Post by Tink »

Has anyone got an Honda NC 700 ????
Are they any good???
Opinions and reviews please??
Thanks πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ‘
Slowboy

Re: Honda NC 700 opinions??

Post by Slowboy »

Had one for 4 years when they were new. Excellent as a comfortable do it all bike with low but enough power. Fitting a shad seat makes a big difference in you're a high miler though.
Easy to maintain yourself and a reliable as a reliable thing.
I am aware of at least one with over 200,000 miles on it that has only needed regular maintenance and the usual consumables. Still going very strongly too.

They're not fast, handle pretty well and are amazingly economical.

The NC700 forum uk is an excellent resource as well.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
Tink

Post by Tink »

Slowboy wrote: ↑Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:01 pm Had one for 4 years when they were new. Excellent as a comfortable do it all bike with low but enough power. Fitting a shad seat makes a big difference in you're a high miler though.
Easy to maintain yourself and a reliable as a reliable thing.
I am aware of at least one with over 200,000 miles on it that has only needed regular maintenance and the usual consumables. Still going very strongly too.

They're not fast, handle pretty well and are amazingly economical.

The NC700 forum uk is an excellent resource as well.
Thanks Slowboy πŸ‘πŸ‘.....
What they like for leg room??.
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Well I'm 6'1" with 34" inseam (lanky beggar) and it was fine. Mine was an NC700X. The S is the same ergonomically, but the suspension is about an inch shorter, so easier to reach the ground for the shorter of leg.
They are just a good solid bike.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
Tink

Post by Tink »

Slowboy wrote: ↑Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:05 am Well I'm 6'1" with 34" inseam (lanky beggar) and it was fine. Mine was an NC700X. The S is the same ergonomically, but the suspension is about an inch shorter, so easier to reach the ground for the shorter of leg.
They are just a good solid bike.

That's good to know Slowboy πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
crofty

Post by crofty »

I had a 700x for 6 years and nearly 60k, as already said easy to work on and very cheap to run.
If you want ergonomics go to this site and type your measurements in. http://cycle-ergo.com/
I had mine all over Europe with a couple of trips to Morocco, very reliable and will cruise in the 80s on the motorway.
I bought a V strom just because i fancied a change but may go back to one if it does,nt work out.
bulgaria 001.JPG
bulgaria 001.JPG (163.57 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Tink

Post by Tink »

Thanks πŸ‘. ... Good website that ergonomics πŸ‘Œ
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

I had thw NC750X for a while. I hated it, and sold it asap. the riding position is very uncomfortable. It's fast enough most of the time, but if you're not just trundling along, and try to go a bit quicker, it just runs out of revs all the time, and when it hits the rev limiter it's like hitting a wall.
It's annoying having to take the seat off to put fuel in. The frunk is useful though.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

if you like power, raw guts and balls out fun .. you are gonna be disappointed.

if you like fabulous eye-turning looks .. you gonna be a bit embarrassed at times.

if you want to keep up with high-powered, high-revving superbikes or high capacity adventure bikes .. you gonna have a heart ache .. over short distances anyway.

what you will be surprised at is the reasonable comfort, happy fuel economy, and the surprising way you cover long distances very easily, and how you can usually overtake that power-bike that overtook you earlier in a wild and roaring manner.
you will gently slip past the sports bike hooligan that got exhausted after about 20 miles .. and just keep going .. and going.
you will need to plan overtakes more than most motorbikes need to .. but this can be done easily by an experienced distance rider (like me :lol: )

I have got the NC 750s dct ... i think the dct is great, but i have to flick the lever Down a bit too often, usually about 3 times as i enter a bend .. and that Slowly, to suit the dct brain. .. and then another 3 times Down to get some movement going as i accelerate out of the bend ... but you do get used to it. (the newer ones have changed the mode gearing apparently, so may be better?)

at normal legal speeds it is fine .. and you can get a really nice flow going .. riding long a and b roads, and overtaking with some foresight. .. it is planted and stable and confidence inspiring .. ... ... But .. can be dull if you stick to one type of riding.

it is quite difficult to get it to ride excitingly .. but it can be done .. tho it feels like you area wringing its neck just to keep up with the guy in front .. .. … b u t … that guy will eventually slow down and you can just sail past, like its so easy, and you will be surprised how quickly you got There.

the dct model has the option to use Manual mode .. and that is when you will rev out and the engine will just stop, basically ..quite interesting when overtaking a lorry and a car zooming at ya from the other way …. but Manual mode is the quickest way .. just watch out for the limiter.

sometimes the dct will kick in .. usually Up .. just when you dant want it to … on a hill, on a bend .. think devils stairway in wales .. and you can have a private moment you dont want … so best to use Manual in these circumstances. ……. I would recommend the dct !! though. as you can relax most of the time and not even change at all if you wish .. it will not stall when you stop .. very reliable for that.

I usually use the auto mode, in Sport, and just change up or down with the manual flippers. .. works fine … tho can be boring at times.

its pretty easy on tyres, as you might guess, being a gentle distance and touring type beast … and I usually do 77mpg .. tho in Drive mode this can easily go to 83mpg ….. the other day, I noticed that my front tyre was very badly worn, with the white plastic canvas showing in places .. so I did 40mph home for 40 miles or so … the mpg, shown on the dash, never went below 99mpg ?? it wont show over 100mpg.

talking of 100 … it can do that all day on the motorway, my mate says, but you got to work at it to keep the revs up .. and you got to wait 6 months to see if a nip comes through coz its a motorway .. my mate says.

Image20170312_160907 (2)bb by gary boy, on Flickr

Image20170402_165014bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb by gary boy, on Flickr

I was going to buy New .. but did not like the matt black and red colours .. so got a very low mileage used .. coz I like the black gloss colour .. not many around.

though I did like the Red NC750X .. looked and felt fabulous to ride … king of the road … turned heads (the bike I mean) .. but it was a bit too tall and I just wanted to knock around wales, especially the b roads of mid wales, so this one suited me better ..

in future .. apart from getting a new tyre, and replacing the blown front fork seal again, I may upgrade the suspension, and raise the bars .. but I doubt it, due to cost.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I too had a 700X when they first came on the market. It was brilliant for my commute - quite comfy, very economic & reliable etc. It also handled reasonably well. What mainly made me get rid of it was doing a tour to Spain & Portugal. After more lengthy rides I found the riding position was not ideal - in short, the pegs seemed too high and/or the seat too low, which felt cramped leg/knee-wise. That's at 6'1" with 33" leg. The other thing for me was that it lacked that 'spark' associated with riding enjoyment. As said, a superb bike in many respects but ultimately not for me. Had I needed it only for my short-ish commute I probably would have kept it.

Return to β€œBIKES”