I wouldn't pay more than about £2.5 to £2.7k for the one above. But then again, I'm tight :)
Darren s

Post by Darren s »

DanielS wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:07 am They're great bikes. I have the 2009 (Yellow). It's been faultless, taken me all over. Russian, Mongolia, Kazakhstan , Turkey etc and will be hopefully doing a lot of central Asia again later this year. It's light (Which is something most bikes seem to have forgotten how to do), quick enough unless your want to just fly from place to place on the motorway and reliable.

"Adventure" upgrades are available from Hotrod Welding. They do a nice rear rack and large auxiliary tank to increase the range. These guys do bash plates, sprocket covers and things for them https://scheffelmeier-metall.de/BMW-G-6 ... anguage=en

There are a few things that are good to sort out. The clutch cover may be an issue with the one listed, but an easy fix. The gear lever should be changed as should some of the spacers on the rear wheel I seem to recall.

See the ADVRider thread and chap called Matt (Mattsnook I think his website is) for proactive maintenance and upgrades.

Similar to above. But I wouldn't pay more than about £2.5 to £2.7k for the one above. But then again, I'm tight :)
Lots of good info thanks, nice to know you can get some after market bits. I only went to look at it really as it was a few miles from home but I must admit it looked good.
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

I have a G650GS which I really like. As one person says, its not going to light up the road, but its sturdy, easy to ride, and there is a fair bit of aftermarket goodies around to make it a mid weight adventurer and light green lane machine.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

An old thread brought back to life hey!

Geecee, the G650GS is nothing like the X Country, the only similarity is the fact it is a 650 single. The X Country, X Challenge and X Moto (all same engine and chassis, just different styling and wheels) sport the 53hp Rotax built engine, built in the Aprilia factory and the X Country weighs just 158kgs FUELLED. The G650GS is a 47hp version of the engine built in China in the Loncin plant, in a heavier chassis, with different styling again. The G650GS weighs in at 192kgs dry.

The two bikes are similar in concept, but miles apart in execution. I have had both, the X bikes are a Unicorn of a bike - in the modern era the Husky 701 is closest in concept. This isn't to demeanour the G650 in any way, simply to point out that they were different bikes aimed at different sectors of the market.

My 2007 X Country as she is now - the Scorpion can saves about 7kgs and releases more torque through the engine breathing more freely, it is a little rorty though. I have put an extra tooth on the front to give her longer legs, now running a 16/47 setup which she will pull in top at 43mph on the flat, with some gear loaded. The best return I have got is 92mpg, she averages about 80mpg on runs. I did the South West Spring Rally on her last year (April) which involved 769 miles in the one day, mostly on unclassified or B roads. These 650 singles, all of the derivatives, are very capable machines and exceedingly reliable.
DSC_2179.web.jpg
DSC_2179.web.jpg (159.63 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
mileometer.web.jpg
mileometer.web.jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
DSCN8534.web.jpg
DSCN8534.web.jpg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that, Simon ..
so which bike do you consider to be the best overall 650 (or mid size) adventure bike .. 701 ? .. GS ? T7 ? etc etc ..
in terms of performance, weight, reliability, suitability etc etc ??
(for and average to good rider [that's not me btw])
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Garyboy - I wouldn't touch a moden bike with a bargepole! They are too complicated with innecessary electronics, too expensive, won't last like an older bike - yes they, might, have better suspension, they are snaffled for emissions, full of gadgets and widgets that nobody needs - 'wants' or 'likes' is not the same as 'needs'. How much is a new one of the ones you have suggested? Husky 701 is £9000 or so - you could buy THREE X Countries for that money! I take it you only want one bike though, which leaves you £6000 to buy some aftermarket suspension (mine is still on standard from 2007), have the seat padded and covered to your preference (£175, maximum). Heated grips? £100. You still have £5000 in your wallet! :mrgreen:

Return to “BIKES”