Triumph to BMW, new GS owner

The Things We Ride
peejay1977

Re: Triumph to BMW, new GS owner

Post by peejay1977 »

gbags wrote:Lovely bike!

If you really want to see what it can do, get it up into the Alps. They are truly great bikes.
That’s the plan for August next year. Myself and my wife did the Pyrenees this year on my 1200 Explorer but she wants to do the Alps next and so do I lol
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

What you think of the Triumph 1200 Explorer then? Have you owned it long? I keep looking at them and think "I'd like one at some point".

I like the hassle free shaft-drive and triple cylinder engine! There's one for sale locally at a motorcycle dealership which is a 2012 model, two owners from new with 36k miles for £5,495..........any good?

Cheers;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
peejay1977

Post by peejay1977 »

macvisual wrote:What you think of the Triumph 1200 Explorer then? Have you owned it long? I keep looking at them and think "I'd like one at some point".

I like the hassle free shaft-drive and triple cylinder engine! There's one for sale locally at a motorcycle dealership which is a 2012 model, two owners from new with 36k miles for £5,495..........any good?

Cheers;
Peter
Hi Peter, I owned mine for 3 and a bit years and covered about 13,000 miles so not a high mileage rider.

However, the one I had was a generation 2 which had some better parts than the 2012, most notably the suspension and front brakes. Plus some styling.

I found the 2012 model brakes very under powered for the size of the bike but I’m sure there’s ways to improve that.

What I can say about the later generations is that they have no luck of grunt despite being heavy. But the weight is very high up and you can feel it at a standstill. That said once moving it handles beautifully (I can’t remember how the earlier version handled as I only test rode it).

Overall it was a lovely bike but for me the build quality was a let down in some areas but it’s possible my experience wasn’t that of every owner.

My 2 biggest gripes with it were the immense engine heat, I’m talking roasting your nads kind of level which a lot of owners complain about and also the clutch lever even if adjusted in fully has a very high biting point which cannot be simply adjusted as it’s hydraulic. I did ask the dealer and they said “they’re all like that”

Those that I know who have them rate them highly but that does seem quite a high price for the mileage and age. I’m sure there’s better deals around for that.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

peejay1977 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:41 pm
macvisual wrote:What you think of the Triumph 1200 Explorer then? Have you owned it long? I keep looking at them and think "I'd like one at some point".

Cheers;
Peter
Hi Peter, I owned mine for 3 and a bit years and covered about 13,000 miles so not a high mileage rider.

However, the one I had was a generation 2 which had some better parts than the 2012, most notably the suspension and front brakes. Plus some styling.

I found the 2012 model brakes very under powered for the size of the bike but I’m sure there’s ways to improve that.

What I can say about the later generations is that they have no luck of grunt despite being heavy. But the weight is very high up and you can feel it at a standstill. That said once moving it handles beautifully (I can’t remember how the earlier version handled as I only test rode it).

Overall it was a lovely bike but for me the build quality was a let down in some areas but it’s possible my experience wasn’t that of every owner.

My 2 biggest gripes with it were the immense engine heat, I’m talking roasting your nads kind of level which a lot of owners complain about and also the clutch lever even if adjusted in fully has a very high biting point which cannot be simply adjusted as it’s hydraulic. I did ask the dealer and they said “they’re all like that”

Those that I know who have them rate them highly but that does seem quite a high price for the mileage and age. I’m sure there’s better deals around for that.
I’ve owned my 2013 Explorer from new, ridden all over Europe and now approaching 40k. It hasn’t missed a beat and I wouldn’t swap it for the world. The below link is a 3 year review I posted on here 3 years ago. Nothing has changed. Yes it has issues for some riders, as for me as mentioned in my review. Hope it’s of help.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42686

Return to “BIKES”