Suspension query

The Things We Ride
Ade8

Suspension query

Post by Ade8 »

Hi all, hope someone can please help me out.

I'm considering dropping a set of progressive front springs into my '19 DL650, to replace the standard linears which are also non-adjustable.
I've been informed by the dealer that this will help to eliminate the intial fork dive under braking which I am finding slightly troublesome from time to time.

Can anyone please advise:
1/ Will this have the desired effect as the dealer states?
2/ How will it likely affect other handling characteristics?
Preferably I'd be grateful for opinions/advice for both On and light to moderate Off road use?
3/ Any advice/links, on/to other products and/or websites which might offer me some options, information?
4/ Is there a way to convert the Wee to adjustable front suspension?

FYI
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to bike suspension, so if you could please keep any answers to as few syllables as possible I'd be eternally grateful

Thanks all
Ade x

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

zimtim

Re: Suspension query

Post by zimtim »

Give these guys a call.
Really know their stuff and if it can be done they will be able to do it.

Really quick turnaround when I had my KTM forks and rear shock rebuilt.
All done to my weight my riding style etc
https://www.revsracing.co.uk/aboutus.htm
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Read up on Google about spring rates and linear verses progressive.... As you brake the weight transfers forward and compresses the springs... If they are too soft for the weight then you need harder ones... All the info is on the Web... What do folks on the huge advrider.com say under the vstrom section... Its huge.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Glenn_G

Post by Glenn_G »

as other said
1) probably
2) slow down steering a little, as front end does not dive as much
3) google specific areas of concern should help
4) maybe kits out there - again google

Another cheaper option is to add in different length plastic spacers (plumbing pipe wickes, etc) to top of springs eg 10mm first then try 20mm, etc
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

I believe the 19 650 Vstrom still has damper rod forks with progressive springs fitted, my 06 Wee has. A better solution is to fit a set of "imitators" to mimic a cartridge fork.
There are loads of threads on https://www.v-strom.co.uk and https://www.stromtrooper.com

Just Google

PD fork valves
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I don't have any experience of this bike but one thing that's worth doing on any bike before spending any money is to set everything to standard (compression, rebound, sag, pre-load). A lot of bikes, both new and secondhand, have the suspension set up weirdly by a previous owner or incorrectly at the factory or even in error during the PDI... and going back to standard can make a huge difference...then take it from there if it needs further adjustment.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Ade8

Post by Ade8 »

Great info thanks all

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Broadly speaking
progressive springs versus straight rate is something to use if you want to stop bottoming out whilst retaining a reasonably soft initial travel.

All else being equal they are little help for brake dive, in fact quite the opposite, the bloke in the shop was talking bollox.
Its a trick............get an Axe
Ade8

Post by Ade8 »

Asgard wrote:Broadly speaking
progressive springs versus straight rate is something to use if you want to stop bottoming out whilst retaining a reasonably soft initial travel.

All else being equal they are little help for brake dive, in fact quite the opposite, the bloke in the shop was talking bollox.
Thanks Asgard think you just saved me a few quid there m8 cheers Image, and also I think my future custom will be going elsewhere other than that dealers too ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Its a fine art to get it right.
2 types of springs
Re valving
Different oil grades SAE
Progressive springs can sit lower and sag more where as linear springs can be firmer and less forgiving.
As suggested go to a local suspension expert and get the standard suspension set up correctly for your weight as they are, then talk about what you want to achieve if not suitable
Hope that helps

Return to “BIKES”